Fw190a-8, Tamiya,1/48

Finished the main markings, all of which have been airbrushed on through masks. The model is now Kleared and ready for decals although I didn't paint the red trim tabs so I'll have to do that tomorrow. Should get a lot done, got most of the day to myself. I'm no expert on mottling but I've followed the painting guide fairly closely but when painting an airplane like this I guess a decent knowledge of Luftwaffe markings really helps, and I've tried to keep the patterns tightly airbrushed although in real life they would have been sprayed with factory sprayguns and therefore possibly the edges should be softer, but I don't really know but any friendly debate is welcome. But anyway, I'm really enjoying this!

fw190Tam0001_7.jpg

fw190Tam0002_5.jpg

fw190Tam0003_2.jpg

Nice, if not 'perfect' mottling. If your reference shows it like a tiger pattern, you have nailed it. My mottling tend to be far more random and all over the place. Well done again, and look fwd to seeing her completed, hopefully in time?

I've spent an hour or so adding some grime to the underneath. Tamiya Smoke airbrushed and dabbed. Just got to do the upper surfaces, then Matt, then my favourite part, the washes. Probably won't get much done tomorrow, I'm off to see Cate Blanchett in "Gross und Klein" (Big and Small) at the Barbican tomorrow, closing night, no models are going to keep me away from that.

fw190Tam0003_3.jpg

I've had a major disaster, rushed it yesterday morning and spilt thinners over the area which lifted the paint and caused a horrible mess. I'll have to repair a substantial part of the left side, but worse, I've destroyed the "Kolle alaaf" nose art decal and havn't got another. Does anyone have one from their Tamiya kit going spare that you could sent quickly? I'd still like to get it done for the GB if possible but I think it's looking unlikely. I'd be very greatful for some help, please PM me. I only need that one decal, I don't need the number 19.

fw190Tam0001_10.jpg

fw190Tam0002_7.jpg

Thanks.

I can imagine how you're feeling right now after whats happened with your build, hopefully someone will be able to help you out with the required decal.

Did you know that Ernst Schroder, the pilot of your 190 has only recently died? He passed away on the 17th April aged 89 after having a heart attack.

Wow! :crying: That's really bad luck (and I think we have all been there to a degree) and I feel for you - wish I could help but...

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you to help. I've replied to Jacksdad64 who has a spare so I'm hopeful. At this point I'll just be happy to get the model finished but if I can get it done by Sunday all the better!. I've already masked off tha affected area and have repaired and re-engraved some lost detail and given the area a coat of primer. I hope to have the area pretty much re-painted tonight, or certainly Kleared and ready for the decal by bed time tomorrow. Again, thanks all.

I'm back on track, even though time is short. I airbrushed some smoke over the airframe, mostly around the maintenence and access/high wear areas and will matt coat it tommorrow ready for an oil wash, then I'll finish it up. Thanks again Steve (Jacksdad64) for the replacement decal.

fw190jehgfejhgf0001.jpg