Revell 1/28th D.VII

Acky190

You've done well to get hold of one of these kits - I tried to hold of one a while back with no success. Eleven quid seems really good value.

From what I've read on the internet, there are some accuracy issues (can't remember precisely what they are but I recall the depth of the fuselage is too deep) and getting the top wing on is troublesome.

If it was me, I would still buy the kit and and have a go at building it anyway. Others here might be more well placed to offer specific advice on this particular kit though.

Dave

The kit is based on an example l think in a Belgium museum. The problem is it is not a good example of the plane. This particular plane was modified as a two seat trainer with an addition seating in the back. The fuselage in that area was widen to accommodate the second position. When the museum restored it they just skinned over the second seat position and never altered the airframe back to original specs. This makes it and the kit too wide in this area. Another problem is the wings are wrong they should be flat across the top with tapper to ends at the bottom. Revell somehow got this reversed. There is a good build over at LSP of this kit which all of the correction are made.

You may never see this kit out again as once Revell found out about its short comings they pull production and no one has seen it since.

I know it well.

DDN17.jpg

DDN24.jpg

http://www.wwi-n-plastic.com/index.php?act...mp;productId=83

There was a similar build in Finescale modeler some years ago too. The real problems come from the fuselage being too thick in profile height and the wings needing some alterations to match the wash out. Easy to do but I also replaced the motor with a resin version from Tom's Modelworks. With WNW possibly bringing out "extra" sprues it could be easier to to swap out. It just depends on how much AMS you have.

Edited by JackFlash

me olde mate david lee would say its the worst by far of the revell 1/28 series. i have an article i downloaded about how to fix the profile errors and build a nice dvii. send me a message if you want and i'll see if i can capture the pages and email them to you.

Edited by albatros1234

Hi Jack,

that looks good.Can you remember which issue of FSM that was in?I used to have the article in question,but its gone walk-about,and I've got a friend who has all the FSM mags and I can ask him to loan me the relevant copy.

TIA...........Dave.

I have the article if any one wants a copy, It's from FSM Jan' 99. Drop me a PM and I will send you the scans, they are large files....Tony

After looking at the PDF scan that Tony sent me and looking over the kit I think it is more than my skills will be able to take on so I will be adding it to my trade list! I am normally a 1/72nd modeller so this won't be missed!

The Revell kit is probably the only source of a 1/28 scale Mercedes engine in existance. All this item really needs is a little detailing.

As to the rest of the kit, it's quite possible to alter the incorrectly shaped parts without the traumas mentioned by others. If you want a DVII to stand alongside the other 1/28 kits, this is your only choice.

Give it a go.

Trubbie