Hornby Locomotives

Hi

I have a few loco's on Danni rail now but I'm struggling to work out what to

put behind them. This is what I have;

The Evening star 9F (My favourite)

The Mallard A-4 and

An ancient Playcraft Class 21 smelly diesel.

There is an LNER B-12 that came with my first train set but it has coaches with it.

I know the 9F should pull freight trains and the A-4 is for posh passenger trains but I

need advice on what they should pull.

Any help gratefully accepted.

Hi Dannielle

If the A4 is in LNER livery then you could get some Gresley "Teak" finish coaches that are in the Hornby range.

LNER Teak coaches

If it is in British Rail livery then some red or "blood and custard" (red and creamy yellow) BR Mark 1 coaches such as those made by Hornby or Bachmann might suit. Or the teak coaches as above running as a "preservation special".

BR "Blood and Custard" - bon appetit!!

The 9F would not ok out of place hauling 4-wheel box vans:-

9F Freight

Hope this helps.

:giles:

Darius

Edited by Darius at Home

• 3 weeks later...
An ancient Playcraft Class 21 smelly diesel.

You mean that fine piece of engineering from the NBL locomotive company and reproduced in a slightly odd scale (HO) by Jouef/Playcraft??

OK, I could be lying about the fine piece of engineering bit... (not the most reliable of locomotives and probably the reason why MAN engines are seldom seen on the railways)

If it's got discs and green livery aim for 1960s Scotland - the class was quickly relegated to freight duties due to their notorious unreliability

If a headcode box example and in blue, you've got a Class 22 (re-engined 21) which should be more of a SW animal - the class finished at Laira IIRC, with one very nearly making it into preservation

A D number would help... D61xx = Class 21 D63xx = Class 22

Remember... anyone can brew a kettle up, but it takes an engineer to control a series of explosions :rolleyes:

ta

Chris

Edited by English Electric

Beware that Hornby have long had LNER teak carriages in their range that were but a poor representation. There recently have been new releases which are much better models of the prewar Gresley teak coaches. I assume your engine is not in wartime black. It is possible that postwar Mallard will have run (in LNER Blue) with Thompson coaches, which were steel bodies but painted to look like teak. Thompson coaches have only recently come available. BR initially experimented with dark blue express locomotives but soon settled on Brunswick Green. This will have been seen with Thompson and BR Mk.I coaches in "blood and custard" and later marroon. Once Mallard was retired she was repainted in blue and can be seen with a wide range of coaches, but mainly BR MK.I stock in marroon.

I've just checked on Hatton's, pehaps the leading UK mail order railway model shop

http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/17/1/2/0...=1&PrTyID=2

You can get Hornby Gresley coaches in teak and in marroon, and Thompson coaches in teak finish are promised soon. Bachmann do Thompson coaches in marroon. At the moment neither are available in red and cream.

Suburban coaches are also available - you don't want those.

9Fs would also be seen with the heavier mineral waggons, but probably not with the mix of short wheelbase open waggons so beloved in train sets. They were occasionally used to pull passenger trains on very busy days out of Kings Cross, but these would be in BR coaching colours, and of course this would be common in preservation days.

• 1 month later...
9Fs would also be seen with the heavier mineral waggons, but probably not with the mix of short wheelbase open waggons so beloved in train sets. They were occasionally used to pull passenger trains on very busy days out of Kings Cross, but these would be in BR coaching colours, and of course this would be common in preservation days.

I'm not sure whether 9F's in general were used to haul passenger trains. The "Evening Star" certainly was as it was a bit famous being the last steam loco built and as such was always kept a bit cleaner than the standard 9F's.

Any offers?

I'm not sure whether 9F's in general were used to haul passenger trains. The "Evening Star" certainly was as it was a bit famous being the last steam loco built and as such was always kept a bit cleaner than the standard 9F's.

Any offers?

You're generally right: no question that 9Fs were designed and primarily used as heavy freight engines. However they were regularly used on the Pines Express over the old Somerset and Dorset (just 2 allocated at a time, if memory serves) and they were quite commonly pressed into use for excursion trains on summer Saturdays. A few random pics from BR Standard Class 9F by G Weekes (Bradford and Barton, 1975) shows them hauling the Master Cutler on the GCR as well as excursions to/from North Wales, South Wales and the West Country.

• 2 months later...

9f's were used on passenger workings particularly on the S & D. One of the first publicised workings came to light when one of the motoring magazines was testing an Alvis car, they took a picture of one of the (ex?)Crosti boilered 9f's hauling a rake of coaches at around 80 mph.

Evening Star was used on the "Welsh Dragon" a few times and also hauled the very last up and down "Pines Express" before it was rerouted via Oxford. Some 9f's were still allocated to Bath Green Park after this and could be seen hauling 3 and 4 coach stopping trains.

Pete

Hi Danni, In the Cheshire aera (North West England) the 9F's were used to pull ore wagons full of limestone, though they were all black (?) they used ot get very white (grey) weathered, so they looked very delapidated but at the same time workman like. Plus I suppose they would have had a guards van on the rear.

Colin on the Africa Station

Hi Danni, In the Cheshire aera (North West England) the 9F's were used to pull ore wagons full of limestone, though they were all black (?) they used ot get very white (grey) weathered, so they looked very delapidated but at the same time workman like. Plus I suppose they would have had a guards van on the rear.

Yes, with the exception of Evening Star and ex-works locomotives, a clean 9F is almost a contradiction in terms, especially later in their short lives. In particular they seemed prone to extensive white stains down the boiler barrel from the safety valves, which contrasted with the BR Overall Grime of the rest of the locomotive.

Think the only 9F-hauled mineral trains that wouldn't have had a brake-van might have been the Tyne Dock - Consett iron ore trains on the NE Region, which had Westinghouse brakes. But I think even they had brake vans.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Danni, I don't know if you have looked at Hatton's site, they have a very good online website and often have good bargains. You can get a good idea of the carriages you need from the pics. Might just make it easier for you.