Routemaster RM1699 conversion

Selwyn, and others of course, I have another detail that bothers me. Maybe you can help? The lights in the staircase. Revell has moulded these two, that I can see in some real photos. But I also see another setup, differently placed with one light under the lower rear window and they are more square shaped with metal ribs over them. Is it known what was fitted when, and when changes started to happen?

JSRM1699_66.jpg

Jurgen

First RM delivered with Triangle badge was RM 1662 so yours is correct!

a bit of history for RM 1699

new: bus coded as 7/5RM5/7, Leyland O.600 engine

9/63 new to Aldenham

10/63 Cricklewood (garage code W) into service

11/63 To Holloway garage (code J) transfer for No14 service

64-6 J

4/67 J to Aldenham repaint, and back

5/67 to stockwell garage (Code SW) transfer for 2/2A

1968 SW

from last overhaul to Enfield Garage (E)

9/87 (E) withdrawn from service this date.

11/87 bought by Magicbus, Glasgow

5/89 sold to Watson (Chesterfield)

8/90 bought for preservation, Amersham

8/93 in maroon/cream, at Delaine running day

1/94 preserved, Sidcup,

4/98 Cobham98, for sale

5/98 changed owners, repainted

1998 actively preserved: North Weald98, Showbus98

6/08 active on Hertford,Stevenage & Hitchin Running Day (341)

6/09 active on Hertford Running Day

9/09 active at Loughton Running Day (179)

6/10 at Stevenage & Hertford Running Day

Still going!

Please note this bus has a Leyland engine Not a AEC (miss-labelled in the kit as a "Leyland") so the kit engine is incorrect.

Had a look for details of the stair lights can't find any information on this, but I took photo's of a preserved RML late last year and they had black surrounds.

Selwyn

Still going!

Please note this bus has a Leyland engine Not a AEC (miss-labelled in the kit as a "Leyland") so the kit engine is incorrect.

Had a look for details of the stair lights can't find any information on this, but I took photo's of a preserved RML late last year and they had black surrounds.

Selwyn

Ouch, you're right about the engine of course. That's a problem... I had learned early on that the kit engine is the AEC, but I totally missed the Leyland O.600 when I read the chassis history. It's the same for all in "my" little possible series of numbers. Too bad.

Either rebuild the engine into a Leyland, or glue the bonnet shut to make a curbside. The curbside idea has occured to me before due to the kits simplified engine room. I will have to look at some Leland O.600 pics to decide.

Thanks. I have now a few pictures of installed Leyland O.600 engines, and it should not be too difficult to create a reasonable Leyland engine. I will do that.

What I'm really missing is a photo taken much more from the top of the engine. It would help even more to see the cyliner head from above.

So something more thorough obviously had to be done to that engine. I took the assembled AEC and cut off everything that looked too wrong for a Leyland O.600. I reshaped the valve covers and drilled new ports in the heads. Then I started scratch building manifolds and adapting details to reasonably match what reference photos I have. Here is what I came up with. It’s very much a compromise, but hopefully it will look enough like the Leyland O.600 engine if the bonnet is lifted?

JSRM1699_67.jpg

JSRM1699_68.jpg

Here is rough mock up of how it will look installed.

JSRM1699_69.jpg

JSRM1699_70.jpg

I wonder about the drivers seat. How was that covered in vehicles delivered early to mid -60's? Was it a black leather like material, or the same fabric as the passenger seats? I thougt it would be black as that is what I see in most pictures, but I'm not sure. I would appreciate any help here.

The same goes for the colour inside the drivers cabin. All black, or the lower sections of the walls a dark burgundy red or brown?

I did some detailing for the wire running under lower deck roof. What is it for? “Stop at next stop please”? Some details from the PE-scrap box were used.

JSRM1699_71.jpg

I also formed the small lamp shield for the left front interior light bulb. I will have to glue it straight after painting and not as clumsy as I rigged it here…

JSRM1699_72.jpg

The paint work has started. All body panels are primed and will now have some rest before a final sanding. Here is the black base coat before Alclad chrome. This model takes up so much space to paint that I’m running out of clamps, and the usual places where I store painted parts for drying gets full at once…

JSRM1699_73.jpg

I did some detailing for the wire running under lower deck roof. What is it for? “Stop at next stop please”?

