1/72 Blue Thunder from Airfix Gazelle

Dermo245

Why give myself the ease of a straighforward build, when I can convert a tiny helicopter into a tiny movie/TV helicopter!

This beauty..

bluethunderHelicopter.jpg

From this..

Kits063.jpg

There's obviously a dark side of my modelling brain which thinks;

1. I can do it

2. It will kind of look like the real thing

3. It will be finished in time

4. I won't go plain loopy with all those cockpit angles

I'm blaming the paint fumes.

Good luck with your builds.

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245

Good luck with this fiddly little kit. Am I correct in thinking the actual blue thunder was converted from a gazelle or similar? If so I wonder if there are any good sites out there showing how they did the real thing that would help you do the scale version.... Looking forward to your progress

Graham

I'll be watching along.

Does that mean I'm JAFO?

If you know exactly what the acronym means it does. ;)

I'm not going to say this project is impossible of course, given that I've seen some pretty cool things done of late with models that I never expected could be done. But, this is going to be one heck of a challenger for certain. Good luck man!

The more I think about it, what about scouring the web to see if somebody has done a paper model for Blue Thunder? The nose conversion is mostly flat panels and if they could be sized right, they would work for cutting plasti-card. The tail, engine, skids and core of the frame are the same (albeit BT had some mocked up armor plating glued to it).

The more I think about it, what about scouring the web to see if somebody has done a paper model for Blue Thunder? The nose conversion is mostly flat panels and if they could be sized right, they would work for cutting plasti-card. The tail, engine, skids and core of the frame are the same (albeit BT had some mocked up armor plating glued to it).

Just had a quick search and couldn't find anything about a previous conversion.

This might be useful though:

http://www.scale-rotors.com/news-reviews/f...under-fmd-22-32

I acquired a set of Fireball's 1/32 decals for my Monogram BT. They are EXCELLENT quality. And since he does ALPS prints (assuming he can still do that) he should have the ability to scale down to 1/72 scale. He may also offer them for the 1/48 Aoshima kit.

Hi!

You can find a good Blue Thunder paper model here: http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura/gallery...ails.php?id=616

I hope it helps you.

Best!

Paul.

Thanks for link Paul - that's helpful, especially for some of the shapes around the nose.

Thanks also to Smiffy for some great refs which I'll put to good use.

So here's what you get in this kit...

IMG_1738.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

Looking at some side profiles, it's clear that I need to take away the cockpit to just above the skids...

IMG_1800.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

I've left the front canopy frame for the time being to help with alignment (sounds plausible!)

IMG_1824.jpg

Some of Smiffy's refs also show the cockpit interior so coupled with some pics of the 1/48 kit, the back seat area for JAFO needs some work. Out with the seat backs and cushions..

IMG_1825.jpg

And in with the beginnings of the crew consoles. Still need to box these in fully.

IMG_1827.jpg

Thanks for reading and for your good luck messages (which I'll need!)

All the best,

Dermot

• Like 2

Just a quick update here.

Added some "insulation" to the cockpit behind JAFO and boxed in the consoles. Smiffy's reference pics show some feck-off big monitors back there (state of the art in 1983 I guess) but I've gone for slightly smaller sized ones. (Or what i could make last night) Also extended Murphy's instrument panel on each side..

IMG_1837.jpg

Can't help but thinking this is the calm before the storm of trying to frame that cockpit!

Thanks for reading.

Dermot

• Like 1

some feck-off big monitors back there (state of the art in 1983 I guess)

Texas Instruments, prob'ly. :rolleyes:

Nice work. :thumbsup2:

I must admit, I don't envy you when it comes to the exterior. The sides of the cockpit shouldn't be too bad, but when it all tapers down into the nose area... :wacko:

Are you doing it closed up, or will you have the canopy open?.

This should be good!

Blue Thunder is a proper TV helicopter, forget Airwolf, Blue Thunder ruled in my house.