L/F pic of Whirlwind HAR10 XP398

Pat C

Long shot I suspect but would anyone happen to have a pic of 84 Sqd's Whirlwind HAR10 XP398 when it was at Akrotiri? There is a Whirlwind at Gatwick AM which carries this code but I think is actually another airframe. Trying to work out if this aircraft carried a heart or a spade emblem on the tail.

Pat

Hi Pat, Just had a quick squiz through my Whirlwind reference, all I could find was XP345 Diamond, XP329 no badge 'V', XK998 no badge no call sign, XK970 no badge 'P' and XP346 Diamond but in o/a yellow.

hope this is of some use?

Colin on the Africa station

Thanks - actually I think that is the one and I was confusing the Westland manufacturers number (WA386) with the serial. However was hoping to find a pic in service rather than preserved if anyone happened to have one.

Pat

Hi Pat, Just had a quick squiz through my Whirlwind reference, all I could find

was XP345 Diamond, XP329 no badge 'V', XK998 no badge no call sign, XK970 no

badge 'P' and XP346 Diamond but in o/a yellow.

Cheers Colin - you have saved me e-mailing you! I have also got XJ437 (club) and XR454 (diamond) but no sign of XP398 other than at Gatwick :( . Which book were you looking in?

Pat

Hi Pat, all sorts, all mag clipping saved over the years, Air Pictorial, SAM etc. Have you looked on Demobed or Googled the serial?

Colin on the Africa Station

Hi Pat, all sorts, all mag clipping saved over the years, Air Pictorial, SAM etc. Have you looked on Demobed or Googled the serial?

Yep - even tried MAP - they've got that aircraft but not as an 84 Sqd machine. The aircraft is on the RAFdec sheet but not in the SAM which they give as their reference. I wanted to double check RAFDec had got it right but maybe I should just build the blasted thing!!

Pat

Yes, it is. The Heritage conversion is very nice, but I HIGHLY recommend taking a motor-tool to the nose-piece and grinding away as much of the inside as you dare. The nose is very heavy, and will easily crush the landing gear if not hollowed out. I ground away about 50% of the resin, and to this day with I had been more aggressive about it.

Also, remember to remove the windscreen "A" pillars and add bracing wire internally to the windscreen - the Italeri part is late Sikorsky spec, not the Westland style. Be very careful when polishing the windows back to clarity - I didn't have any trouble, but two Canadians I know snapped their windscreens in the process. I sent them my spares, so can no longer ride to the rescue if you break yours. :D