Iwata airbrush help please

billybookcase

I plan to take the plunge, and rather than buy a cheap airbrush and upgrade later on I am thinking of getting a good one straight off.

I will be using it for modelling obviously, but also I do a bit of painting pictures.

There are an awful lot to choose from under £200.

I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction of the for and against of the different versions.

Many thanks

BB

With that sort of money you could get a High Performance Plus HP-C which as a 0.3 nozzle or maybe a High-Line HP-CH which has got a built in MAC valve which allows you to fine tune the air pressure this is one of the Iwattas I use, i've had it coming up to 4 years now and it not only looks like the day I bought it, it performs the same as well. The only thing i've had to replace is a needle which was down to me dropping it and rather than risk damaging the nozzle I replaced it. I also use a Revolution which has a 0.5 nozzle. I use that for general work and the HP-CH for say mottling and the detailed stuff.

I've had a play with other airbrushes at model shows but none of them feel the same as Iwattas. They are just a great solid no frills airbrush.

Edited by tank152

With that sort of money you could get a High Performance Plus HP-C which as a 0.3 nozzle or maybe a High-Line HP-CH which has got a built in MAC valve which allows you to fine tune the air pressure this is one of the Iwattas I use, i've had it coming up to 4 years now and it not only looks like the day I bought it, it preforms the same as well. The only thing i've had to replace is a needle which was down to me dropping it and rather than risk damaging the nozzle I replaced it. I also use a Revolution which has a 0.5 nozzle. I use that for general work and the HP-CH for say mottling and the detailed stuff.

I've had a play with other airbrushes at model shows but none of them feel the same as Iwattas. They are just a great solid no frills airbrush.

I've got an HP-c too, had it since 1985. Solid and no problems getting new bits when they finally wear!

F

HP-CH by a mile, fantastic all rounder, does very fine work and wider too nicely. The MAC valve is very useful and easy to use. It's my general use airbrush, you won't regret getting one.

Edited by turnerdad

CH is a good all rounder, I should have one on my stand at Cosford this weekend if you want to have a look at one.

The Eclipse CS is also a good general purpose easy to clean brush, a lot depends on the type of subjects you are going to be building.

Paul

little-cars

The Eclipse CS is also a good general purpose easy to clean brush, a lot depends on the type of subjects you are going to be building.

I've had an Eclipse CS for a while now, they're an excellent little tool, and are to be highly recommended.

It can do relatively fine lines, certainly fine enough for "mottling" on 48th scale aircraft.

A good bit cheaper than the CH too.

Been thinking of upgrading to the HP-CH, but, personally, I'm not really sure if I need the extra capability.

But should I decide to upgrade then the CH will be my weapon of choice.

Horses for Courses.

Edited by pte1643

You don't need to spend all that money try the Badger 200 I have been using them for the last 40 years and they are no trouble and no nonsense brushes get the medium set for all modelling and if you want to do fine artwork use the fine set.

Ted

Thanks for all the replies.

It looks like Iwata has a lot of fans.

Since I posted this I saw a post about a H&S 2 in 1..........Aaaaaarrrgghhhhh!!!

I've got a couple of weeks away to make a decision, I'll let you know which way I go.

Cheers

BB

I plan to take the plunge, and rather than buy a cheap airbrush and upgrade later on I am thinking of getting a good one straight off.

I will be using it for modelling obviously, but also I do a bit of painting pictures.

I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction of the for and against of the different versions.

Many thanks

BB

I have used an ancient Devilbiss Sprite Major for over 35 years (and still do!) and last year treated myself to the HP-CH and I can, along with all the others on here, confirm that it is an excellent product, certainly easier to use than my old one and possibly a bit easier to clean but perhaps I am imagining the last bit!.

CH is a good all rounder, I should have one on my stand at Cosford this weekend if you want to have a look at one.

Paul

little-cars

I would Paul, but the Algarve is calling me this weekend.

How much for a CH as a matter of interest?

BB

Many thanks

BB

I have the hp-bp and I'm really happy with it.

It has a fine nozzle (0,20) that allows to paint fine details and large areas as well.

The only drawback is the little cup that forces to reload frequently.

You don't need to spend all that money try the Badger 200 I have been using them for the last 40 years and they are no trouble and no nonsense brushes get the medium set for all modelling and if you want to do fine artwork use the fine set.

Ted

I used a Badger 200 for years, my only gripe was that the siphon models wasted a lot of paint and you had jars to cleans and keep enought to hand, which is why I now favour gravity fed airbrushed - less waste, easier to clean, less hassle full stop.

You can a gravity fed 200 but it's about the same price as an entry level Iwata, and of the two I'd prefer an Iwata because quality is so much better than Badger.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm new to Britmodeller and came to it through this thread.

