Avro Ansons at RAF Andover

Harry Lime

Afternoon All,

I'm appealing to the masses on here for a little help. I've recently managed to aquire an Aeroclub Anson C.19 in order to complete an example of one that was based at RAF Andover with either the Western Communications Squadron or 21 Squadron. A search of Air-Britain turns up 4 pics of Ansons assigned to WCS, including TX213 photographed at both RAF Abingdon and RAF Odiham (which are very near to Andover). However, I would like some confirmation that TX213 was indeed based at Andover before I commit to building her. If anyone can provide firm details of any of the Anson C.19s based at Andover, it would be very much appreciated, pics would be even better!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help,

Mark.

History of TX213 from the Air Britain Anson File.

RCCF (RCA-P) Reserve Command Communications Flight

61 Sqn. Group Communications Flight (RCE-Z)

CSE Central Signals Establishment

527 Sqn.

2 Sqn. Group Communications Flight

2nd Tactical Air Force Communications Squadron

18 Sqn. Group Communications Flight (X)

OCTU Jurby

Western Communication Squadron WCS

Sold 6/9/1968 became G-AWRS

Thanks Richard, that's making TX213 the front runner so far.

Mark.

Just Googled TX213 and the dear old girl is apparently under restoration at the NEAM at Sunderland.

Just Googled TX213 and the dear old girl is apparently under restoration at the NEAM at Sunderland.

She is indeed. There is also another potential ex-Andover based Anson on the preservation trail too, TX214. These two would appear to have fared slighty better than the airframe that was supposedly in the playground of my old primary school, Portway school, in Andover. According to legend it was there up until just before we moved to Andover and I was enrolled at the school. Maybe someone can shed some light on the fate of this airframe.....

On another note, has anyone got any more info on the Ansons of the Western Communications Squadron? I'd really like to know as much as possible about them before I build an example of one of their Ansons.

Mark.

She is indeed. There is also another potential ex-Andover based Anson on the preservation trail too, TX214. These two would appear to have fared slighty better than the airframe that was supposedly in the playground of my old primary school, Portway school, in Andover. According to legend it was there up until just before we moved to Andover and I was enrolled at the school. Maybe someone can shed some light on the fate of this airframe.....

On another note, has anyone got any more info on the Ansons of the Western Communications Squadron? I'd really like to know as much as possible about them before I build an example of one of their Ansons.

Mark.

TX214 appears on a RAFDecal sheet in the markings of the Metropolitan Communications Sqn - don't know if it's still available.

Wez

TX214 appears on a RAFDecal sheet in the markings of the Metropolitan Communications Sqn - don't know if it's still available.

Wez

Thanks Wez, I'll have a look for that.

Mark.