C-2A Greyhound, VRC-30

Building a C-2 Greyhound has been a strange obsession for years, and having mostly finished (always more to do) I admit I'm feeling a bit lost. I suppose it's the modeller's equivalent of "empty nest syndrome." Having built her from the ground up, I don't know what to do next!

In any case, the fuselage is Falcon's 1/72 scale vacuform conversion kit, with donor undercarriage, and modified tail surfaces from a Fujimi E-2C. The wing-fold and wheel-bays are Goffy resin sets, while the interior is all scratch-built. A few of the high points made it into the build thread.

The decals are a combination of E-2C stencilling and national insignia, with UNITED STATES NAVY titles from an LC-130 Hercules sheet. The VRC-30 unit insignia are from Kinetic's 1/48 scale C-2, because oddly enough, Kinetic's unit badges are much closer to 1/72 scale than the intended 1/48th (in my opinion.) When I get round to the 1/48 scale C-2, I'll be using Carcal's beautiful new decals for that bird.

She's not perfect, but I was fairly satisfied with the result after a bit of fettling with the undercarriage and such.

6845239540_a799295f3a_b.jpg

6991367343_7513147f50_b.jpg

As always, critique and input is always welcome. I hope you like her...

• Like 9

stunning build!!

i thought that was injection!! didn't think you could incorporate that amount of detail into a vac form ,cracking finish too ,can`t notice the odd sized decals at all

and it only took you a year and a bit!! doing another one soon?

stunning build!!

i thought that was injection!! didn't think you could incorporate that amount of detail into a vac form ,cracking finish too ,can`t notice the odd sized decals at all

looks good, here's her stable mate for comparrison.

128.jpg

• Like 1

stunning build!!

Many thanks for the kind words. I am working on another--too soon in fact (I foolishly took on two vacuform kits at once.) The other is a heavy re-work of Airmodel 1/72 Gannet AEW.3. There are still a few bits and bobs to sort out, but she's getting there: thread.

looks good, here's her stable mate for comparrison.

Is the photo from Qatar? It looks hot as hades there!

Many thanks for the kind words. I am working on another--too soon in fact (I foolishly took on two vacuform kits at once.) The other is a heavy re-work of Airmodel 1/72 Gannet AEW.3. There are still a few bits and bobs to sort out, but she's getting there: thread.

Is the photo from Qatar? It looks hot as hades there!

It just might be (-: on both counts :lol:

Holy cow! I never would have guessed that was a vac kit! Stunning rendition of a plane that is under-represented in the modelling world. Great job!

Cheers,

Bill

Lovely result, I have the vac conversion and a Fujimi kit waiting, but you now know that Kinetic will now release their Greyhound in 1/72 since you have finshed yours :D

:thumbsup:

Any more pictures?

Doesnt' it always seem they release something just after you've completed the vacuform? I'm just glad to have finished before people are building better ones straight OOB!

I'll try to snap a few shots tonight...

I love it, well done :D

I've had the urge to build one of the rvhp (I think) ones for a while

From what I've seen, the rvhp is really nice--full interior and everything. With the Goffy wing and wheel bays, you woudn't even have to pirate much of the Fujimi/Heller kit...

Thanks all for the kind words,

A. C.

Edited by Arie

• 1 year later...

Hi Arie,

EXCELLENT build on your Greyhound. I too have the Falcon conversion and the extra Fujimi parts but just haven't built up the courage to start my first vac kit. Perhaps I will start with another MiG-3 vac kit I have just to get the feel of things.

Any way, I sure like the look of your build and how you have the extra accessories set up for your diorama. I want to put mine on a carrier deck with personnel and equipment, etc. I will either source some decals or make my own and just need to make/find the antennas and fuel dump.

Again, GREAT build. I can't wait to see your next work.

Cheers,

WARDOG

Edited by WARDOG

• 1 year later...