Although I'm not having any difficulties deciding which Iwata to get (HP-CH), I do have a dilemma about where to buy from. Looking on eBay, there is what looks to be a legit outlet, albeit from Macau (Lewis Online Shop) that appears to be selling Iwatas at similar prices to the second-hand ones out there. Has anyone had any dealings with them and if so, are these genuine Iwatas and am I likely to get stung for import duty? I know I'll lose out on the 10 year warranty by not purchasing from the UK, but I wouldn't get the warranty buying second-hand anyway. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Cheers

Roger

I used a Badger 200 for years, my only gripe was that the siphon models wasted a lot of paint and you had jars to cleans and keep enought to hand, which is why I now favour gravity fed airbrushed - less waste, easier to clean, less hassle full stop.

You can a gravity fed 200 but it's about the same price as an entry level Iwata, and of the two I'd prefer an Iwata because quality is so much better than Badger.

My first airbrush was a badger...100 sommat. had a side cup. Used it a lot and it worked ok. Bugger to clean compared to the Iwata. Whatever airbrush you get, don't stint on the cleaning! I strip my Iwata after every session. If you don't keep 'em really clean they soon clog up and you'll be cursing. Oh, and get the best compressor you can afford!

Good luck,

F

My first airbrush was a badger...100 sommat. had a side cup. Used it a lot and it worked ok. Bugger to clean compared to the Iwata. Whatever airbrush you get, don't stint on the cleaning! I strip my Iwata after every session. If you don't keep 'em really clean they soon clog up and you'll be cursing. Oh, and get the best compressor you can afford!

Good luck,

F

I've yet to do a strip down on any of my Iwata's. Just clean the colour up out, flush through with cleaner, wipe the needle and leave it on the stand with some cleaner in the cup. I only use acrylics these days, and mostly Vallejo so maybe that's the reason.

I've yet to do a strip down on any of my Iwata's. Just clean the colour up out, flush through with cleaner, wipe the needle and leave it on the stand with some cleaner in the cup. I only use acrylics these days, and mostly Vallejo so maybe that's the reason.

I got a neat little set of brushes from the airbrush co. and I'm always surprised at how mch paint has built up on the inside of the passage from cup to tip after a few sessions and that's acrylics too. It's something to do every once in a while or if things seem to be getting a bit 'sticky'.

Although I'm not having any difficulties deciding which Iwata to get (HP-CH), I do have a dilemma about where to buy from. Looking on eBay, there is what looks to be a legit outlet, albeit from Macau (Lewis Online Shop) that appears to be selling Iwatas at similar prices to the second-hand ones out there. Has anyone had any dealings with them and if so, are these genuine Iwatas and am I likely to get stung for import duty? I know I'll lose out on the 10 year warranty by not purchasing from the UK, but I wouldn't get the warranty buying second-hand anyway. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Cheers

Roger

When you buy from abroad you have to assume that you will be paying VAT, import duty and handling fee.

Also, check that the package is insured for the replacement value. If it's not then getting a replacement if it is lost or damaged could be a problem.

If it's the place I can see on ebay then you have to assume you will pay 20%VAT about £30, up to 5% duty, £7.50 and £8 or £13.50 handling fee depending how it's sent.

This takes it up to nearly the same as the UK dealer 'street price' for the brush.

Buying from a UK dealer does mean that the brush can be registered at the UK importer for it's 10 year warranty and you also have the support of the dealer if you get any problems.

Buying sold as seen second hand does mean no warranty. Also, be aware that needles are about £10 and paint nozzles are now over £30 for this brush, so you could be hit with a bill for replacing these if they are defective.

When you buy from abroad you have to assume that you will be paying VAT, import duty and handling fee.

Also, check that the package is insured for the replacement value. If it's not then getting a replacement if it is lost or damaged could be a problem.

If it's the place I can see on ebay then you have to assume you will pay 20%VAT about £30, up to 5% duty, £7.50 and £8 or £13.50 handling fee depending how it's sent.

This takes it up to nearly the same as the UK dealer 'street price' for the brush.

Buying from a UK dealer does mean that the brush can be registered at the UK importer for it's 10 year warranty and you also have the support of the dealer if you get any problems.

Buying sold as seen second hand does mean no warranty. Also, be aware that needles are about £10 and paint nozzles are now over £30 for this brush, so you could be hit with a bill for replacing these if they are defective.

Thanks for the comprehensive and helpful response... very much appreciated. I guess if the deal looks too good to be true and all that ;)

I may take another look at Graphicair.co.uk after all.

Regards

Roger

Cheers

Roger

The counterfeit Iwata 'brushes are a fact of life. I bought my (proper) Iwata HP-CH from 'The Airbrush Company', mainly because I live close and it was convenient. I found them extremely helpful but there are other good dealers about, notably Paul at Littlecars. Apparently, the counterfeit ones abound on certain internet auction sites so beware. If it looks too cheap to be true then it probably isn't!

Good Luck