Wellington mk II Z8370 PH-Y

Turrets are done.

DSC_5750.jpg

DSC_5753.jpg

DSC_6180.jpg

... and they're assembled like all the other parts in the fuselage.

DSC_6209.jpg

DSC_6197.jpg

DSC_6228.jpg

DSC_6202.jpg

DSC_6223.jpg

DSC_6226.jpg

the halves are glued together

DSC_6238.jpg

... and now we wait :)

By the way, this photo was also among the photos I got from the museum. I lost the description (or maybe I never had it) so I don't know who is who. However, there are 6 men in this photo, posing in front of a Wellington (not Z8370), so that would suggest that these 6 could be a crew together. So perhaps the second pilot was a regular member of the crew? In any case, this was my reasoning for adding the dual controls.

DSC_6236.jpg

Fantastic story Elger and just latched on to this one.

You seem to be getting there and great bit of work to fit all together.

I take me beret off to you, well done. :clap2:

Edited by foxy

thank you all for the comments!

I have a busy period at work coming up so I won't be able to do any significant work for a couple of weeks. It will allow the cement to settle well in the mean time though :)

The fuselage has now been glued together. My plan is to insert the Eduard bomb bay frames later on. This because they will be rather fragile and want to see if I can add them later in order to avoid damaging them during the assembly/painting stages. The thing is that I'm not yet sure if it'll work. I'm planning to remove some material from the fuselage to allow them to fit in the bomb bay slots, but my concern is that the bomb bay is not 100% flat (there are some fit issues with the kit).

Another thing is that the Eduard bomb bay set is rather intimidating looking, and the two online builds of 1/48 Wellingtons I found didn't seem to complete them. Oh well, time will tell :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just joined the thread. The history of this plane makes it all the more fascinating and you are obviously doing a fabulous job on a very detailed kit. Am watching with great interest and enjoyment.

James

working on the bomb bay frames. No pictures yet, but some comments that are hopefully helpful to others who are planning to use the Eduard bits.

First of all, I think this is an exquisite detail set. Although I'm fairly happy with how they're turning out, I don't think I'm doing them full justice. Having said that, there are some things that make them even more difficult than they already are.

Screenshot2012-04-30at45927PM.jpg

The main frames have (seemingly) hundreds of little triangular bits hanging off them. Once the whole thing is installed, they are to be folded over. Of course, in the process most of them will snap off. I thought about gluing them in place before starting construction, but then I think it will be very difficult to install the vertical diagonal parts that go in between later on - they might get in the way.

Screenshot2012-04-30at50020PM.jpg

It's important to make sure that part 12 (the long strip that fits through the center) fits. Make sure that parts 39 are not too far up in their slots. There's slightly too much space. It's better to have parts 39 match the base line of the whole thing. But be careful, because then it might be too low for part 12 to fit in its horizontal slot.

Screenshot2012-04-30at50100PM.jpg

Finally, as the caption says, parts 29 and 25 in this part of the instructions gave me trouble because the horizontal part needs to be bent, but it's quite difficult to bend. This makes it difficult to ensure that the vertical parts are actually straight.

Oh well, plodding along...

• 2 weeks later...

The Eduard bomb bay set is a kit unto itself; it took me several days spread over several weeks to complete. It was a daunting task and it really pushed my skills. A true PE expert would have done it more justice, but to me it looks acceptable. Not all the parts are 100% straight (I would actually say that few are, in fact) but now that it's all assembled and painted and coated with future it looks okay.

Generally, my assembly method was to use super glue for the structural parts, but white glue for parts that needed to be coerced into position. After having assembled major elements, I would dip the whole thing in a bath of future, with the aim to have that seal all the parts. Mostly this was a success, but as indicated in the above post all the little triangular bits fell off and I don't know whether they should have been bent into place before hand or not. (I doubt that I'll be constructing another one of these anyway :) ) I had saved many, but in the end I was short at least 25. Eduard does provide some spare pieces on the fret, actually.

I do think that some parts of the set could have been designed better by Eduard, see my post above. Having said that, it's great that it exists. On to the pictures!

DSC_1359.jpg

DSC_1360.jpg

DSC_1371.jpg

DSC_1375.jpg

DSC_1363.jpg

DSC_1357.jpg

DSC_1365.jpg

thanks for looking!

Edited by elger

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I could use some input: I'm wondering whether or not the spinners of this aircraft are 2 different colours: in the two photos (reposted below) it looks as if the front end might be lighter. Thoughts?

01.jpg

02.jpg

Hello all,

I could use some input: I'm wondering whether or not the spinners of this aircraft are 2 different colours: in the two photos (reposted below) it looks as if the front end might be lighter. Thoughts?

I'm no expert but weren't the spinners and props coated with a de-icing paste which would account for the varying colour.

I finished the bombs yesterday. The 250lb and 500lb bombs are from the kit with Eduard bits added (tail and nose). The SBCs are from Belcher. I only added some wires to them. Two of the six are dark green. Usually SBCs were neutral metal but some were painted. Since I wanted some variety and wanted to try out the hairspray weathering method I decided to paint them.

DSC_2938.jpg

Fitted to the frames

DSC_2942.jpg

And the whole contraption fitted to the bomb bay.

DSC_2946.jpg

Thanks for looking, and if anyone else has any thoughts on the colour of the spinners, let me know! (thanks, Neal, so far!)

- Elger

Hey Elger,

Looks great!

I noticed the 500lbers don't overlap as per the loading diagram. I just measured the kit 500lbers, seems they are a little short for the No.2 tail.

Regarding the spinners, most photos appear to show black spinners, but I guess it's not impossible to have anti icing on it.

Here is photo of a MkII with what appears to be anti icing on the wing leading edge, but not the spinner.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205129677

and I know this is a Halifax, but thought I'd add it.. (but if that is anti icing, it's not on the leading edges?)

spinners.png

I really like how you've put in the the real bomb load.

regards,

Greg