Routemaster RM1699 conversion

I have spent the better part of the day fitting the seats and trying to get some realistic look to it all. When you come to the point of seat fitting, take your time and dry fit every single seat in the position it will be installed in to ensure all line up nicely. I had to slightly trim all six right hand “pillar” frames at the bottom where they sit on the small side wall “shelf” to get a good fit and nice even rows.

I have tried to give the whole thing a slightly used look with some variation according to different seat popularity and what they may have been subjected to, drawing inspiration from some real photos. I’m not sure how trustworthy it really is, but I don’t really dare to mess with it too much either.

JSRM1699_125.jpg

JSRM1699_126.jpg

JSRM1699_127.jpg

JSRM1699_128.jpg

JSRM1699_129.jpg

JSRM1699_130.jpg

JSRM1699_131.jpg

JSRM1699_132.jpg

Hi Jorgen, I've followed your build thread with interst, I have to say your work ins amasing, congratulations.

I doubt we will see the kit down here in South Africa but next month we are going to the obsevatory at Sutherland in the Freestate, star gasing. Apparently there is what appars to be a Routmaster at the hotel where we will be staying. If so I'll take some pics as I'm sure it is unrestored/original condition.

Colin on the Africa Station

I have to admit that I have cheated with the chewing gum under the seats, there are none. But to compensate I did a few smudges stuck between floor boards. Hopefully the look convincing enough.

This is superb modelling work. Well done. Immaculate.

You must be representing a bus recently put into service, or re-furbished, because I vividly remember, in the mid 70s in London, most of these that were in use for a few months developed a horrible sticky tar residue on the upstairs ceiling from all the cigarettes consumed up there. It was quite gross and on some, it even began to form small stalactites!

David

This really is amazing work and brings back lots of great memories of time spent on these buses including the No. 14 route, however does Euston really have an extra e on the end?

Graham

This really is amazing work and brings back lots of great memories of time spent on these buses including the No. 14 route, however does Euston really have an extra e on the end?

Graham

Nevermind, I now see someone else mentioned it as well. I would also agree with David, the upstairs did have horrible tar stains on the ceiling, yellowy-blacky-browny stuff that made me sit downstairs, or better still stand on the stairwell.

Graham

No, there shouldn’t be an e there in the end of Euston, my mistake. Glad it was found out now and not at a later stage. Here are the new blinds I printed tonight.

JSRM1699_134.jpg

This is superb modelling work. Well done. Immaculate.

You must be representing a bus recently put into service, or re-furbished, because I vividly remember, in the mid 70s in London, most of these that were in use for a few months developed a horrible sticky tar residue on the upstairs ceiling from all the cigarettes consumed up there. It was quite gross and on some, it even began to form small stalactites!

David

Thanks a lot. Yes, you are right, this bus is relatively new. It left the factory new in september -63 and was taken into service on route 14 in november that year . I tend to think my model is perhaps summer -64 or a bit later, in quite good but used condition. Some areas of my weahtering may be a bit too much for that, but never mind. Although I should perhaps try and do something to that upper deck roof.

The staircase is now in place. It all fitted surprisingly well even after painting.

JSRM1699_135.jpg

Strange light in this picture that washes out all colour variations.

JSRM1699_136.jpg

The shelf in the cubby-hole looks a bit empty like this. Will have to fill that with something.

JSRM1699_137.jpg

Maybe this could fill the shelf when finished.

JSRM1699_138.jpg

What about a shopping bag for the shelf? May be Tesco's?

BTW, the Chrome is amazing.

Or a folded pushchair, wedged in, so that the mother struggles to get it out (with the baby under one arm) while everybody on the bus including the conductor just watches...

This is just superb work. I don't usually use other models for reference, preferring pictures of the real thing, but this is so good I'll most definitely be making an acception with this one, when I get my own Routemaster :)

I’m very happy, and even humbled if my build is an inspiration to you guys. Great to hear. It is a very inspiring build, certainly one of the most rewarding and interesting I’ve done the last few years.

More detail work on the interior have been done, and the top deck is now attached. The stage to fit the exterior body panels have arrived. I should have new pictures coming up soon.

Regarding the rear hubcaps, the base for them is a 3D-print. I wish it was that simple, but it isn’t. They require quite some work after the printing process. My plan though is to make some little improvements on the current 3D-model and then make new to form the base for a mould for resin copies for dedicated RM-builders. But I can’t give a specific time plan tonight.

ScalecCentral; you have PM.

Perhaps the responsible conductor would never leave his ticket machine and his badge unattended on the shelf like this, but anyway. I liked the detail and wanted it in the model. Maybe he or she is just outside?

JSRM1699_140.jpg

I have tried to add some more life to the interior with some added details. Tickets, news papers, cans, forgotten stuff…

JSRM1699_139.jpg

JSRM1699_141.jpg

JSRM1699_143.jpg

JSRM1699_144.jpg

JSRM1699_145.jpg

JSRM1699_146.jpg

Our driver has tucked away his copy of todays paper under his seat.

JSRM1699_142.jpg

More beautiful work, Jörgen.

Perhaps the responsible conductor would never leave his ticket machine and his badge unattended on the shelf like this, but anyway. I liked the detail and wanted it in the model. Maybe he or she is just outside?

Ticket machine! So that's what that thing is in the picture you posted on 10 April! I've been wondering... :shrug:

More beautiful work, Jörgen.

Ticket machine! So that's what that thing is in the picture you posted on 10 April! I've been wondering... :shrug:

Thanks. Yes indeed, a Gibson ticket machine. I think they were phased out in the early seventies or something like that.

And so the major assemblies start to go together. I always try to test fit a few stages ahead at this point to ensure that the coming parts will fit well and that necessary touch in painting is not missed.

With the lower roof installed I made sure that the left side wall will fit perfectly to the front and rear wall.

JSRM1699_147.jpg

JSRM1699_148.jpg

JSRM1699_149.jpg

JSRM1699_150.jpg

And the top deck in place. Suddenly the model grew conciderably.

JSRM1699_152.jpg

JSRM1699_151.jpg

JSRM1699_153.jpg

It looks quite terrible like this, naked with no bodywork. As I have test fitted everything all the time I know it will change though.

JSRM1699_154.jpg

Having watched an episode of "On the Buses" recently, could this kit be used for that era?

Of course we'd need some figures of Reg, Bob and most importantly Blakey! (and maybe some birds in their miniskirts for the true 70's sexism prespective)

This may well be on the 'required for fathers day if you love me, kids' list

Graeme