Fw190a-8, Tamiya,1/48

Hi, may I join in? Id like to build the Tamiya 1/48th kit with a couple of Aires sets, the wheel bay set and the pit. I want to keep it fairly simple as I'm a self confessed AMS sufferer and just want to have some fun for a couple of months. I wanted to start earlier but my commitments got in the way as usual, but I've been watching quite a few of the threads and I'm really enjoying this group build. I'd like to rivet it but this is dependent on the time.

I really like this scheme so that's why I've chosen it. This is not a competetive build, just a bit of fun!

DSC_00100002.jpg

DSC_00010001.jpg

Cheers all!

Edited by turnerdad

• 4 weeks later...

Very quick and rubbish update. I've been really struggling to find any time to build, where does all the time go? Anyway, here goes...

First, a quick test fit of the Aires pit. Not bad, I probably won't bother filling around the coaming later, I reckon by the time the windscreen is on any gap should be hard to see, plus my reference pics shows there is a gap anyway (though it's a museum one so who knows...)

Fw190Tamiya0003.jpg

Sprayed the RLM 66 with a lighter shade here and there to add a little light and interest.

Fw190Tamiya0005.jpg

The Aires U/C bay is trickier to fit, indeed it's not wide enough. I've added a section of p-card to each end to close the gap and filled the space. Definitely an improvement to the kit area.

Fw190Tamiya0004.jpg

I'm hoping to be able to move things on over Easter. All the various assemblies are together and primed and awaiting painting so it is coming on.

Night night.

Pit done, wahey, body together and various panel lines re-scribed.

fw190Tam0001.jpg

fw190Tam0004.jpg

fw190Tam0003.jpg

fw190Tam0007.jpg

fw190Tam0008.jpg

fw190Tam0010.jpg

fw190Tam0012.jpg

The upper straps sit over the sills, so will be left off until the end. Check out the awesome glueing of the coaming to the body-that kind of bodge takes skill...

fw190Tam0014.jpg

The armour plate is finished too, but I'll show that later. I managed to mess it up completely and I had to strip off the paint and start again. Much cursing took place.

Time for a beer, take the dogs for a walk and I suppose I should spend some time with my family!

That pit is very nicely painted, I love it! Shame about the Aires wheel well though, that seems to happen quite often with them. It really upsets me as I see this as a money making issue at the expense of the modeller/customer. Resin shrinks, that's a fact so as a company you can't just make a copy of a copy of a copy - you should only use the original master pattern for making the moulds as only that one is true to size....

Having to fill gaps is not the only issue, having detail in different proportions could throw off the general look of the model...e.g. having the holes for the gear legs closer together could alter the stance of the model and so on.

But I'm sure you'll do a great job with it anyway!

I have an Aires Fw-190 wheel well in the stash as well, however it's for the Eduard kit. I hope this one won't have the same problem, I haven't measured yet...

Cheers

Jeffrey

Edited by JeffreyK

Great work! Who's kit is that Aires well designed for then? I thought it was the Eduard - I've just used it on my Monogram kit and if anything it's a little wide for that. I can't believe there would be that much variance between manufacturers on a wheel well - oh, hang on....

Well, I had gone off with the family for a few days on a canal boat but we came back today as the weather was so awful. Still, we had a great day yesterday and my 8 year old daughter caught her first fish, a Perch, quite a large one too. Anyway, the upshot of coming back early is, I've been getting on with the 190. I wanted to rivet it with one of my Rosie the Rivetter tools, but was worried about the time factor but I've started it now so there is no going back. I want to do it fairly quickly but I do sand off the raised nubbin around each indentation, I'm just not keen on having the rivet "raised". It is complicating things a little but I think the results will be worth it, it does mean quite a lot of going back over some holes with a needle to deepen them out, not all of them by any means, and mostly where I've rivetted around tight curves. So far I've done a tailplane, the engine cowl and the gun panel infront of the pit as shown in the photo which was a little tricky. I'm not too concerned about getting perfect lines, or indeed every rivet the same depth. I like some difference in the boldness, just like the real thing but I also want them to be subtle. Whether they will be or not remains to be seen, but this is definitely the way I want to build models in the future, so time to nail the technique! All in all, this took around an hour and a half and I've already primed these parts with Alclad grey primer.

I'm also a big fan of scale thickness, so I removed the moulded kit guns, thinned the front down and will add a set of typically stunning Aber barrels later. It all looks really nice when sat behind the cowl, and will look even better once painted and with a little paint chipping.

fw190Tam0001_1.jpg

Will hopefully get most of the rivetting done tomorrow. That's my hope anyway!