1/32 - Lockheed F-117A Nighthawk by Trumpeter - released

Homebee

Source: http://old1.trumpeter-china.com/a/en/produc.../0302/2071.html

Lockheed F-117A Nighthawk

1/32nd - Trumpeter - ref.03219

The Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk was a single-seat, twin-engine stealth ground-attack aircraft formerly operated by the United States Air Force (USAF). The F-117A's first flight was in 1981, and it achieved initial operating capability status in October 1983.The F-117A was "acknowledged" and revealed to the world in November 1988.

A product of Lockheed Skunk Works and a development of the Have Blue technology demonstrator, it became the first operational aircraft initially designed around stealth technology. The F-117A was widely publicized during the Persian Gulf War of 1991. It was commonly called the "Stealth Fighter" although it was a ground-attack aircraft, making its F-designation misleading.

The Air Force retired the F-117 on 22 April 2008, primarily due to the fielding of the F-22 Raptor and the impending introduction of the F-35 Lightning II. Sixty-four F-117s were built, 59 of which were production versions with five demonstrators/prototypes.

7-1203021H54694.jpg

7-1203021H63199.jpg

7-1203021H637100.jpg

7-1203021H643101.jpg

7-1203021HA4102.jpg

7-1203021HF8103.jpg

7-1203021HG5104.jpg

7-1203021H61898.jpg

7-1203021HG9105.jpg

7-1203021H60397.jpg

7-1203021H55696.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

Nice kit, the weapons sprue is a bit questionable?

I thought the F-117A used the GBU-27 as this was specifically designed for it?

Julien

The F-117A did use the GBU-27 but it could also carry the GBU-10 and 12.I think the sprue is from the F/A-18E/F kit and included just to avoid tooling a separate sprue for the weapons.

Notice the date on the fret `2010'.

Just goes to show it takes a couple of years for a kit to come to fruition even though this kit was only announced recently.

Robert

Actually - I think it could be a good canvass for some really subtle shading/weathering...

I gave of an my 'rebuild' of the Revell kit years ago!

From an aeronautical development perspective I'd really like on in my collection. Probably a pretty fast build too.

Would have to build one of the RAF crewed ones though, obviously :)

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Call it nitpicking but it's not a Lockheed Martin F-117A, it's a Lockheed F-117A. BTW it's a Trumpeter kit, not HobbyBoss as the topic title states.

Hoï,

Hartelijk bedankt! ;)

Done.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Hmmm....

How odd, I've never seen Air Force Fiscal Years that started with an Alpha character.... "B0"..... "B1"... :huh:

Good thing I rarely use kit decals! :lol:

Yes, I noticed that quirk too. I guess paint masks are the best option for this model in any case (?)

Apparently the Gulf War GBU-27s are available from Trumpy's big F-14B; I have an F-14D in the attic and can't recall if that also has them.

As ericg on LSP has noted, no throttle controls and the stick is a bit basic, and wheel wells and weapons bay fairly bland for a modelof this size.

Wonder what the inside of the separate canopy frame looks like? Nice touch though.

I was seriously tempted, but am now thinking it may be too expensive due to the need for:

throttles and stick top from Academy F/A-18 or Aries replacement

undercarriage from Tamiya F-15

Aries wheel wells, assuming they aren't based on fantasy

Aries weapon bay

Masks/decals

Straps for seat etc

raiding a pristine Tomcat for correct weapons

- all adds up to more than I can probably justify on the appeal/cost intersection graph

but then again it's got the platypus exhaust troughs and one can replace the IRADS sensor windows with fine mesh. Really just need some very detailed references for scratching a lot of bits. Hmm. Dunno!

tony t