HMS Ocean and HMS Illustrious

Just started this build. It's the OrangeHobby HMS Ocean and Dragons HMS Illustrious, with WEM's Invincible class correction set, Sea King, Harrier, and deck vehicle sets. The inspiration for the dio comes from a photo of the two ships sailing alongside each other with only a ships width apart. I've built the hull of the Illustrious, which turned out to be a bit of a nightmare, (spot the filler). The Ocean has had the large resin moulding stubs removed from the hull and superstructure. The next step will be to get the dremel out to waterline the Illustrious ready for starting the seascape.

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5148.jpg

Should look good - what's the missus going to use to cut the bread on though? :wicked:

Bugger I didn't think anyone would notice. :wicked:

Bugger I didn't think anyone would notice. :wicked:

Nae worries... I have a couple of circular cheese boards from Christmas gifts that might well end up as bases yet :)

:popcorn::shrug: come on chap chop chop no hanging about youre public awaits

Give me a chance, I've only just dremelled the Illustrious. She's now a waterline model.

IMG_5149.jpg

What's left of the lower hull.

IMG_5150.jpg

White Ensign aircraft set. I'll only be using the Sea Kings as the Harriers are the wrong type, so will probably be using the correct kit aircraft.

IMG_5151.jpg

IMG_5157.jpg

The upgrade set.

IMG_5156.jpg

The vehicle set.

IMG_5155.jpg

Don't throw the bottom half of the hull away you could make a diorama of "Vince" in the breakers with that

Nice idea, but I think she's all gone now. Bloomin' shame as I served on her as well as Lusty.

I'll make note of that Mike, although all the parts have had good scrub in quite hot soapy water which seems to have done the job.

In the meantime I've continued with Lusty. The parts fit is pretty terrible, particularly the hull and flightdeck parts. The hull is also twisted which would normally be a problem if I wasn't going to glue it down to the base. The superstructure is only dry fitted at the moment and it appears I've run out of the correct deck colour so will have ot put this on hold for a bit until I can get some more from WEM.

IMG_5167.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

I'll make note of that Mike, although all the parts have had good scrub in quite hot soapy water which seems to have done the job.

I had what seems to be an early production copy direct from OH, it is slightly different in that the island is cast on. The mould release is pretty thick and even after a scrub with detergent and an old toothbrush there are still signs of it, but that might have been remedied in later production. Anyway, it's an outstanding kit.

In the meantime I've continued with Lusty. The parts fit is pretty terrible, particularly the hull and flightdeck parts.

Currently building the Dragon Type 42 so I share your pain, fit is just terrible on most parts.

Mike

The parts fit is pretty terrible, particularly the hull and flightdeck parts. The hull is also twisted which would normally be a problem if I wasn't going to glue it down to the base. The superstructure is only dry fitted at the moment and it appears I've run out of the correct deck colour so will have ot put this on hold for a bit until I can get some more from WEM.

Another WIP bites the dust!!!

Al

That's the spirit!

Have WEM got plenty of stock now? The last time I tried to replenish last year they were having problems with the supplier.

Good job really, the paint arrived very quickly and John at WEM was very kind in getting me the Invincible class superset which will give me what I need for the build.

Looks good

Has made me want HMS Ocean

Go for it. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Right, I've got all the paints and have done some more filling and sanding on the Lusty. No pics at the moment as I'm working out how to make and fit the new stern catwalk, which none of the Invincible class models have included.

Will also be using the latest WEM set for all Invincible class ships.

Sheet1.jpg