Routemaster RM1699 conversion

Here is how the model is right now. All bodywork installed and all seams taken care of. I’m very surprised how my RM1699 decals look in these photos. They are printed with gold foil and looks bright in real life, matching the other gold decals very well, not at all dull like these pictures show. Oh well. There are now only a few exterior details to fit, and many many windows. But first there are other things to address.

I really need to finish the exterior adverts. I had an idea which I wanted, and I have created all artwork except one that I can’t pin the colours on, a Cinzano advert on the rear panel. Maybe have to consider another one. Then I realised that the pair I had planned for the front probably are from 1962 and therefore too old for my model. Back to the drawing board… Also I’m wondering if my trusty old Alps MD5000 will be up to the task.

Then there is a lot of washing and light weathering to do. So lots of work remains.

About the bodywork, take your time and work slowly and carefully, test fit several stages ahead during the whole build and make fine adjustments if necessary. The parts do fit very well in my case, even after extensively cutting it up to make an RM. I felt it was good to really know exactly how every panel would be installed before it was time to do it “for real” so all the dry fitting early on probably paid of.

JSRM1699_156.jpg

JSRM1699_157.jpg

JSRM1699_158.jpg

JSRM1699_159.jpg

JSRM1699_160.jpg

JSRM1699_161.jpg

JSRM1699_162.jpg

JSRM1699_163.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jorgen

that is one truly outstanding build my friend,a bloddy work of art,I have two of these in my stash and thanks to you I know where to make the cuts to make an RM.

I look forward to seeing this beauty finished.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I have been researching and drawing various adverts for what seems like a small eternity now. And when I more or less gave up finding color photos of that Cinzano I wanted a friend of mine sat down searching for hours, finding exactly what was needed. I can never figure out why he finds things I never find by typing the same word in Google as I do, it’s always like that… Then I did simple paper test prints to see how it looked, finding out it didn’t satisfy, or that it was the wrong year after all…

JSRM1699_164.jpg

Finally we found everything and all the drawing fell in place and it gave me the look and feeling I wanted. Here the final choice is printed and have received a semi-matt clear coat. They may not be perfectly accurate but certainly close enough. Now I just have to apply them without messing things up. Sure I can make new ones, but now I want this part of the build finished. Can't wait to get them on.

JSRM1699_165.jpg

Hi Jörgen

Looking extremely good!

Judging from the pictures of your shelves I remember fondly your conversion work of GT 40's and the Lotus 98 some very many years ago on your own website - sadly defunct I guess?

Best regards

Flemming (Denmark)

Hi Jörgen

Looking extremely good!

Judging from the pictures of your shelves I remember fondly your conversion work of GT 40's and the Lotus 98 some very many years ago on your own website - sadly defunct I guess?

Best regards

Flemming (Denmark)

Hi Flemming,

Thanks.

No, it’s many years since I had my own site now. The thought has occurred to me that it would be a lot easier today with a modern blog space, but I have never come round to that.

Edited by Jörgen Stendahl

And all the adverts are on, at last. The total result came out better than I dared hope. I also put some weight into the tyres. It’s slowly getting there. All remaining windows are next, or maybe I will do some washing before.

JSRM1699_167.jpg

JSRM1699_168.jpg

JSRM1699_169.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all the praise and kind comments. I hope my build will be an inspiration to all who look at it.

It's been a little quiet lately as I have been a bit busy with the 1:1 scale cars and what not else. I also had to sit back and gather a bit of inspiration for the last steps. But now I think I have reached the point where I will call her finished.

My aim is to try catching the look of the bus after a day of hard work up and down the route, when the vehicle was say a year old or something like that. This one was put in service late -63, so this may be early summer -64 or -65. Will try to get some better pictures later, but here she is.

JSRM1699_170.jpg

JSRM1699_171.jpg

JSRM1699_172.jpg

JSRM1699_173.jpg

JSRM1699_174.jpg

JSRM1699_175.jpg

• Like 3

Agree with the comments already posted - this is one awesome build! The finish is superb - something to aspire to without a doubt. But I certainly have a way to go to achieve that yet! Congratulations on a seriously excellent build.

Paul

Jorgen

That is just the most amazing piece of work I have seen in ages. Makes me want to go out and start all over again, but this time with plenty more inspiration. I have weathered plenty of Hornby and Bachmann locomotives, so that bit should go ok with me...should i decide to weather my existing RM.

What are you going to do with her? Display case? give to London Transport Museum? It's a definite Museum piece in my book