Hawker Tempest Mk.V; Academy & Heller 1/72

What first?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What three should I build first? (multiple choice)

• Mk.V in NMF of Sir Roderick Hill?
    • TT Mk5 NMF/Yellow/Black?
    • Mk.VI from Deversoir in "Desert" Scheme?
    • Mk.V of Roland Beamont (AEAF striped)
    • Mk. VI in NMF from Aden?

I compared molds of Heller and Academy...

Surprisingly, Heller isn't so much behind, to my eye, it's shapes, to certain extent, are more appealing to me over Academy. Yes, it has raised lines, yes, it has minimalistic cockpit, once again yes, it would require much more work spent on it.

On the other hand, Academy missed in certain aspects: Shallow wheel wells. Not much improvement against over 30 years old Heller. The most visible part of cockpit - seat is quite parody (Heller gives better looking one)... And, finally, when putting the wing on drawing, somehow it looks too deep, too rounded...

As I will rescribe the Heller (My first attempt on whole kit), I decided to use Heller on Mk.VI, as I must add the intakes and wing radiator.

Scratch - hafta somehow reduce my supplies of sheet styrene... :deadhorse:

Meanwhile I started on the worse one - Heller. Trying to rescribe whole thing using razor saw...

Testing on tail...

P1010146.jpg

And on the cowling. Slow progress, but expected worse. Fortunately, heller plastic isn't the hardest one.

P1010142.jpg

Edited by Severus

Most of the fuselage rescribed, just radiator and a few lines on tail still to do.

Covers and steps - though not according to reality - will be made from attached plastic strips, therefore positive - like acaddemy made on typhoon.

Pics - as promissed:

Many thanks to anonymous toolmakers of Heller!!! Though 30 years old, all substantional lines, though raised, are mostly in correct place. Maybe some lines should be half mm up or down etc., but substantially, all lines can be used as basis for drawing recessed ones, and, if you are as lazy as me, and can stand some half mm of inaccuracy, draw the recessed line using raised one as lead for knife, razor saw, nail or pickaxe :)

P1010150.jpg

P1010149.jpg

Edited by Severus

That's so simply stupid method, not worth to mention, nevertheless, I will try to describe...

I don't have special scribing tool, as I didn't ever dare to rescribe whole kit. There is possible to scribe using sharp edge of knife, but the axial grip is prone to twist, blade itself is too soft, and easily is possible to draw too deep line. Using razor saw (just the blade in hand), though it's much softer, there's much better control of pressure over excel knife, easily you can put the blade on the place of desired line to see, whether it's correct, put the ruler exactly to it and then draw the blade. In comparison to scribing tool, this is VERY primitive method.

This method I use only on the kits, where I need just to repair some lines (after putty orgy), and for the first time I use this method on whole kit, that I learned has most of the lines in the right place, though raised. Yep, the result isn't 100% correct scriing around, depending on the width of the raised line, but with certain considerations it's worst inaccuracy is about half mm, that I find acceptable. For hamhanded ppl, like me, there's certain advantage in better aiming with no need to have ruler handy, actualy, it's possible to be happy with no ruler ;)

Addendum to the above:

With razor saw it's able to engrave even turned lines - if you keep in mention you shouldn't stress the blade beneath the flexible deformation. Be creative :)

After you succesfully duplicated engraved line beside the raised one, don't forget to sand the raised line, and don't be afraid to sand it thoroghly. If you are satisfied with depth as width, clean the line of dust, moisten the brush in perchlorethylene, toluene, xylene or other solvent, and quickly draw the brush over new line. Quickly and by MOISTEN, not drooling brush!

Severus' method is much like the way I prefer to do it too.

Using the raised lines as a ruler for you scribing tool saves up a lot of time too. It does need some practice and sensible fingers, but in the end it works out fine. I personally love kits with raised panel lines!

It depends - rescribing old KitPro (Czech kits, commonly referred as KP, Prostejov, KoPro) is disgusting job, frequently the lines are in the exact place and using raised line ar ruler doesn't apply here, as the resulting engraved line is obviously out of shape, and, those terrible amount of rivets. Still avaiting for rescribe: MiG-19S, MiG-15bis+UTI, S-199 and CS-199 (mule), Ar-96B, Si-204D; these are pretty resistant for this kind of method.

