Routemaster RM1699 conversion

I have slowly been working on my RM-conversion since new years days, having waited a long time for Revell to release this kit since it was first announced. I mostly build various race car models and I have no clear answer as to why the Routemaster caught my attention to this degree... but it has. Today I sat down, at last, and went through all the pictures I have taken so far. I had planned to start a thread here earlier, but here it is.

What I’m aiming at with this project is a reasonably accurate model of an RM in “original” configuration, before changes and updates started to happen. As I have made progress on the model and research I arrived at the numbers between RM1680-1702. A nice B/W-photo of RM1701 in it’s early days on route 14 further narrowed my choice. RM1699 was delivered at the same time and to the same route, September/October –63, and as RM1699 today has a good life in beautiful restored condition that became my choice. I’m looking at a model of RM1699 as it would have looked early on, say –64 maybe.

I have by now seen a few different ways to cut down Revell’s RML to the RM-length. I’m adding yet another way. Perhaps it is not the easiest and perhaps what I see as the benefits will not be that easy to spot after a quick look at the finished model. But I build my models certain ways to keep my own mind satisfied first and foremost.

A few of my concerns have been to get the right distance between each seat as the seat rows are shortened. This required some thought as the cut to RM-length dictated by the body panels is 27 mm while the seat distances are about 29,6 mm, which would have been the more correct 1/24:th scale cut. As luck would have it I got good help from this forum with an original seat plan drawing showing the solution I could use.

Another problem I saw was the RML right side emergency exit window, not present on the RM. Also the placing of the fuel filler cap vs. the fuel tank was another concern I had. Apart from sorting out these things I wanted to make as little damage as possible to all the moulded in surface detail.

I was not very happy with the kits detailing in the front when it comes to grille mesh, radiator and front suspension. I tend to build my models as much if not more according to reference pictures as the kit instructions. With the distinct look of the Routemaster seen from the front, showing its radiator, lower suspension arms and so on, I wanted to try and improve a bit in this area.

My references apart from the mentioned drawing is mainly a lot of picture surfing on the web, detail pictures of RM1699 from the ROOF website and then Haynes Routemaster bo,ok which I found to be an interesting read.

I decided to modify all the parts for an RM-conversion first, and then sort of “dry build” the whole kit before painting anything, to hopefully sort out all, or at least the most offending, problems.

If you don’t fancy a lot of “booring” pics of cutting down RM-parts, then just scroll down and other progress will be shown. :)

Edited by Jörgen Stendahl

Work started with the obvious body side panels. I placed my cuts according to my preference of fixing easy to deal with flat surfaces.

JSRM1699_6.jpg

JSRM1699_7.jpg

Placing the cuts on the left side is very much up to what kind of clean up work you prefer.

JSRM1699_1.jpg

When it came to the right side I had that RML emergency exit window to deal with, bottom second from front. It has a different frame from the others and the RM has a fixed standard window in its place.

JSRM1699_2.jpg

As I placed my cut I got the new rear end of the opening for free.

JSRM1699_3.jpg

This part was saved to provide material for the new window frame.

JSRM1699_4.jpg

JSRM1699_5.jpg

Here the new front end of the frame comes in.

JSRM1699_8.jpg

JSRM1699_9.jpg

JSRM1699_10.jpg

I just had to tape the main body parts together to get a first impression of the model. I had the body like this for several days and just couldn’t see enough. Already at this stage the fit of the parts was better than I had dared to hope.

JSRM1699_11.jpg

JSRM1699_12.jpg

Then I used other left over section to rebuild the rest of the window frame.

JSRM1699_13.jpg

Working slowly and with careful measuring and cutting gave me quite well finished parts with an easy clean up.

• Like 1

Attention then turned to the roof. At this early stage I wasn’t sure if it was very clever to prepare the roof section already, but I decided to take a chance as it would still be possible to adjust and correct it later on if necessary. I will glue it in place as I’m not interested in the lift off option the kit provides.

JSRM1699_14.jpg

JSRM1699_15.jpg

I cut the lower interior roof at the same time. 27 mm gone.

JSRM1699_16.jpg

JSRM1699_17.jpg

JSRM1699_18.jpg

Then came the floors. To keep the same distance between all seats on the bottom deck I cut out the last row. The fuel filler location will still match the body panel.

JSRM1699_19.jpg

JSRM1699_20.jpg

When it came to the top deck my cut became a little more complicated. I did it this way to keep the same distance between all double seat rows. The last two seats on the right side should have a longer distance, and this way I would get that and damage the detail as little as possible I thought.

