Top Gun "Mig 28"

Hi guys,

Had a chance to get some paint on this one over the weekend, starting to look like a "MIG" now! The plan is to get some aluminium on for the exhausts tomorrow night, the I can get on with the small fiddly bits like weapons and undercarriage.

Here she is so far....

DSCN0907.jpg

DSCN0908.jpg

DSCN0909.jpg

Not the most challenging paint job I've ever attempted I'll admit ;)

Rich

Any chance I might be able to see that scan as well. I've got the Revell of Germany F-5F I've been pondering doing the same thing with (especially since the versions I've seen to date have been F-5Es).

"MiG-28s! No one's been this close before!"

Hi! Are you talking about the decal's scan? If yes, just send me a PM with your e-mail address.

Cheers!

Not the most challenging paint job I've ever attempted I'll admit ;)

But it is a nice looking, don't you think? I saw dozens of F-5E and F in my life, but I really would like to see a black one alive.

You are doing a great job!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Realised its been a little while since there was an update on this. I've been doing the small fiddly bits of painting. Undercarriage parts are now getting painted, exhausts have been done, and I've been drawing up some decals.

Here is the latest progress pic...

DSCN0965.jpg

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I had better post an update.

Got a gloss coat on over the weekend and made a start on the decals tonight. I printed my own decals for the tail, but as I feared, I have printed them on clear decal paper and when you put them on the black, they just didn't show up (they were "low vis" markings!). So plan B, I need to find some opaque white decal paper and print them again. I did manage to scavenge some stars from the AFV club F-5N I've got to do the stars on the top of the wings (not sure if these were there on the film plane, but I think they add something)

DSCN0988.jpg

Pretty horrible photo, the gloss black is a nightmare to photograph under my desk lamp, but it gives you the idea

Rich

Edited by Bomber_Harris

I've been considering the problem of the Mig's markings myself as I am contemplating doing this jet's smaller brother in 1/72 with either a Hobbyboss F-5E or an F-5F. For the yellow ring outline, you might be able to cut one either from a WW2 RAF roundel or apply it first, then put a black circle on to cover up the center, then apply the star over that. A cutting compass might also do the job to punch out a paint mask or a piece of painted decal film (although applying a ring is potentially more difficult than applying a circle).

I've been considering the problem of the Mig's markings myself as I am contemplating doing this jet's smaller brother in 1/72 with either a Hobbyboss F-5E or an F-5F. For the yellow ring outline, you might be able to cut one either from a WW2 RAF roundel or apply it first, then put a black circle on to cover up the center, then apply the star over that. A cutting compass might also do the job to punch out a paint mask or a piece of painted decal film (although applying a ring is potentially more difficult than applying a circle).

I've managed to print another set, on white decal paper this time. Many thanks to Peter_W for that! Just added a coat of Liquid Decal Film and will hopefully try applying them tomorrow night. I'll let you know how it goes.

If that does fail, I will be taking your advice and looking for a roundel I can butcher.

hopefully successful photos will be posted tomorrow :please:

Rich

I've been thinking the problem through a bit more as I have a Hobbyboss F-5E on my bench (trying to bang it out for a local club meeting where the theme is "Russian" aircraft since the F-84F "MiG" is going slowly. Checking my decal stash, in 1/72 I found that a 1/72 RAF Roundel (D type I believe for the fuselage, as seen on Mk IX Spits) is almost dead on to the diameter one needs. I'm going to apply that to my model first, maybe mask and spray the insignia blue and white area in black (although insignia blue is close to black, so I only need to really cover the white area) and apply a red star over the top (I've got some CAM Decals Soviet stars in two shades of red that I can try). An Operation Torch through invasion of Sicily USAAF insignia (yellow border, white star) could also potentially work if the star somehow got painted red. In 1/48, it should figure that a fuselage D type RAF roundel for a 1/48 Spit with a star overlaid on top would also potentially work as well.

Update time.

Managed to get the newly printed decals on over the weekend. Much better this time around :)

And got a couple of matte coats on over the last couple of nights.

Getting near the finishing line now, just need to finish off the sidewinders, and add a couple of finishing touches.

Here it is.....

DSCN0994.jpg

DSCN0995.jpg

Rich

Edited by Bomber_Harris

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

First of all I need to start with an apology, for missing the original deadline (for some reason I had it in my mind that it finished at the end of June anyway, but also just couldn't find the time to do anything on it)

Secondly a very big thank you for the extension, it meant that I could actually finish a GB for once!

Well it only too a couple of hours to get her finished, here is a sneak peak, with more pictures going on the Completed builds section.

Its not my best work, particularly the canopy, but tbh I just wanted it finished!!

Hope you like it.

Rich

DSCN1082.jpg