The wire was a fabric covered wire (dark green in colour originally if | remember) linked to a bell in the driver's cab. On pull stop at next stop, two pulls move off from stop, three pulls bus full do not stop until next one bell, more than 3 pulls emergency stop. Meant to be used by the conductor who also had electric buzzer and bell pushes on the platform. Upstairs there was just one bell push at the top of the stairs. Conductors were meant to go to the top of the stairs and use the mirror to re-start the bus at a stop if they were collecting fares upstairs at the time. Many didn't and would stamp the start or full codes on the floor!

The bell wire was an anachronism, even on the prototype, as most other operator's buses had bell pushes at intervals or electric bell push strips along both upper and lower deck roofs.

I always loved pulling the cord to get the bus to stop at a request stop. The stop next to my school was a request one so it was always a race with us kids who could pull it first once the bus pulled away from the previous stop!

I always loved pulling the cord to get the bus to stop at a request stop. The stop next to my school was a request one so it was always a race with us kids who could pull it first once the bus pulled away from the previous stop!

Though knowing kids I bet you all pulled it anyway even if somebody else had already done it!

Nice ^_^ . Memories from those who rode with these buses on regular basis back then makes a build more interesting.

I found out that the drivers seat should be black. But still wonering about the drivers cab interior walls lower sections, black like everything else, or brown/burgundy red? I see the coloured versions in some photos, but I'm guessing it might be from later overhauls?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm painting painting and painting... and I've done most new decals, actually all except the exterior adverts so far. What's left to paint is basically the brush painted details of the body panels, some more weathering on the floors and seats, after the sest decals are on, and the wheels. Hope to get some pics up tonight.

I still also have to decide if I should leave the body panels in their relatively "new-shine" glossy appearence and do some very light washing/weathering, or spray them with a more semi-gloss clear coat. Don't know. The bus I'm trying to build has only been in traffic for maybee a year or so, probably around -64 when I assume the daily and weekly care in the garages where much higher than perhaps 10 or 20 years later? I don't know if that was really the case, it's just my perception on how things have evolved around me... Any thoughts on this are most welcome.

So the current state of this project is more or less endless rows and bags of painted parts, more or less finished. Painting all parts before any definitive assembly starts has taken more space and time than I thought. Still I prefer this way when possible.

I finished all the seat decals tonight. Next they will have a matt clear coat over the decaled tissue areas, then some soft dark lines to separate the different cushions from each other and some light weathering to finish.

JSRM1699_74.jpg

I’m quite happy with my Leyland O.600 engine. Good we found that one out in time…

JSRM1699_75.jpg

I really look forward to applying detail decals to all interior parts and starting assembly.

JSRM1699_76.jpg

Body panels are painted with PPG 2K code FLT1123 that I had mixed up for this, found it on the RMOOF web site. Still considering if I should apply a semi gloss clear coat, or leave them as they are now, before some light weathering.

JSRM1699_77.jpg

JSRM1699_78.jpg

I think the brass mesh is quite OK in size.

JSRM1699_79.jpg

I have now done all decals I need except the exterior adverts. Or not completely, the art work for the block of interior ads I found on a Flickr group (I have the link somewhere if anyone wants it), so they are not mine, but the rest of the artwork are my own. The license plates will have a second go after period pictures rather than the restored. The destination blinds are measured as best I can, but we will see if I must adjust them some more once I start applying.

JSRM1699_83.jpg

Unfortunately I just can’t take a good picture of the white prints. There is a lot of stuff on that piece. It will show once it finds it way to various parts.

JSRM1699_84.jpg

I have now done all decals I need except the exterior adverts. Or not completely, the art work for the block of interior ads I found on a Flickr group (I have the link somewhere if anyone wants it), so they are not mine, but the rest of the artwork are my own. The license plates will have a second go after period pictures rather than the restored. The destination blinds are measured as best I can, but we will see if I must adjust them some more once I start applying.

JSRM1699_83.jpg

Unfortunately I just can’t take a good picture of the white prints. There is a lot of stuff on that piece. It will show once it finds it way to various parts.

JSRM1699_84.jpg

Hi Jörgen

If you have the link for the interior ads i would very much like it

Thank you

John