Thunderbirds 'Mole'

Kir

Hi folks, been away from here a few years due to ill health, and with modelling returning, I thought I'd join in this GB as a relaxed swing back into the fray!

Seems a fitting excuse to bring this one out from under the stairs, what's not to like about the Mole?

molebox.jpg

It seems a simple enough looking build, with perhaps a few tricky spots.

Not many parts, but it seems accurate at first glance (I'm sure careful study of screencaps will highlight many things to fix, but as the models in the show varied I'm not going to be a huge stickler for getting it 100%)

molesprue.jpg

Most of the effort will be spent on the painting on weathering for this beast, if I can figure out a good way to get a 'earthy' base, I'll include that as well. Doesn't seem to fitting to have this one sat in limbo, away from the context of it's use.

First thing to do will be removing the horrible seam line from the drill. I might have to strip the chrome, but for now I'm assuming a decent primer coat will stick to it nicely.

mole1.jpg

That's it for now, be back soon with some progress once I kick the lazy from me.

:lol:

I've got this kit in the stash - it was going to be my original contender for this GB but since i did the Firefly for the Emergency Services GB ast year, I thought I'd go for a non Thunderbirds option this time :) At least this kits has tracks separate from the roadwheels!! What you will find regarding accuracy is the body of the mole is missing certain details, plus the tracks on the side of the body are solid and meant to be used to switch the motor on and off. Did yours come with a gearbox and sundry metal pieces?

An F.A.B choice of kit.... I'll grab my coat...

I remember watching the Thunderbird as a wee bairn in my Grans house on a Saturday afternoon after having boiled eggs (lightly seasoned, which made my mum use a sensational choice of language to describe her displeasure) and before the Meringues and fresh cream from M&S got broken into! I particularity remember the mole being used in the Duchess assignment, One of my early favourites along with Terror in New York City...

So I am going to stop blabbing and wish you best of luck and leave you with is,

OHHHHHHHH Shiney!

James

• 1 month later...

I'm building this at the moment, and for what it's worth I found that by the time I'd sanded away the mould line most of the chrome was gone anyway :D Plastikote grey primer (lacquer based) seems to stick fine to the plastic and the chrome on the disc-like piece though.

HTH,

Will