Star Trek U.S.S. Enterprise

Smiffy

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701

1:600 Scale Revell

Box%20Art.jpg

Gene Rodenberry, a WWII B-17 pilot and former LAPD Police Officer, began developing his “Wagon Train to the stars” television series in 1964. He enlisted the services of mechanical and aviation artist Matt Jeffries to design the Starship Yorktown (later changed to Enterprise), which was to transport the shows heroes throughout the Galaxy. Rodenberry simply gave Jeffries the brief that he didn’t want to see any Buck Rogers style fins or rocket motors. The ship had to be big enough to hold a crew of several hundred on a five year mission and was capable of travelling at light speed, using ‘Warp Drive’.

Jeffries made hundreds of sketches (along with Production Designer, Pato Guzman) and the design slowly evolved over the next few months. The crafts shape was largely dictated by Jeffries reasoning that engines powerful enough to ‘warp’ space, could potentially be very dangerous. Therefore they were situated as far away from the main hull as possible. The ship was to have a smooth , almost featureless hull, with no exposed mechanical parts that could easily be damaged in outer space.

A small 3 foot model was made for approval first, before work commenced on an 11 foot filming miniature. This model now hangs in the Smithsonian Institution’s National Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C. I think it’s fair to say that there’s no way Matt Jeffries could have known that his Starship design would become one of the most recognisable and iconic shapes in science fiction and television history.

The kit

Revell’s new Enterprise is their first foray back into the Star Trek universe since they released a series of models from ST: Voyager, in the 90s. It comes in their familiar end opening box, which features an illustration of the ship firing her forward phasers. The kit is made up from 117 parts, moulded on six light grey sprues , plus one in clear. The finished model measures just over 48 cms in length.

Saucer%20Top%20Part%2015.jpg

The kit features recessed panel lines, which at first glance appear a little heavy, especially the grid pattern moulded on to the upper and lower halves of the saucer. I think a couple of coats of primer, followed by some light sanding should improve the look, though. The next thing to note is that all the windows and nav lights have been moulded open. This makes lighting the kit a much easier proposition and it really looks as if Revell have designed the kit with lighting in mind.

Saucer%20Top%20Part%2015%203qtr.jpg

Saucer%20Bottom%20Part%201.jpg

The saucer section is made up from two halves, which have clear inserts for the windows, lights and bridge dome. The bridge itself, is a separately moulded piece, which is a nice touch. The impulse engine is also a separate piece, which is added to the rear of the saucer.

Sprue%20E%20Bridge.jpg

The secondary hull and neck assembly have more clear window inserts to be added and there is plenty of room inside to add electronics, if so required. There are a couple of internal bulkheads which fit inside this section, but they are moulded as a solid outer frame with open centres, so wiring or fibre optics can easily be routed through here, without need for modification. The nav deflector assembly is made up from five parts and attached to the forward end. The dish itself has some very finely moulded concentric lines. One thing I did note in the instructions is that Revell suggest adding 90g of weight, behind the rear shuttle bay doors. I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen a kit that needed a tail weight.

Sprue%20C.jpg

Sprue%20B.jpg

The engine pylons are potentially a weak point in any kit of the Enterprise, but here they are moulded with a sturdy one piece pylon, to which you add the inner, detailed faces. This not only makes it a strong assembly, but also ensures that the engines are correctly aligned. The engines themselves are built up from two halves each. There is some nicely restrained detail moulded on the exterior, a kind of perforated grill effect, which would benefit from a subtle paint wash to really make the detail pop. Clear parts are supplied for the domes at the forward end of the nacelles. One inner and one outer piece per side. At the rear, the end caps feature some very fine detail around the exterior edge. Care will be needed here, so that this detail isn’t obliterated when cleaning up and attaching to the engine assemblies. Several more accent pieces are added to the exterior of the nacelles and serve to busy the area up a bit. I’m sure there are technical names for these pieces, I just don’t know what they are.

