Kotobukyia - 1/72 - Jigabachi

Hi all!

It's been a long time since my last participation in a GB here in BM. I can tell you I am very happy for being around once again. This time, I will be building a Jigabachi on 1/72nd scale. The kit is from the japanese Kotobukyia. I will try to find or I will make some screens from the show to post here. Here is the box of the model:

j001.jpg

I was thinking about to do a review, but I find a great review on YouTube. It's in english and the guy covered all important informations about the model:

Once I started the work, I will be posting here.

Thanks for your visit!

Paul.

Great Choice that man!

I really liked Ghost in the Shell and watched it regularly when it was on the anime channel on sky (The channel has since ceased to exist) and I really liked it! So I can vouch for this kit and say that I will be gladly waiting to see its completion!

James

Hi Graham,

Same feeling here! I couldn’t wait anymore. This model has been in my stash for almost two years. Yesterday, after the dinner, I started the “fight” against it.

Hi RAF Colonel,

Thanks for your kindly words. Ghost in the Shell is one of my favorites animes. Another one that I really like is “Skycrawlers”. The animes that add aviation are always my favorites. There’s a silly one, named “Allison to Lillia” (Allison & Lillian) that has planes too. I already have a Tiger Moth and a Shinden to convert in those that appears in the show.

Well… Let’s go for the first things I did…

This kits are a little bit different from those Airfix and Italeri we are used to build. They look like those “Snap Kits” from Revell or Monogram, but they are a lot of time more accurate. For a kid that is building its first model, glue is not needed. But, as I am not a kid anymore (it’s been ages since then) and don’t want to see pieces falling apart after the job done. I glue all the pieces very smooth and softly. There are too much pieces and it’s a little bit hard to see exactly what we are doing while building. To follow the instruction is a great idea.

I cut and sanded the pieces for the first step. They are those pieces that appears in the upper left corner of the instructions:

j002.jpg

This is the “cockpit”:

j003.jpg

There’s no windshield or something like that. The pilot see the outside through digital screens.

Here, all the first step done:

j004.jpg

Here in Brazil, it’s 21:54. I don’t think I can do something tonight. But if I do, you’ll know tomorrow.

Cheers!

Paul.

Hi Moofles!

Yes! This one and the Tachikoma have a very nice design. There’s another aircraft from Ghost in the Shell that I think it’s very nice. It looks like a V-22 Osprey.

Well… Here are the last things I did in the model…

The down part of the nose was added. In that empty space with two square holes, will fit another piece. As I plan to airbrush the model, I will add this piece after the painting has done:

j005.jpg

j006.jpg

The tailboom is almost ready, just need to add some more pieces:

j007.jpg

The two modules, side by side. As you can see, in that time the tailboom wasn’t sanded yet:

j008.jpg

The tailboom and fuselage glued together:

j009.jpg

The another side:

j010.jpg

Up to now, just two little places asked for Putty:

j011.jpg

j012.jpg

I take my pictures with a Sony with the Macro Function On, so… sometimes I see better the kit details in the picture than with my naked eyes. Just now I realize the top part over the cockpit need a little bit of Putty. But this will be only tomorrow.

See you!

Paul.

Edited by Paul - Brazil

This is one of those "I had no idea this existed, where can I get one?" kind of kits. Looks great - it's such an interesting shape.

Hi! It's a exotic shape, IMHO. I don't know exactly what "Jigabachi" means in japanese. But... I think must be some kind of "hornet".

This model kit it's discontinued. This one I bought from this webstore: http://www.kallan-partners.com They have a lot of interesting model kits.

Best!

thankyousam,

Thanks for your kindly words.

Well… These pictures are the updates I did upto yesterday…

I glued together all the pieces of the right engine:

j013.jpg

I don’t like that gaps between the pieces, so… Putty on them:

j014.jpg

After sanding job:

j015.jpg

Here is the body of the kit. In the right side, we can see the pieces of the left engine:

j016.jpg

The same job I did for the right engine, I am doing for the left.

Each of the five “modules” you can see below are made by 02 or 04 pieces:

j017.jpg

The two front landing gears already glued in their place:

j018.jpg

The left piece will be glued to the body of the kit. The right piece is a little bit exotic. I will glue the machine gun and the main landing gear on it:

j019.jpg

This is how the two part above will fit:

j020.jpg

I want those “teeth” in silver:

j021.jpg

The machine gun was painted with a mix of matt black and silver:

j022.jpg

The plastic of this model is already in the “final” colour. But… I don’t like this “shiny” look. A war machine deserve to wear a flat paint! Testing the right gray:

j023.jpg

Yahoo! It seems I get the right colour in the first tempting! Thanks Humbrol!

j024.jpg

Well… I am “grounded” at home for two days. I am a little bit sick. In english, I should say: “I am with the flu!”. That’s really annoying, but… I can take more time at the workbench!

I hope I can post news again tomorrow.

Cheers and Sneezes! ^_^

Paul.

Great progress and lots of pictures, that's always good! It's an interesting build to watch as, due to the subject matter, I really have no idea what part goes where! Very different to watching an aircraft build, where a lot of us have a good idea of the different sub-assemblies.

