1/32 Revell Indian Af Hunter Mk 56a

AndyC

I have decided to do a second entry in this build. I'm going for the 1/32 Revell Hunter F.6 but using Aeromaster's sheet for foreign Hunters Pt IV and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a Mk 56A for the Indian Air Force flying with the Hunter OCU

The box shot

001.jpg

The sprue shots

002.jpg

003.jpg

And those Aeromaster decals

004.jpg

Until later...

Edited by AndyC

A quick update

Sprayed the cockpit/wells/wheels etc NATO Black while on the sprue tonight

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

Made a start on the cockpit too. It looks very good, the weak point being the seatbelts which I may try and improved with Tamiya tape ones. NATO Black with a dry-brush of Neutral Grey. Semi-Gloss Black on the isntrument faces and then a light dry-brush with Aluminium. Still to do the coloured switches yet but white on the dials been picked out and all the switches.

009.jpg

010.jpg

Thanks for looking

Excellent work Andy, that cockpit looks fab. Can't wait to see this one finished!

Mark

Thanks Mark - needs some new belts on the seat I think though - these are a bit anaemic

Just a quick update - got the cockpit finished and glued inside the nose. A little fiddly but looks OK

001-1.jpg

002-2.jpg

Stuck about 30g of fishing weights in and will need more before I button the whole thing up.

I also replaced the moulded on seat belts with Tamiya tape ones which will be painted

003-2.jpg

Thanks for looking - I will be concentrating on my big 'Cat for the next week or so

Good job Andy, Would love one of these one day.

Cheers! It's a fine kit Radleigh - I picked this up for £20 under the table at Cosford last year and got the decals off a BM'er

A quick update!

I've been working on the intake trunking - quite tricky to set up correctly because the instructions are a little vague. It's a better engineered way of doing it than the Academy one I've just done in the Hunter GB. I had previously primed and sprayed Alclad on the bits

009-1.jpg

The finished item is glued into the cockpit/nose piece and than the rear fuselage sort of shrouds it. The other big bits have been glued - I only took a pic of the rear fuselage. I have yet to do the jet nozzle and rear piece.

010-1.jpg

I finally laid out everything loosely to gauge the size and it's quite big!

011.jpg

A bit of a sanding session and doing boring stuff like weapons and D/T's coming up. Also a balance test for the weight once I have glued it all up - the nose cone has been left off for that purpose

Thanks for looking

I am still waiting for my stuff for the Tomcat, so I have pressed on with this instead. I managed to get a lot of sanding done and stuff glued together. The fit is very good actually and any filler is probably my fault in taking too little care in fitting - except for around the separate tail cone which was genuinely poor.

004-1.jpg

Balance check for nose weight complete and the cone went on

005.jpg

I primed the u/c and wheel wells and sprayed them Alclad Aluminium. You can see where I had 'issues' with the fit!

006.jpg

Got the windscreen and canopy undercoated and the former fitted. I masked off the cockpit, tailpipe and inside the intakes. All the fiddly bits (small intakes, Sabrinas, jet fuel dump and small aerials) were attached and a final check done before priming with Halfords

008.jpg

Priming complete - here she is with the three main paint colours - Indian Hunters wore the same DG/DSG/MSG as their RAF counterparts - all in Xtracrylix.

011-1.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by AndyC

Nice work Andy, you've reminded me I really must resurect my Lysander....

Phil

Cheers Phil - you should - I could get used to modelling in this scale (except for the room they take up when finished).

I got the Dark Sea Grey on last night and aim to try and get the Dark Green on tonight. Hard-edged camo from looking at photographs I think. Medium Sea Grey undersides later this week.

Well, I'm cracking on with this one having done my Hunter GB entry...

Got the Dark Sea Grey sprayed in rough patterns on Monday night and gave it a second lightened coat last night early evening. I decided to do a hard edge to the camouflage as the photographs of Hunters in their original 'garb' as delivered and up to the early 70's were in the DSG/DG/MSG scheme.

So, lots of post-its and Tamiya tape later I sprayed the DG...

001-2.jpg

I then went over it again with lightened DG (with a touch of white). I left it for an hour and then peeled off the masking to leave this...

002-3.jpg

Pleased with that! Only couple of very small 'runs' that I have dealt with using a cocktail stick and will get lost under the weathering anyway. More masking tomorrow for the underside MSG.

Thanks for looking

A very brief update - sprayed the MSG underside last night and took off the masking and it's OK!

001-3.jpg

Klear on tonight and maybe some weathering in the next couple of days

Thanks for looking

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Just a quick update as I try and sprint to the finish - got her decalled and almost finished the stencils - (there are a LOT). I think she looks good in the Indian AF colours

002-4.jpg

Hope fully she will be done and posted as complete by the end of the week. She needs some weathering and final coat applying before wheels and dangly bits

Thanks for looking

Hi all

Started weathering her tonight...she is going to represent a Hunter of the Hunter OCU which was involved in the Battle of Longewala (4-5 December 1971) in the Indo-Pakistan War. The OCU Hunters were instrumental in repulsing a major Pakistani armoured thrust and a comprehensive victory was achieved. They were worked hard armed with Matra/SNEB rockets on the outer pylons against Pakistani tanks pretty much in the open and without AAA fire support...

I have used pastels and Tamiya Smoke to try and show a battle weary machine immediately in the aftermath - I'm not going to weather her any more than this - I don't think she would have been 'dirty'. I need to clear coat her shortly - she should probably be Gloss or Satin - I will see. Undercarriage next...

004-2.jpg

006-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

Thanks for looking and all comments welcome

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...