JSRM1699_21.jpg

JSRM1699_22.jpg

Cuts needs to adjusted for the body sides locating tabs.

JSRM1699_23.jpg

After cleaning up. There still remains some new scribings of floor ribs to be made on the top deck.

JSRM1699_24.jpg

As far as I understand it the heater outlets along the sides is a later update, and so should not be on RM1699 this early. I have thought much about this, but have decided not to do anything about it is as the model has shown to go toghether very well as it is.

From the start I knew I had to open up the grille and make a better radiator and front frame detail, at least what’s to be seen from up front. I cut off the front part of the kit frame and wheel tubs. New frame sections were scratch built. The ides is to detail paint what is to be seen, and what is not to be seen further back just to be painted black to sort of disappear. As I started to measure and fit everything I had to move the fans location on the engine to better match the radiators location.

JSRM1699_35.jpg

The inside fender wall was cut down and further narrowed.

JSRM1699_36.jpg

The engines air intake was also cut down and modified.

JSRM1699_37.jpg

The lower suspension arms are very visible and I just had to come up with an improvement. When painted and suitably washed I hope this will be good enough when seen from up front.

JSRM1699_38.jpg

JSRM1699_39.jpg

A new radiator was scratch built using photo etched core mesh. Again I’m mostly concerned about how it will look through the new grille mesh.

JSRM1699_40.jpg

If the notes in the Haynes book are correct RM1699 would have had the rear arm rest on the top deck that was later deleted. Some scratch work fixed that. I also did some floor board scribing according to references I found probably suitable. I’m not sure RM1699 looked exactly like this, but it will do.

JSRM1699_41.jpg

The top deck front bulkhead had a little detail added.

JSRM1699_42.jpg

When working on the rear seat I found that the walls towards the staircase would need to be a little higher and the handle bars modified.

JSRM1699_43.jpg

JSRM1699_44.jpg

While I was at it I also cleaned up the roof section just above the staircase. Hardly visible when the model is assembled, but anyway.

JSRM1699_45.jpg

Edited by Jörgen Stendahl

As I wanted to build the early original configuration I had to fully open up the heater grille above the drivers cabin. That means scratching new grille vanes and the creating something like the heater core inside. Careful test fitting of everything is essential to ensure all parts still go together as intended. At this point they still seem to do so. To some extent to my surprise…

JSRM1699_46.jpg

JSRM1699_47.jpg

JSRM1699_48.jpg

I did some small things inside the drivers cabin, like the emergency exit handle, and then I thought I wanted to improve the outside handle that is placed in a recess in the roof panel.

JSRM1699_49.jpg

JSRM1699_50.jpg

A little deatil added to the panels around the route number box above the bonnet. I also made a thin plasticard insert for the route numder decal.

JSRM1699_51.jpg

RM1699 would have been delivered with the right rear side route number window (at least according to the photo of RM1701), but very soon it would only had displayed a black blind inside, when they were taken out of use. This is how I will make the model.

JSRM1699_52.jpg

Here is something of what I hope to achieve with the front end detail, the radiator clearly visible behind the grille and the lower suspension arm detail seen. The front have been modified to the earlier style with open grilles for the brakes but the later V-shaped grille badge as in the kit. Here is a test with a photo etched grille mesh that I first intended to use.

JSRM1699_53.jpg

JSRM1699_54.jpg

All main components test fitted. I’m still surprised how well everything fits, even after all my cutting and modifications.

JSRM1699_55.jpg

JSRM1699_56.jpg

JSRM1699_57.jpg

JSRM1699_58.jpg

I think I have decided to use these two photo etched brass mesh from Aber.

JSRM1699_59.jpg

Some small details that are missing in the moulds can be improved like the front right corner. I have also made the smal flap for the drivers cabin air intake to be fitted slightly open.

JSRM1699_60.jpg

Mirrors of the old style have just been finished, more or less from scratch. I forgot to take photo so far. I still have the rear wheel hub caps to do. This is what I have to come up with.

JSRM1699_61.jpg

With that I should have all parts ready to start painting. That will the next big step. Then I have a lot of new decals to do. Of course the advertising and route blinds, but also many small text signs for this and that.

I wouldn’t expect very rapid progress as it has taken almost two months so far, but it will get there somehow. :)

Unbelievable!!! That front end is what I had in mind for mine - I just didn't have the guts to cut it about - or know where to start. Where did you get the diesel injectors on top of the engine? I scratched some out of odd bits of sprue, but yours look very nice. Lovely work!

