1/48 Martian War Machine (1953 version)

I only recently became aware of this forum, but there is so much excellent modeling going on here I decided to join, even if I'm an American. (The UK isn't totally alien to me, though. I have even been to Swindon. Once.)

Anyway, here is some of what I'm working on. (If you're on the SSM forum, you may have seen this already.)

I am a big fan of the 1953 movie War of the Worlds. I remember watching it as a child. It was both terrifying and fascinating! I have always wanted a model of the MWM, and didn't even know this kit was coming out when I popped into a hobby shop on my way home from work. Lucky thing they weren't charging twice the price, since I had to have it immediately! Unfortunately, I didn't seem to need to finish it immediately, but that's how it goes...

7032246013_4f7513542f_b.jpg

I am keeping a build log, where those with a high tolerance for tedium may read about my travails, and those without may look at pictures:

Pegasus 1/48 Martian War Machine--WIP Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Very impressive. Part 2 link seems down at the moment - but part 1 and 3 working. The motor noise may sound very different once you get the body closed up - a "sound effect" perhaps (unless there is a better sound effect on the movie - cheap mp3 player and speaker in the base?).

anthony

Gruffy, Anthony, Smiffy - thanks! Glad you like it. The motor itself is rather quiet; it's the gears that make the noise, but once they're aligned properly and the motor shaft is held in place, the noise will be much less. Especially closed up inside.

Anthony: don't make me think of adding sound effects, I'll never get this project done. ;)

Smiffy: the MWM in your pic has a short metal cylinder added between the base and the model. Do you know what that is? It really is a cool model, excellent fit. This kit isn't what modelers expect these days though: not much detail or opportunity to add detail. Lots of diorama possibilities, though.

Smiffy: the MWM in your pic has a short metal cylinder added between the base and the model. Do you know what that is?

Only a guess, but possibly it holds some thin watch batteries to power the LEDs?.