F-5 Lightning

Mikkel

Recon Lightnings were basically two types: those based on early P-38E/F/G/H airframes and those based on P-38J/L airframes. Within each version, the camera fit and number/type of camera windows was different from one subtype to the next. Recon versions were as follows:

F4    based on P-38E

F4A  based on P-38F

F5A  based on P-38G

F5B  based on P-38J

F5C  based on P-38

F5E  based on P-38J/L

F5F  based on P-38L

The Revell kit can be made as an F4, F4A, or F5A, and depending upon the type and number of camera windows fitted, is a very easy conversion. I did an F5B many years back using a Frog P-38J, and it was a very easy conversion: filled the gunports, filed a flat and a step in the lower nose, and cut two large trapezoidal oblique camera windows and two vertical camera windows on the bottom; also added a short antenna mast to the upper nose and painted in PRU blue overall with invasion stripes. IIRC it had '132' in yellow on either side of the engine cowlings and smooth covers over the mainwheels. The only difficult conversions would be those variants that had the oblique cameras fitted in bulged windows, but could be done as vacform transparencies. I have attached a link to photos that show the various versions and camera fits.

Off-topic, but just wanted all to know that I have been offline for two weeks due to my ip address being blocked by one of the groups infecting BM, but finally figured out what the problem was, and with the help of two  fellow BM'ers and admin. Mike, I am back in business! Was going crazy not being able to see what all of you were up to. For better or worse, I am back! (Just when you thought you were rid of me, too!)

Mike

https://www.google.com/search?q=recon+P-38+Lightnings&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjYkoX5y9PaAhUFiqwKHQvIBK4Q_AUICygC&biw=1280&bih=654#imgrc=0_H4-QCdeVpTzM:&spf=1524596387736

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1