Me 109 Single Type Group Build

You know when you go into a restaurant and look at the menu? And the menu is so full of good thinks that you simply can't choose?

Well, I'm getting that same feeling from this STGB. :D

Hopefully a certain something will happen... but even if it doesn't, I'm in with certainly two. I just have to decide what... In the stash I have an Eduard E-1, a Zvezda F-1, three Hasegawa G-6, a Hasegawa G-10, a Hasegawa G-14, a Hasegawa K-4 and a Revell G-10. All in 1/48.

The Revell G-10 has been in my stash since it was first released in the late 70s. I'm starting to think that its time may have come!

I'm also looking forward to this.

I have had the Trumpeter 1/24 G-6 in the stash for ages so this will be a perfect excuse to get it out and built.

Plan is to super-detail the engine/fuselage gun area and it will be done in the kit markings of Anton 'Toni' Hackl with the white tail.

Main reference is the excellent HT Model book on the G-6.

Steve

Edit:- Here is the kit - http://kits.kitreview.com/bf109g624reviewbg_1.htm

Edited by jacksdad64

I've made my mind up. I will build two:

A G-10 from the 1/48 Revell kit. I will chuck a bit of resin at it in an attempt to get it to the standard of internal detail of modern kits - there is absolutely nothing wrong with the shape or surface detail of this kit. I will be using a marking scheme provided on an Eagle Strike decal sheet but with my own interpetation. The sheet instructions claim the aircraft is in a very standard 74/75/76. However, the fin is completely overpainted in the lighter suppersurface colour. I've only seen this with aircraft painted in late-war colours. I have seen a color photo of the aircraft and it looks to me that the uppersurface is 75/83, so that's how I'm going to do it. The photo also shows a beige colour for the fuselage undersurfaces. This may be the mythical RLM 84. As far as I am aware, "RLM 84" was actually RLM 76 made with substandard materials which produced odd colours. The paint batches used by Focke-Wulf tended to have a blue-green appearance, similar to RAF Sky. Batches used by Messerschmitt sometimes had a pale tan or beige appearance.

So, the colour scheme will be 75/83 uppersurfaces, beige "RLM 84" fuselage undersurfaces, natural metal wing undersurfaces and RLM 76 tail undersurfaces.

I will also build an E-7 from the 1/48 Eduard kit, which should have been released by then. This will be an aircraft based at Kirkenes in Norway during 1942 and is, I believe, in the 74/75/76 scheme, a bit of a rarity for Emils.

Just bear in mind that the fuselage band is white, not yellow.

JG11 only breifly, mid 1943 until around Autumn the same year, used a white band and that was only a narrow one. The G-6 in the photograph and depicted in the profile is sporting JG11's yellow band.

JG11 only breifly, mid 1943 until around Autumn the same year, used a white band and that was only a narrow one. The G-6 in the photograph and depicted in the profile is sporting JG11's yellow band.

Thanks for the clarification. I have built this aircraft but all my research showed it had a white band. It did. But as you say it was a narrow one which is what my model has. I'm just glad it's correct. :D

So I assume that the narrow white band was a theatre marking while the wide yellow band was an RV unit marking?

Thanks for the clarification. I have built this aircraft but all my research showed it had a white band. It did. But as you say it was a narrow one which is what my model has. I'm just glad it's correct. :D

So I assume that the narrow white band was a theatre marking while the wide yellow band was an RV unit marking?

No it wasn't a theatre marking although a white band was used as a marking for the Mediterranean Theatre along with a white spinner, 30cm white band immediately behind the spinner and white wing tips upper and lower surfaces. JG11 as far as I know was never deployed to the Mediterranean Theatre of Operations.

JG11 was one of the first units to adopt a coloured fuselage band (the narrow white one as in your model) in mid 1943. In Autumn that year Sturmstaffel1 began using a wide black/white/black band at the start of it's opps and it was around this time that JG11 changed to it's yellow band.

• 2 weeks later...

Count me in as well.

I have some 1/32 109's lying around. I also believe that I have a conversion for a Avia 199 in 1/32.

Is there permision for this one in the build as well?

Edited by Arniec