Wingnut Wings Fe2b

Viking

Well the holes are marked as dimples, but you have to drill them through.

GeeBee, I do almost the same I just turn it upside down ;)

Graham, now theres a thought. I haven't really looked at the booms yet. I'll study them and mull over how the hell I am going to do them. The lines need to be taut, but not distort the structure.

Cheers,

John

Well the holes are marked as dimples, but you have to drill them through.

>>>>>>>GeeBee, I do almost the same I just turn it upside down ;) <<<<<<<

Graham, now theres a thought. I haven't really looked at the booms yet. I'll study them and mull over how the hell I am going to do them. The lines need to be taut, but not distort the structure.

Cheers,

John

Ah,cunning........................I like it.

Looking fantastic, John -

As the rigging - just to 'throw my hat into the ring' I also prefer (where possible) to drill through top wing. This is because I find it easier to file and sand out the filler on the top rounded surface. Not so easy on lower wing. That said, sometimes you have to go through lower one though.

John, are you going to give the stretched cotton bud handles a go to simulate turnbuckles on this build?

Dave

John, are you going to give the stretched cotton bud handles a go to simulate turnbuckles on this build?

Dave

Hi Dave,

I thought about it, and quickly calculated that just to get this far I would need about 116 of them! Never mind the rest of the rigging yet to come.

I'll give it a go on something with fewer wires. I did try it a few years back on a 1/48 Albi, and thought it was overscale. 1/32 might be about right though,

Cheers,

John

Your probably right in that case, John!!

I agree using on aircraft with less wires a good idea. I used these for the second time on my completed WNW Albie and seem to have started to get the hang of stretching to a more consistent width. I think they work quite well as a cheap and simple method - see what you think of them. There is a definite knack to stretching them though. If you pull them straight after heating over candle they just stretch out to a really fine thread. To ensure they come out thicker, remove from flame and then wait about half a minute before pulling out.

Regards

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Progress is plodding along!

The tail is on (or should that be rear fuselage?). The nightmare now is working on it without breaking it, but it is all pretty strong thanks to the fishing line rigging.

The precision with which all parts fit is astonsihing, the booms just went in exactly where they were meant to. Rigging them was easy, there are lottle holes ready to take the line and I just zig zagged them along the booms. The control wires a bit more tricky, I did the rudder lines in one sitting, and the eveator line today. Next up are the aileron lines. She's getting closer to finished now.

I just popped the wheels on for the photos, they are not ready to fix on yet.

Fe2b22.jpg

Fe2b23.jpg

Fe2b24.jpg

Cheers,

John

Looking fantastic. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Finished and added to the 'ready for Inspection forum!

Heres a couple of shots;

Fe2b-30.jpg

Its so big I had to take it in the garden to photograph!

Fe2b-31.jpg

Cheers

John

• Like 1

That is truly one fantastic "Fee".

I've got one sitting in the stash awaiting a time when I feel confident enough to give it a go. If mine turns out anywhere as near as nice as this one I shall be extremely happy (not to mention surprised!)

Great work. Really superb!

D.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Truly superb.

A question if I may. The fishing line that you have used for the rigging is called Chameleon in colour...what colour is that? I've seen the WNW RAF flat rigging elastic material but that is a very light, off white colour and looks a bit out of place.

Trubbie

:partytime:

A question if I may. The fishing line that you have used for the rigging is called Chameleon in colour...what colour is that? I've seen the WNW RAF flat rigging elastic material but that is a very light, off white colour and looks a bit out of place.

Thank you all guys!

The Chameleon line is a sort of very dark bronze. Not 100% accurate, but I agree with you, its better than some of the white/off white elastic threads.

Cheers

John

• 4 weeks later...