Hope you're feeling better soon too...

J.

Hi J!

99.9% of the models that cross my workbench are aircrafts. This feeling of “no idea what part goes where” becomes usual in this model. I double-check each part to avoid mistakes.

Thanks for your words. I am feeling a little bit better today. After all those pills I hope I don’t turn into a mutant.

The four big parts for the machine gun:

j025.jpg

Gun glued in its place:

j026.jpg

This thing fits here:

j027.jpg

The front and rear parts put together:

j028.jpg

Protecting the “silver teeth”:

j029.jpg

After the painting (gray). Those wholes are the place where the main landing gear will fit:

j030.jpg

Here we can see clearly the difference between the grays. The internal “ball” is the original plastic colour:

j031.jpg

Best!

Paul.

Hi all!

These pictures are from the last weekend, when I got some time to the “hornet”...

Main landing gears ready…

j032.jpg

… and already installed:

j033.jpg

Engines painted…

j034.jpg

… and installed:

j035.jpg

j036.jpg

All tires painted in matt black:

j037.jpg

j038.jpg

This is the way the whole thing is looking up to now:

j039.jpg

This part looks like a mouth… I really don’t know what it intends to be, but I know its place it’s there: ^_^

j040.jpg

Easy to view with the flash:

j041.jpg

I think I have 50% of the work done now.

See you!

Paul.

That's looking great. Wildly different to conventional (well, real) helicopters. It's a while since I've seen the movie, does the gun pod swivel forwards like a hornet's abdomen/stinger?

That's looking great. Wildly different to conventional (well, real) helicopters. It's a while since I've seen the movie, does the gun pod swivel forwards like a hornet's abdomen/stinger?

Hi Will!

Thanks for your words.

Yes. We can change the position of the gun pod. Below it’s the part of the instruction for this:

j042.jpg

Here it’s the Instruction Manual’s cover:

j043.jpg

But I choose to put a little bit of glue in support frame of the gun pod (see the white circle below). As this model will stand among others of the same scale in the shelf, I want it no “movable” parts beyond the main rotor. If, someday, I will change my mind, will be easy to re-work that place. The plastic stand for the model is a little bit tall and some incident can happen anytime.

Cheers!

Paul.

That's an excellent looking craft! Looking forward to seeing her finished, keep up the great work!

J.

Thanks J!

I hope to finish him (or her) ^_^ soon. So I could make a second kit on this GB.

Cheers!

Paul.

Edited by Paul - Brazil

Hi all!

Mike and Graham, thanks for your kindly words.

Here are the last things I did in the model…

Glued that part with the “pin” where the main rotor will fit:

j045.jpg

That’s was a little bit annoying. Each of this missiles have 03 parts. For 08 missiles: 03 x 08 = 24 parts:

j046.jpg

The little wings ready, with the rocket launchers:

j047.jpg

Already in their places:

j048.jpg

j049.jpg

I “airbrushed” a coat (is it right to speak “coat” or is a layer?) of gloss varnish:

j050.jpg

Same pictures, with flash:

j051.jpg

The missiles will need some painting. I am thinking about Black:

j052.jpg

That’s all for now.

Have a great week all of you!

Paul.

Well, well... tonight, after dinner, I manage to do a wash in the chopper. As I painted it with enamels, the wash must be with acrylics. I took some water, drop a very little bit of acrylic matt black and did what I need to do. Below is the result. To be true: I liked. The recessed lines "came" to the pictures, letting the whole thing a little bit more real. Oooops! This is Sci-Fi! :huh: "... letting the whole thing as appears on the TV show." ^_^

j053.jpg

j054.jpg

Stay tunned for more news during this week!

:bye:

Gets better (and more scary looking) with each update - cool!

D

I agree. If this thing really would exist, just its shape in the battlefield would be "psycho-weapon"!

Hope I can finish this weekend.

Cheers!

Paul.

Hi all!

Here are the last updates. These things I did through this last week.

Painted the left navigation light:

j055.jpg

Pained the main rotor parts:

j056.jpg

The 03 main parts already glued:

j057.jpg

The missiles received Tamiya Acrylic Gloss Black:

j058.jpg

I drop a little light green in the noses of the missiles:

j059.jpg

At this time, I already paint the right navigation light, with the same green. To be true: It’s green zinc chromate. :)

The missiles in their places:

j060.jpg

Today, I finished the model. My last post will be with the “ready for inspection” pictures.

Cheers!

Paul.

Hello again!

Here are the Ready For Inspection pictures:

j061.jpg

j062.jpg

j063.jpg

j064.jpg

j065.jpg

j066.jpg

And here… He rest on his base. The base was a gift from my brother. It’s a dark glass with a nice look of a mirror:

j067.jpg

j068.jpg

The model is finished. The “Tachikoma” that comes in the box will be build in another occasion. I have plans to build the “vertol” from the movie too. I had a real funny time building this little hornet. Thanks a lot for all of you that waste your time visiting the thread. A big “Thank You!” for those who let here some kind words!

As this GB goes up to next June… Hmmmm… Which one will be the next? :)

Cheers!

Paul.