Star Wars TIE Fighter

Smiffy

Star Wars TIE Fighter

Revell easykit

Box%20Art.jpg

The TIE fighter needs little introduction. It became one of the most memorable ships from the original Star Wars trilogy thanks to it’s unique layout and the use of some very distinctive sound effects. It is the mainstay of the Imperial fighter fleet. A short range fighter with no shields or hyper drive, it is cheap to mass produce and is designed to overwhelm it’s enemies using superior numbers.

The kit

Sprue%201.jpg

The latest in their Star Wars easykit range, Revell’s TIE Fighter comprises of 34 parts. The kit is moulded in colour, the main parts being the distinctive blue-grey (equivalent to Pactra Stormy Sea Blue) of the craft as featured in “The Empire Strikes Back” and “Return of the Jedi”. One clear sprue is included, holding the forward cockpit and overhead canopy glasses. This is separately bagged, along with the one piece pilot figure.

Sprue%202.jpg

Construction begins with a nicely appointed cockpit, built up from a floor, seat, control column, rear bulkhead, two sidewalls and a forward bulkhead. Anyone who is familiar with the TIE Fighter office will recognise the parts here and it looks as if everything is where it’s supposed to be. The detail on the sidewalls and forward bulkhead looks very well moulded. Being pre-painted, some of these details have already been picked out in various colours. All the parts have a light ‘dry brushed’ effect to them. There’s nothing to stop you having a bit of a repaint here though, if so desired.

Sprue%203.jpg

The cockpit is completed with the addition of the Pilot figure. As typical with Revell’s SW kits, he is moulded in a soft vinyl type material. The detail looks good and the paint job doesn’t look too bad, actually. I think I’d be inclined to repaint the silver respirator tubes, but overall it’s quite a good representation.

Sprue%204.jpg

The completed cockpit assembly is attached to the lower half of the cockpit ball and the upper half has the overhead hatch added, which is designed to be operable. The two halves of the cockpit ball are brought together, trapping the front screen and rear face piece (part 17) , in between. The two laser cannons are then added below the cockpit screen.

Wing%20Hub%20Close%20Up.jpg

Attention then turns to the wings. Each wing is moulded in two halves. The main part is the solar panel array, which has the star framework moulded integrally on the inner surface. You then add the outer wing star frame as a separate piece. The detail moulded around the hub of the wing is superb. This area is just crying out for a light wash, just to accent all that lovely detail.

Pilot.jpg

The wings are brought together with the cockpit section . An end cap is then fitted to each wing hub. All that’s left then is to click the four part stand together and then you’re done.

Clear%20Sprue.jpg

As a final note, Revell claim that this kit is 1:65 scale. I would have to disagree here. It’s much bigger than that. Out of interest, I pulled a couple of other TIE kits out of the stash to compare it with. The Finemolds 1:72 kit and the old AMT twin pack model. I believe that the accepted scale for the AMT TIE is somewhere around the 1:51 area. Well the Revell one is larger than the AMT kit and almost twice as big as the FM model.

Cockpit%20Ball%20comparison.jpg

Most welcome, this development is.

Conclusion

It would be very easy for us ‘serious’ modellers to overlook these kits, due to their snap together nature and pre-painted finishes. However, I don’t believe they should be dismissed so easily. This kit is attractively priced, designed to fit together with ease and features some lovely detail. It’s also the largest TIE Fighter model that’s available in injection moulded plastic.

Whether you decide to knock it together as a fun build or go for a full repaint, I think you’ll end up with a model that looks "most impressive".

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers. For further information visit

logo-revell-2009.gif

• Like 1

This kit is attractively priced

If only that were true in this part of the world! The Australian importer/distributor for Revell slaps an enormous margin on the Revell Star Wars kits. Only the SW kits mind! -- other Revell kits (aircraft, etc.) are generally quite reasonably priced. In this neck of the woods, we're much better off importing them from overseas -- which still means that none of them are really "cheap", since most of them attract relatively hefty shipping charges.

Nice review Smiffy, they are very good kits, particularly to get younger builders interested in the hobby.

Good to see that they have tried to replicate the "stormy sea blue" Colour used on the film models rather than the plain grey that some have used.

My 4 year old (almost 5) loves these Revell Star Wars Kits - we've been getting the half-price ones from TK-Maxx.

Format it great for him - needs a little help from his irresponsible adult - but results have been great without the need for any hairy stick trauma.

This one looks equally good!

Tough enough to be played with too (in fact he currently has the 'fleet' out on the living room floor).

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Its interesting to see how different in detail each kit differs. How does the Tie fighter pilot match up with a 1/48 pilot or even 1/35?

Got a a 1/35 Tie fighter resin kit might pick one of these up to see how much scale difference their is. There has been much discussion of the scale over at SSM with this pic of the vader Tie (1/35?) next to the new revell tie. ( photo by blakeyh1 on SSM)

IMG_1513.jpg

I would probably put it in the 1/40's.

Edited by Pilgrim_UK

• 1 year later...

Bought a couple of these from Model Zone in Milton Keynes recently (Nine quid a pop... can't argue with that!) Suprisingly good kit and the scope for super-detailing and painting is enormous. Certainly a huge improvement on the manky old AMT / ETRL kit.

Cheers.

Chris.