Sprue%20B%20Close%20Up.jpg

A large five piece stand is included, which has the Federation logo moulded in relief.

Sprue%20D.jpg

Sprue%20E.jpg

Sprue%20A%20Clear.jpg

The decal sheet is quite large and features markings for three Constitution class ships. The Enterprise, the Constellation and the Potemkin. Aside from all the hull markings, there are also three name plaques included, which is a thoughtful addition. The decals appear very thin, in good register and with minimal carrier film. It does say printed in Italy for Revell on the sheet, so if I had to guess, I’d say it’s been printed by Cartograph. Their name doesn’t seem to appear anywhere, though.

Decal%20Sheet.jpg

Conclusion

I know there have been some question marks regarding the accuracy of a couple of areas on this kit and there are many modellers out there who know every line and curve of this ship. I can’t say that I’m one of them, however. As you might guess, I’m much more at home with subjects like the Millenium Falcon or an X-Wing fighter. As I understand it, the main issue seems to be with the underside of the saucer. From the outer edge, it should have more of a subtle curve inwards. Honestly, it’s not an issue that would stop me building this kit. I think the positives far outweigh any negative issues.

It’s great to see a mainstream manufacturer embark on a series of brand spanking new tool sci-fi kits and as this is a European exclusive release, it’s also very welcome that these kits won’t cost us an arm and a leg, either. It really seems like Revell have put a lot of thought into this kit. Whether you decide to build it from the box or go the whole hog and light it up, I think you’ll end up with a great looking model of a classic SF starship.

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers. For further information visit

logo-revell-2009.gif

• Like 1

Great reveiw of a fabalous kit, for the easy lighting options alone.

The problem for me as a trek modeler is the scale, as as a stand alone model of the classic TOS ship, Revell have done a great job and very hard to match in any scale.

I will build mine to improve my lighting skills and then send her out of dry dock as a gift to a friend.

Unless I fall in love with the finished ship of course?

1/600 Galaxy Class please Revell?

Great reveiw of a fabalous kit, for the easy lighting options alone.

Thanks. It's the first review I've ever done. :)

1/600 Galaxy Class please Revell?

Blimey, wouldn't that be fairly large?. :o

Thanks. It's the first review I've ever done. :)

Blimey, wouldn't that be fairly large?. :o

Hey Smiffy,

First ever reveiw! Blimey! I have read and seen far worse published and on Youtube?

Great pics, very honest and accurate comments, good work my friend, are you lighting yours up bt the way?

I think your right, Mr Merlot may have been talking for me there, a Galaxy Class would indeed be very,very large, wonderful and bloody expensive ?

Cheers

Thanks for the review.

The kit features recessed panel lines, which at first glance appear a little heavy

... and second, and third glances. Considering that the saucer grid lines on the original are (depending on your opinion of the evidence) either extremely faint and subtle, or not there at all, and definitely not present at all on any other part of the ship, Revell's decision to put these in with a trowel is ... puzzling. Lots and lots of filling and sanding required (not that this makes this kit unique amongst Star Trek kits!).

The saucer section is made up from two halves

As you note, the bevel on the underneath of the saucer is excessively sharp; a far smoother curve is required. More sanding!

A large five piece stand is included, which has the Federation logo moulded in relief.

... and in reverse. Astonishingly lazy research on Revell's part.

It really seems like Revell have put a lot of thought into this kit.

In terms of the engineering of the kit, quite possibly (and of course that's a very good thing). In terms of the research, they appear to have done surprisingly little, as though they felt any old tat would do. (The Halifax all over again?)

The Klingon D-7 kit released at the same time as this one appears to be a much better effort, however.

Edited by BWP

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see another Star Trek kit again. Just a shame about the problems. However, having built several AMT Enterprise A's they are nothing major in comparison!

I just think, without resorting to references, that there appear far too many windows on the engineering hull.....am I wrong?