Magnifying glass with light, feedback welcome on this product

Decoman

It's not that I am helpless in trying to evaluate if this lamp below is useful, but I still want to try getting some feedback before buying this. Alternatively I should try find some more suitable tool that can provide both magnification and lighting.

Also, to be honest I am not sure what to expect from the magnifying glass here. I like how this thing is small compared to a lamp one can swing about around on the table, but suspect it's small size might be a hazzle in some situations.

According to product description, this lamp seem to be 40 cm tall, with a 10cm diameter large magnifying glass.

According to the description, this product comes with:

3 x diopter (approx. x1.75 magnification)

12 x diopter (approx. x4 magnification)

Not sure what to expect from the various diopters, product description is vague. I guess the small lid shown in the photo is there to keep dust away. It looks as if the part with the magnifying glass can be rotated sideways as well as up and down.

13ymljd.jpg

Edited by Decoman

I got one very similar from hobby craft, magnifier is pants but the light is very good! If you can get it cheapish then it probably useful just for the light.

Phil

Seconded. I have a similar lamp (like Phil's also from Hobbycraft) and the daylight lamp is very good, but the magnifier was pony even before it got covered in airborne paint particles from my airbrush.

Seconded. I have a similar lamp (like Phil's also from Hobbycraft) and the daylight lamp is very good, but the magnifier was pony even before it got covered in airborne paint particles from my airbrush.

Thirded. Good light source, poor magnifier. Might be my cack eyesight though lol!

:) That lamp of yours look pretty much exactly like the other lamp I can buy. This other lamp has a slightly larger diameter than the model I linked a picture to in my first post here.

According to the webpage, there are only 3 diopters coming with this other lamp. The light seem more powerful with 22W instead of 12W (the one from the first post).

I suspect I might change my mind and go for this other lamp. A third option is some similar (possibly higher quality, lamp for wood carving) lamp, but that one costs over twice the price than this other lamp.

I bought this other lamp with the 22W light and I have to conclude that the magnifier seem fairly useless. At least the lamp offer some nice and bright white'ish light, and it was cheap.

Edited by Decoman

I bought this other lamp with the 22W light and I have to conclude that the magnifier seem fairly useless. At least the lamp offer some nice and bright white'ish light, and it was cheap.

I had considered getting a magnifying lamp, but in the end decided to utilise a normal magnifying glass (it has good magnification and glass size) which I have set in a block of wood at a tilt, and use a separate lamp to light the subject. I find this works very well because the magnifyer is set just above the item I am working on. I already had the magnifying glass so it was natural I suppose that I'd try this way, but it works well.

• 2 years later...

I use THIS great light source and now a bleeding good price. The magnifying is OK but you have to find the sweet spot.

I've just ordered on of these. At £24.99 it looks a bargain. The one at hobbycraft is a 7" lens as opposed to the 5" from Maplin. And 28W not 22W. But the Maplin light is £100 cheaper.

For what it's worth I bought one of these a long time ago to help fixing specs (one of the unkindest things in old age, having to fix your reading glasses) and it's okay...

BUT for modelling I would suggest a cheap but high powered lamp like this and one of those magnifying things you stick on your head. Paul has one here but you could shop around and get the cheap one I have where the headband is so rubbish it keeps falling down and chopping off my nose.

HTH

Ced

It came today (ordered Thurs.). My eye sight isn't that bad that I Ned reading glasses, yet. It seems good enough for me and bright enough. I just painted, and corrected some of the faults, the pilot of the Hurricane I'm currently making. I'll see how I get on as my eyesight goes off over the next few years and I need reading specs.

• Like 1