Eagle Transporter

Smiffy

If they are old decals or not sure how old they are give them a shot of something like testor gloss cote or similar to reseal them in. Otherwise you may find they will break up upon hitting the water.

Edited by hacker

Paul - try having a look at the J-Bot or Griffin Games transfers.

I have the Griffin items; they look great, but I haven't used them yet - the detailing/conversion project is still way down the list.

Hi Rick, I'm not familiar with Griffin games. I did try J-Bot a while back, but they don't seem to be accepting new orders at the moment. :shrug:

If they are old decals or not sure how old they are give them a shot of something like testor gloss cote or similar to reseal them in. Otherwise you may find they will break up upon hitting the water.

Hey Hacker. The problem with the kit decals is not with the age, the issue is just that they are poor . Badly researched, wrong size, not enough and generally useless . Hence the need for replacements. ;)

On the subject of the Eagle Transporter, I thought you might be interested in this. It's the cover of the January 1978 Meccano Magazine and shows an Eagle built from Meccano by a company employee called Dave Gunstone, using the Dinky toy as reference. This one is a wee bit bigger though - the holes in Meccano parts were spaced half an inch apart, so by counting the holes you can work out what size this model is. For instance the cargo pod is 71/2" wide.

I'm trying not to think of what it weighs...

Eagle.jpg

Not a lot since it would be hollow. I built a Meccano Traction engine a couple of years ago and it was easy to lift it up even though it was about 3 foot long, a foot wide and 18 inches tall... this was it:

DSCF1991.JPG

Meccano isn't very heavy normally. Back in the 70s I attempted to build an Eagle out of Meccano but it wasn't very good :)

Edited by Kallisti

Hey Smiffy, how's this coming along? Has the re-working of the cages driven you insane? :mental:

Been a bit busy and not had a lot of time to work on it, but I did manage to get a bit more done this week. It is tedious work though and to be honest, I'm not really happy with how the cages are turning out. They look a bit... well, crap really. It's the crossed cages top and bottom that are the worst. I was considering cutting the whole lot out and re-building them with plastic rod, but I know I'll never get it finished if I go down that path, so I'm gonna keep plodding along and see what happens. :banghead:

The more I look at this kit though, the more problems I spot. The list of stuff that needs fixing is getting longer. I've got the week off, next week, so I'm hoping to make some decent progress then.

On the subject of the Eagle Transporter, I thought you might be interested in this. It's the cover of the January 1978 Meccano Magazine and shows an Eagle built from Meccano by a company employee called Dave Gunstone, using the Dinky toy as reference. This one is a wee bit bigger though - the holes in Meccano parts were spaced half an inch apart, so by counting the holes you can work out what size this model is. For instance the cargo pod is 71/2" wide.

I'm trying not to think of what it weighs...

Eagle.jpg

Very kewl. B)

Incidently,this week I managed to get hold of another Anderson subject that I've been after for a looooong time. A Shado Interceptor. :coolio:

Back in the 70s I attempted to build an Eagle out of Meccano but it wasn't very good :)

The secret is to work in the Binns Road Model Department like this guy - then you have access to an unlimited supply of parts!

Incidently,this week I managed to get hold of another Anderson subject that I've been after for a looooong time. A Shado Interceptor.

Is that the Imai model? I hope its better than the Sky 1 model they do which is as bad, if not worse than the truly awful Firefly kit!

Is that the Imai model? I hope its better than the Sky 1 model they do which is as bad, if not worse than the truly awful Firefly kit!

Ohh no, it's a resin job (possibly Comet?).

I have the Firefly of which you speak and can only agree. We really need someone (cough Airfix cough) to step up and start producing some modern kits of these great old Anderson vehicles.

Bandai did a SHADO Interceptor in styrene which is actually not bad at all (and it doesn't have wheels either, just a spring loaded firing missile). It needs a little tweak here and there, but proportionally it looks good. I was considering doing it for this GB, but they are kind of hard to find and I haven't quite worked up the nerve to do it yet.

Sorry to hear that the slog is not going so well Smiffy. Just remember if you can't do it as an intact Eagle, you can always do it as a trashed one (since they spent just as much time crashed as they did flying). That Meccano Eagle is pretty impressive looking I must say. Its size would probably rival that of the old Mattel Eagle toy I had as a kid (and it looks much better proportionally).

Sorry to hear that the slog is not going so well Smiffy. Just remember if you can't do it as an intact Eagle, you can always do it as a trashed one (since they spent just as much time crashed as they did flying).

I had already considered that actually and it may yet end up, half buried into the lunar surface. :D