Also, rescribing old Heller's Spit V.b as well as Spit XVI has it's own caveats... If the raised lines are scarce, misplaced and whole kit is out of shape, then the amount of work on this rescribe isn't worth of the time.

Back to tempests...

Couriosity arised - as I compared drawings between modelpress (CZ) and Warpaint, there are differences on tailplane... Not much difference, but I wonder, which one is correct...

Starting to rescribe the wing... Pics later...

Edited by Severus

Back to tempests...

Couriosity arised - as I compared drawings between modelpress (CZ) and Warpaint, there are differences on tailplane... Not much difference, but I wonder, which one is correct...

Probably the best Tempest drawings are the AL Bentley ones, done in the 70's but very good. Can email scans if needed.

The Heller Tempest was probably tooled from these drawings and matches them very well.

see here http://www.hawkertempest.se/ALBentley.htm

this is the Tempest site also has some other drawings, plus walkrounds etc etc http://www.hawkertempest.se/ in case anyone has not already found this resource.

Severus, you mention doing a TT, this thread has some interesting info on TT Tempest on page 2

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...=78498&st=0

HTH

T

Thanks for the info on the razor-saw scribing Severus ! Being mainly a 1/72 builder I'm always interestedin rescibing tips, especially for very curved small areas like the rear fuselage of a WW2 fighter. You seem to be having better results with your method than the ones I often achieve using a scriber (although homemade) and dymo tape..

Probably the best Tempest drawings are the AL Bentley ones, done in the 70's but very good. Can email scans if needed.

The Heller Tempest was probably tooled from these drawings and matches them very well.

see here http://www.hawkertempest.se/ALBentley.htm

this is the Tempest site also has some other drawings, plus walkrounds etc etc http://www.hawkertempest.se/ in case anyone has not already found this resource.

Severus, you mention doing a TT, this thread has some interesting info on TT Tempest on page 2

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...=78498&st=0

HTH

T

Greetings, Troy,

thanks much for mentioning the TT thread, interesting info over there.

Thanks for the info on the razor-saw scribing Severus ! Being mainly a 1/72 builder I'm always interestedin rescibing tips, especially for very curved small areas like the rear fuselage of a WW2 fighter. You seem to be having better results with your method than the ones I often achieve using a scriber (although homemade) and dymo tape..

I don't think it leads to better result. As I checked, depth as well as width somehow varies, though it's acceptable. I must admit, this method has it's limits on curved areas, as is Tempest radiator, moreover, as the lines looked to me somehow misaligned, I tried to draw line across the raised line with limited success. Anyhow, after a few lines scribed, I started to curse the moment I bought those old heller kits... In the end, doesn't look bad, in spite there's missing fuel caps, various service caps and steps... Maybe I will just print some black rings and rectangles on decal paper... :pipe:

Edited by Severus

Only slow updates, as been out of mood. My suspects had been verified, FIL. Though losing wt., patient still retaining his good mood.

P1010170.jpg

Okay, back to tempest

Slowly rescribing the wing...

P1010174.jpg

P1010173.jpg

Edited by Severus

I checked - too late - lines on bottom and upper wing, as well as left and right upper wing. I must admit, I was somehow disappointed, as it seems the lines are frequently off. I keep in mind, approx 1.5 inch from fuselage, where differed left and right panels. Still I have no idea how to proceed various caps, some of them missing, some of them I sanded off. Thinking about two possibilities:

1. decal with rings, rectangles or squares,

2. gluing piece of sheet styrene of desired diameter or size, might look like on certain caps on academy typhoon. Though not too correct, doesn't look too bad.

Okay, very slow progress within last few weeks.

Tried to rectify the radiator mouth; this is the ugliest part of Heller otherwise rather good tempest.

Still has ertain flaws, I'm lazy to bother with it more.

P1010216.jpg

Other side...

P1010217.jpg

Radiator itself... Well, as I didn't have usable grill or mesh handy, decided to cut off the cylinder, put some thin layer of miliput, and draw the saw across it. Though not ideal, finished within 2 minutes :)

P1010219.jpg

Dry fitting of the wing...

P1010223.jpg

Radiator itself... Well, as I didn't have usable grill or mesh handy, decided to cut off the cylinder, put some thin layer of miliput, and draw the saw across it. Though not ideal, finished within 2 minutes :)

P1010219.jpg

That is clever! Thanks for showing us the tip.

Will