I also found a little problem I’d like to share. See the small gap here in the corner? I have noticed this in a few built models.

JSRM1699_64.jpg

When I disassembled my taped construction I added a little thin piece of plastic to the wall. It still fits to the side panel as it should and the gap is gone.

JSRM1699_65.jpg

Unbelievable!!! That front end is what I had in mind for mine - I just didn't have the guts to cut it about - or know where to start. Where did you get the diesel injectors on top of the engine? I scratched some out of odd bits of sprue, but yours look very nice. Lovely work!

Thanks a lot! I did spend some time planning before cutting off the kits front frame sections. But the important thing is to build the new parts while test fitting and measuring everything again and again, as it is a very tight fit for a radiator there.

The injectors are cut from the useless plumbing parts out of AM's McLaren M8b kits that I had in one of my scrap boxes. Good eternal source of useful bits...

Great, Watching this with great interest. Can't wait to get one and get started!

Just a couple of comments

The Really early RMs did not have the triangular badge in the radiator but had a bulls eye badge on the bonnet. They were retrofitted with the the "triangle" badge later in their service.

The " Visable Radiator" was largely a feature of the Cummins re engined RMs from the 1990s. Early radiators and surrounds were black and not really visible through the grille.

Selwyn

Just a couple of comments

The Really early RMs did not have the triangular badge in the radiator but had a bulls eye badge on the bonnet. They were retrofitted with the the "triangle" badge later in their service.

The " Visable Radiator" was largely a feature of the Cummins re engined RMs from the 1990s. Early radiators and surrounds were black and not really visible through the grille.

Selwyn

But RM1699 should still have the triangular badge, right? According to the Haynes book the grille with triangular badge was installed from factory on RM1665 and then from RM1680 onwards. Is that not correct? That was one reason for choosing this example as I wanted to keep the triangular badge.

The early (I would guess -64-65 maybee) photo I have (from the web) of RM1701 shows the triangular badge, right rear side route number box, open brake grilles and full size heater grille. Of course the triangular badge grille may already have been retrofitted? Here it is http://www.flickr.com/photos/megaanorak/5168487456/

The visible radiator is something I see in many old B/W-photos, but I'm not sure about the colour. They may be black but turned greysih from dust etc? It's seen in the photo above as I mean it. Or as seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/megaanorak/5199814996/ It's not like it's standing out i bright silver.

But RM1699 should still have the triangular badge, right? According to the Haynes book the grille with triangular badge was installed from factory on RM1665 and then from RM1680 onwards. Is that not correct? That was one reason for choosing this example as I wanted to keep the triangular badge.

The early (I would guess -64-65 maybee) photo I have (from the web) of RM1701 shows the triangular badge, right rear side route number box, open brake grilles and full size heater grille. Of course the triangular badge grille may already have been retrofitted? Here it is http://www.flickr.com/photos/megaanorak/5168487456/

The visible radiator is something I see in many old B/W-photos, but I'm not sure about the colour. They may be black but turned greysih from dust etc? It's seen in the photo above as I mean it. Or as seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/megaanorak/5199814996/ It's not like it's standing out i bright silver.

Without checking the changeover to triangular badge point I can't comment, My point was an "early" RM would not have it. The radiators and surrounds were painted silver when the cummins engines were installed and were far more prominent and obvious through the grille than on the AEC/ Leyland installations. The offside route box was first taken out of use and then removed on first overhaul, and accoording to your timescales would be right being depicted blacked out.

Selwyn

Without checking the changeover to triangular badge point I can't comment, My point was an "early" RM would not have it. The radiators and surrounds were painted silver when the cummins engines were installed and were far more prominent and obvious through the grille than on the AEC/ Leyland installations. The offside route box was first taken out of use and then removed on first overhaul, and accoording to your timescales would be right being depicted blacked out.

Selwyn

I see, "early" is of course quite relative, and 1963-64 and something like RM1699 would not be "that" early, even if it's before many later alterations and retrofits started to happen. I changed the headliner as it may have been a bit misleading.

Selwyn, and others of course, I have another detail that bothers me. Maybe you can help? The lights in the staircase. Revell has moulded these two, that I can see in some real photos. But I also see another setup, differently placed with one light under the lower rear window and they are more square shaped with metal ribs over them. Is it known what was fitted when, and when changes started to happen?

JSRM1699_66.jpg