Any interest in MLs, CMBs in 1/144th scale?

RogerP

Hello from Oz,

The topic title says it all, I'm looking for any interest in the following models/kits in 1/144th scale --

The Elco built 80' ML.

The 40' and 55' CMB's and

The US Sub Chaser.

These can either be supplied as built models or kits with both including crew figures and brass etch railings etc.

Cheers,

Roger.

Bendigo, Australia.

Hello 'Shar2',

The craft listed are British, well at least two are and my post here concerns WW1 boats. The Elco built MLs were built for the RN.

I've also posted in the WW2 section and have noted your interest in 'dog' boats, you are the first person to do so..............so far.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello 'Shar2',

The craft listed are British, well at least two are and my post here concerns WW1 boats. The Elco built MLs were built for the RN.

I've also posted in the WW2 section and have noted your interest in 'dog' boats, you are the first person to do so..............so far.

Thanks. I didn't realise Elco built stuff for the RN, so I've learnt something new. :speak_cool:

Thanks. I didn't realise Elco built stuff for the RN, so I've learnt something new. :speak_cool:

Yes Dave, I believe the Elco company built something like 550 boats in less than a year, pretty good going I should think in 1916.

Cheers,

Roger.

PS: Are there any WW2 craft that particularly interest you?

Roger. Apart from the Dog boats I really like the Vosper 73ft craft, particularly the more heavily armed versions, BPB 72ft 6" and the RAF ASR whalebacks. Boats like the Grey Goose/Denny class would also be nice to see in 1/144. Post war I would love to see the Dark/Brave and Gay classes done and either Cutlass, Sabre or Scimitar which I used to see racing around the Solent when I was a kid.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave (Shar2),

I have noted your interest and yes both the 73' Vosper (type 1) MTB like the Airfix kit and the SGB are on my 'to do' list. I actually have card models of both too. I just re-read your last post and you actually refer to the type 2 armed with a 6pdr, not a problem can do both.

I have a coupla questions though -- by BPB 72'6" do you mean the 71'6" MGB OR the 71'9" MTB? Both are also on my list as is the ASR launch and am I right in assuming you mean the one like the Airfix kit?

Sorry, meant the 71' 6" MGB, all those you've mentioned would be very nice. This is getting very worrying for my wallet. :yikes:

Sorry, meant the 71' 6" MGB, all those you've mentioned would be very nice. This is getting very worrying for my wallet. :yikes:

I wouldn't worry tooooooo much Dave, these things take time sometimes quite a bit. Depending on expressions of interest this will govern whether I do card kits with resin parts OR a full blown resin kit and I like to think they won't be tooooo expensive. I don't believe in charging like a wounded bull.

• 9 months later...

Hello from Oz,

The topic title says it all, I'm looking for any interest in the following models/kits in 1/144th scale --

The Elco built 80' ML.

The 40' and 55' CMB's and

The US Sub Chaser.

These can either be supplied as built models or kits with both including crew figures and brass etch railings etc.

Cheers,

Roger.

Bendigo, Australia.

Roger,

Demand for these would probably depend on the materials used and the price, especially as they have to come from Australia. I've often thought that Airfix made a mistake, however understandable, when they chose 1/72 for their boat kits. All the subjects you mention are interesting. There's very little available for WW1 and any such subjects would find a market.

You might consider a Fairmile B motor launch for WW2. A basic hull and main structures could be issued with a wide variety of details as these boats were built or adapted for all sorts of roles. Another versatile subject might be one of the 60' steam launches carried by large warships in the Royal Navy from Victorian times to, at least, the 1920's.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck with your project.

Gordon McLaughlin

Hello Gordon,

Initially I'm making the models from card and given there are no card kits of WW1 craft available I'm designing my own, by hand I might add as I don't have any programmes nor the knowledge to do them otherwise. Plus I don't always have access to our computer here at home. I like the idea of doing card models initially as it allows the ability to rescale to any scale/size required, I mainly do 1/144th scale and have 'tinkered' with 1/72nd and 1/35th scales. If I start to get more interest in a particular model then we seriously consider producing a resin kit.

I actually have available now a 1/144th scale resin Fairmile B class ML. The reason being, apart from it being my favourite 'little ship' it is the one I've had most orders for, mainly here in OZ initially but lately the US, Canada and the UK. I was doing the fittings/weapons etc as resin castings anyway and I do the railings and other parts as a brass etch.

I like to think my prices are reasonable (I've been told I should charge considerably more, at least double!!) and the price includes postage so my customers know straight away what they are up for, I don't have any other hidden charges.

Cheers,

Roger in OZ,

Bendigo, Australia.

• 1 year later...

Hello Chaps,

A wee little update on the above. My first kit release will be the Fairmile B class ML, around 60-70% brass etch with the hull in resin as are the guns, fittings and crew figures etc.

I'm still 'playing around' with the parts drawing, by hand initially then having a friend convert this to the appropriate file type for etching. The purchaser of this kit will have a two build options, these being ML 145 an early war 'generic' ship armed with a 3pdr up front and one 20mm aft. The other option being ML 306 of 'Op Chariot' fame, this one actually made it out of the estuary but ran into the German TBD 'Jaguar', ten times her size tonnage wise. Against three 4.1" guns, 20mm's and other quick firers the ML only had a twin Lewis gun, some Brens and 'tommy guns' manned by the commando's. It was here that SGT Tom Durrant RE was awarded a posthumous VC on the recommendation of the German captain for taking on the destroyer with the Lewis gun.

I'm not stating a release date because I simply don't have one.............yet.

Enough waffling for now.

• 5 months later...

Just caught up with this tread. Nice to learn your series has launched for 2015.

I would be very interested in the WW1 Thorneycroft 40" and 55' CMBs.

Best wishes

• 2 months later...