Scratchbuilt Sopwith Dolphin in 1/72nd scale

• 4 months later...

Hi Quentin,

This post has only just been brought to my attention, fantastic work and one you should be proud of.

Regarding rigging, everyone has their own favourite method, mine is drilling and threading with monofilament (2lb test, although I do have some 1lb test which is probably more to scale) - and I only work in 1:72. You can see how it looks on my Bleriot thread;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234917635-scratchbuilt-172-bleriot-xi-2/?hl=%2B1%3A72+%2Bbleriot

If it isn't quite taught enough after fitting it can be tightened easily by holding a heated knife blade close to it - but don't touch it or it will behave like your stretched sprue did!

Ian

Thanks for the latest comments and advice. Love the Bleriot. I'll definitely think about monofilament for my next project, whenever that will be, because cutting tiny pieces of stretched sprue to length and then tautening them up without melting them into little spools of plastic is a nightmare, as I may have mentioned.

I've just logged in for the first time in months, so quite lucky to be able to reply in a reasonable time. Must be a special dolphin sense.

While I'm here, though...

Just got round to ordering a display case (http://www.acrylicdisplaycases.co.uk/) and here it is.

display%2520case.jpg

My plan now is to make a scenic base and then it's just about finished and ready for RFI. (I remember saying I was going to do a figure representing Lt Worthington, but hopefully nobody will remember about that).

Edited by Quentin
  • Like 1

Quentin, I have just picked up this build thread and have spent a very pleasant hour reading through it. It is an inspirational build and is an outstanding demonstration of your patience and scratch building abilities. What a beautiful model, well done.