An XJ220 and an AC Cobra

Graham77

Hi all, once i have some space on the building table I am hoping to get on with a Jaguar XJ220 and an AC Cobra. Two cars i have been looking for an excuse to build for ages and with htis GB I have it. The XJ220 was stolen in Gone in 60 Seconds (Bernadine) and although there was also An AC Cobra the only photo is pretty useless (its all in shadow) I'll use the one from "Suits" which is silver with black stripes. Here are the pics and the kits

First the Jag

XJ220.jpg

IMG_3380.jpg

Then the Cobra

accobra.jpg

cobra2.jpg

IMG_3382.jpg

Looking forward to getting started on these pair and building something again that doesn't have wings

Cheers

Graham

Edited by Graham77

They ever have a 220 or an AC Cobra on Top Gear? I know they had a 220's engine in the back of a van during the Top Gear UK vs. Top Gear Australia challenge. If they ever had these cars, I suppose they might qualify as well. :D

Clarkson has definitely had the 220 and the cobra in his DVD's and the Cobra has also made appearances in Bad Boys (car Chase at the end) and in Iron Man (In Tony Stark's garage with an array of other beauties), albeit in Blue and white rather than Silver and Black. Having seen what others are attempting for this GB a pair of cars seems like a bit of a kop out but its what I have in the stash (the wish list however is starting to grow again :o )

Edited by Graham77
User Error

Having seen what others are attempting for this GB a pair of cars seems like a bit of a kop out but its what I have in the stash (the wish list however is starting to grow again :o )

Not at all.

I considered doing the Charger from Burn Notice.

It adds a bit of variety to the GB.

Got some sunshine so out with the primer, had a quick go at the body and base and put some seats and the engine block together, hopefully get some more primer on later and look at tidying up some seam lines etc on some of the other parts.

IMG_3417.jpg

Quick question. The engine and the wheels are chromed but I am not too keen on it. I have in the past just primed over it and painted but have read that stripping the chrome is better, what do those who strip it use?

IMG_3419.jpg

Thanks for your help

Graham

Quick question. The engine and the wheels are chromed but I am not too keen on it. I have in the past just primed over it and painted but have read that stripping the chrome is better, what do those who strip it use?

I've heard Fairy power spray is suppossed to be good, but have also heard of people using bleach or brake fluid.

I've used modelstrip before and that worked really well. It came straight off.

Off to a flying start! looking good so far. Fairy Power spray, household bleach or plain old regular Coca Cola all work for stripping chrome, just make sure you get the yellowish coating beneath off as well. looking forward to seeing these pair come together

• 2 weeks later...

About time I got on with these I think so have spent the last couple of nights blitzing the 220. Lots of sub assemblies at the moment but hopefully once all the fiddly bits are done the car will come together fairly quickly.

First off to an easy start with the wheels

IMG_3425.jpg

Next was to dry fit the body and all its glazing, bonnet and spoilers

IMG_3426.jpg

Then started spraying some black on the base of the car and the chassis and cabin

IMG_3430.jpg

Some more black for the seats and the steering wheel

IMG_3434.jpg

and finally for now a start at the engine, slowly adding bits, matching the colour to some pics I have and then painting, gluing, touch up painting and weathering bit by bit. Will take a while but hopefully will be worth it in the end. I might even add some extra wires etc if I have the time

IMG_3433.jpg

Thats it for the time being hopefully I'll get a bit more done over the weekend, hopefully get the dashboard painted and start constructing the cabin.

Cheers for looking and any guidance or advice is greatly appreciated

Cheers

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, this seems to be lots of tidying up pieces, priming, retidying up and then painting. Soon should start getting it all together and the car should take shape.

For now a little more done on the engine

IMG_3443.jpg

The dash has some more paint on it (needs some tidying on the passenger side)

IMG_3445.jpg

and the bodywork has its first coat of paint (the rear spoiler is only dry fitted in the pic and hopefully should get attached today ready for another coat of paint.

IMG_3448.jpg

Thanks for looking

Graham

Had some time this evening to get the interior put together

IMG_3457.jpg

IMG_3455.jpg

IMG_3456.jpg

Now for some advice, this interior is not going to be properly seen due to the glazing so its a great opportunity for me to practice on. Wht is the best way to now highlight etc various parts of the dash and seats so that it isn't all just flat black. This has always been a problem I have had with car interiors. I was tempted to try a gloss and matt varnish on different panels and see how that turns out but would be keen to know if any of you have any tips or tricks to increase the realism. The cobra following next will have an open top and I'd like to be able to do a good job on that one that will be seen.

Cheers for tonight

Graham

Nice. That body work looks grand. B)

Interior is looking good, too. :thumbsup2:

I'm not an expert, but when I did my GT40 interior (which was mainly black) I painted the separate components with different shades and sheens to give a bit of contrast. I remember doing the seats satin black, because they were supposed to be vinyl. I used Tamiya Nato black for the matt sufaces. Then I lightened it slightly for some of the other areas. I also used matt black, but I buffed it with some kitchen roll to give it some sheen. The finished effect was very subtle, but is just about noticable.

Next time, I will probably be a bit bolder in my choice of shades, just to make it all a bit more contrasty. :)

Thanks for the ideas smiffy, I'll give it a go on the next car and see what happens. The bodywork sprayed well, but I have found a couple of areas I'm not happy with so a little wet and dry and another coat will be order of the day, just need a little bit of sun for that.

Another little bit of progress today, the front suspension section

IMG_3467.jpg

And here it is with the instructions, I am really enjoying these as they tell you what to paint, what to stick and how best to do it and don't just rely on diagrams which sometimes can cause confusion

IMG_3469.jpg

And fitted to the chassis with the engine and some of the rear chassis

IMG_3471.jpg

Finally dry fitted the passenger compartment, watch all the engine detail disappear

IMG_3474.jpg

Finally from above, it may seem like there is a lot of space in there and at the moment you would be correct however there are still two air intakes, two turbochargers, two catalytic converters and the exhaust system so it should look nice and full when finished..... aswell as the driveshafts and the rest of the back suspension

IMG_3477.jpg

Thanks for looking, hopefully got all the car talk correct and looking forward to adding some more components over the next week

Happy Easter all

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick up date, the bodywork is now sprayed and ready for the final touches

IMG_3484.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

And underneath the rear axles and engine are in and I am starting to add the exhaust and other engine parts

IMG_3478.jpg

Without sounding too cocky I think this is fairly close to finished just a few good nights of work and should be done, but that will have to wait til next week as I have a concorde to finish by the weekend.

Cheers for looking

Graham

That's a very nice silver finish there Graham. How did you achieve that?

Mike

Thanks, it surprised me too. I did a couple of coats of halfords primer until I was happy all the panel lines and other marks were gone, very quickly and very wet, wet and dry let it dry then two coats of Halfords Aluminium paint. First was quite heavy handed second a lot finer and seems to have worked a treat. I am hoping I can reproduce it on the Cobra for the next build, although I am considering doing a Gloss Black undercoat and then masking it before spraying the silver to get the racing stripes along the top of the bodywork, will have a practice on some scrap first.

Cheers

Graham