Scratchbuilt Sopwith Dolphin in 1/72nd scale

Hello everyone,

I've just joined the forum. I've spent the last couple of years scratch-building a Sopwith Dolphin in 1/72nd scale. I was hoping to get it finished around the same time as the one they've been rebuilding at RAF Cosford, but I've fallen way behind.

I started by making the framework as a free-standing structure. The rearmost bits won't be seen but they help add rigidity to the structure. The fuselage skin in the background is 0.3mm card.

DSCF2625.JPG

And here's what it looks like at the moment:

DSCF3467.JPG

I hope these images are visible, by the way. The "https" prefix worries me, but the Picasa settings say that the links should work.

I've just added some home-made decals, largely cut out of Microscale film, on top of a coat of Gloss Cote. And this is where the quality control is beginning to get a bit shaky. I've managed to end up with little flecks of white decal stuck to the surface. You might just be able to see what I mean in this pic, towards the rear of the fuselage (the stuff on the wings is just dust - I've been working on it for quite a while now).

DSCF3468.JPG

Anyone know of a good way of cleaning up this sort of thing? I've tried working away with a brush and some Microsol, but no luck. I know I could sand down that side of the fuselage and start again, but I'm not very keen on the idea. I might just have to paint over with tiny spots of PC10 before the final coat of Satin Cote.

Edited by Quentin
  • Like 1

Hi Quentin,

A very nice model you have there, even though not yet finished.

My compliments!

I'm familair with this decal flake problem too. What I do to much avail is just carefully scrape it off with a rounded scalpel blade. (just a blade between your fingers, no cutting, only sliding with soft strokes) They will pop off.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ron

Going back... back... back...

This is how it all started. I used the scale plans from Windsock No. 54, traced round them in TurboCAD and added extended guidelines. Then I stuck in a few pins and got to work with 0.5mmx0.5mm Evergreen strip.

DSCF1515.JPG

That bit was actually surprisingly easy and resulted in two identical side frameworks, which was a good start. But then I had to add the cross-members. That was rather fiddly, but eventually I ended up with something like this.

DSCF1531.JPG

The next job was to make the fuselage skin, for which I was planning to use a mixture of flat card and vac-formed bits. I'll add some more photos of this stage later, at the risk of being boring.

Edited by Quentin

Boring!!! Not on your life! PLEASE keep adding!

I have been thinking of doing something similar in 1/48

Settling down to :popcorn: watch.

Christian the Married

Stupendous work so far :) I have found that a little Tamiya masking tape is good for removing decals, provided that you haven't applied gloss varnish over the decals first. Just apply the masking tape to the affected area and then peel it away. The masking tape should be tacky enough to lift the decal away from the model.

Thanks Ron, that worked a treat. It's left a bit of scuffing but I've given it a bit of a polish with toothpaste and I'm confident that the final coat of Satin Cote will cover up the variation in finish. It just shows that when you make a mistake like that, it's best to leave it a day or two till you can think of a way of fixing it, rather than doing something drastic in the heat of the moment.

Stupendous work so far :) I have found that a little Tamiya masking tape is good for removing decals, provided that you haven't applied gloss varnish over the decals first. Just apply the masking tape to the affected area and then peel it away. The masking tape should be tacky enough to lift the decal away from the model.

Thanks very much. I don't know if it's these particular decals or the way I've applied them (I've been using Microscale white film on top of Gloss Cote, with lots of Microsol), but they set like concrete. Still, I've managed to scrape off the worst with a curved knife blade (h/t Kwakou61).

I've just added the serial numbers. It's like a sort of christening.

DSCF3471.JPG

Yes it's C4056, as flown by Lt C E Worthington in April 1918 according to my source (Osprey Aircraft of the Aces 48).

The interesting thing about this choice, for my project, is that C4056 belonged to 87 Squadron, which was responsible for an innovation in gun placement. Dolphins were designed to have two Lewis guns mounted on the centre section above the cockpit, but 87 Squadron tried mounting them on the lower wings, outboard of the propeller arc. Ahead of their time or what? Anyway, that's the placement I'll be depicting. I'm assuming that C4056 had the experimental configuration, but if I'm wrong about that, now's the time to put me right.

This photo shows up quite a lot of dust and watermarks, by the way. I'll have to clean it up a bit before doing the Satin Cote.

Next: the roundels on the lower wings.

Edited by Quentin

First off, a big welcome to Britmodeller!

Secondly that is awesome building going on there!

I love the way you have done the fuselage framing. That's the first time I've ever seen radio control aircraft balsa wood framing techniques used for static modelling.

Trevor

More details about the construction process:

I had decided right from the start that the construction would take the form of a thin skin over a semi-rigid framework. The framework was fairly straightforward, if rather fiddly, and the fuselage sides were quite easy to cut out of plastic card; but there was no escaping the fact that certain bits would have to be vac-formed. The difficulty then was to make sure that the vac-formed bits matched up exactly with the other bits.

I started with the flat bits. Using the plans from Windsock 54, I drew up a cutting guide in TurboCAD, printed it out and taped it to a piece of 0.3mm plastic card, then cut through both thicknesses with a sharp knife. This is not too bad if you keep a steady hand, and you end up with something like this:

DSCF1534.JPG

After building up these pieces, I could check them for size against the framework:

DSCF1536.JPG

Next, the vac-formed bits. I knocked up a simple vac-forming box without too much trouble, but the difficulty was to make the pieces match up properly. The way I tackled this was to cut the wooden mould roughly to size and then sand it down until it just fit into the fuselage skin, like this:

DSCF2587.JPG

Once it was the right size, I could carve it to shape and do the vac-forming, ending up with this result:

DSCF2596.JPG

Then I just had to cut out the pieces, in this fashion:

DSCF2599.JPG

The next job was to put all the pieces together and add a bit of detail...