1:48 F-14A+ VF-74 'Bedevilers' Hasegawa

Back in with todays work...

After priming I decided to do some pre-shading. Never done this before, so jumping in the deep end I loaded up some Humbrol 33 Matt Black and sprayed! Some of the lines are ridiculously errant, but I think it'll aid the patchy look typical of sea-going Tomcats later on. I also pre-primer pre-shaded some panel lines and indeed whole panels in white while I was spraying the Sparrows and Phoenix missiles.

Pre-shading

DSC00752.JPG

Er, couldn't resist an inflight shot! :rolleyes:

DSC00753.JPG

Weapons. Painted the tips white.

The Phoenix on the left was gifted to me by a fellow BM'er, but the nose is just wrong unfortunately. So, grabbed two out the HobbyBoss F-14B kit (Phoenix on right), better looking Phoenix, however neither really match the Hasegawa pallet profile (apparently the Hasegawa Phoenix don't either :mental: ).

In the rear of the shot are some Hasegawa AIM-7's that needed and received rhinoplasty to rectify their rounded noses.

The GE-110 has had its silver band painted on (inbetween the black of the carbon fibre shroud and the exhaust petals)

DSC00756.JPG

Thank God for that!

Thanks for explaining to the Admiral who in turn granted extended 'shore leave' to allow us to try get these beasts finished Cap'n.

Now, dry paint, dry!

actually it was my second in command who did it.....but I take the credit coz I'm in charge.

(I think gypsy wants his own ship....dont blame him....getting high on power is addictive :) )

(I think gypsy wants his own ship....dont blame him....getting high on power is addictive :) )

For the next posting I'll do a squadron exchange with the air force, commanding an F-104 Squadron... starting sometime this summer !

As soon as that is over, I'll have my own ship !!! :lol:

Well thanks Kev1n and Giorgio then!

Cheers DannyB, that pre-shading is the nuts! I've never tried it before, but the result is, well, see for yourself!

First coat of FS 36375 Light Ghost Grey is on! Effect of pre-shading is superb. Doesn't matter if you've massively oversprayed or sprayed wonky, you can 'adjust' the effect by spraying over numerous coats. Well Chuffed with this!

DSC00757.JPG

DSC00761.JPG

DSC00762.JPG

Might need another coat to minimise the pre-shading in a few areas.

Wish I'd known about pre-shading before!

That has made a cracking difference, nice one!

I want to try it myself pretty soon but really need to sort out an airbrush soon. I've got a revell can driven one that I'm using to get a good consistent coat of future with but when I tried it with paint the first time around it just didn't really work and the airbrush that comes with it doesn't really do precision :lol:

Dunno why you were giving up, looks like you were nearly there anyway ;)

Cheers DannyB,

A compressor is a boon, really is. I used to use tinned ages ago, but found it really frustrating and went back to brushes. Bought my setup (airbrush and compressor) for £100. Shock, horror, no-name, should-be-tonk, but it does what I need it to!

I thought there was a lot more to do really... Was concerned I may make a pigs ear out of it!

Going to go to a hardware store tomoz to source an oak base and a brass rod for mounting.

More painting done!

Lighting is a bit weird this afternoon, so apologies in advance.

The FS 35237 (Humbrol 145) topsides at the moment have very little difference to the FS 36231 (Humbrol 140) cockpit/nose sides and the tails. I'm going to do another coat of 145 to darken the top and a coat of 127 on the undersides to 'clean' up a bit. Also need another coat on the fuel tanks and weapons.

Pilot/RIO nearing completion too.

Nose showing the delineation (free-hand spraying)

DSC00777.JPG

Tomcat in the bed... Don't tell my wife!

DSC00779.JPG

Hopefully

Tomcat in the bed... Don't tell my wife!

you like sleeping with pussies?....your secret is safe with me.....

Well, things are coming along well now.

Got the crew painted, they just need their shoulder patches and helmet decals on (thanks Fightertown, amazing attention to detail).

That's the pilot, Cdr Chuck Wyatt on the left and his RIO LCdr Tim Zimmerman on the right . They had to lose their feet to fly this Tomcat!

DSC00781.JPG

Their seats (also need a few decals placing on)

DSC00785.JPG

The mirrors from the Hasegawa PE fret were a pain in the @se. Checking my references, there are only two mirrors for the pilot anyway, either side of a central handle on the canopy. So, with a bit of initiative, I chopped up the pilots' mirror set into three smaller pieces, easy to handle and glue with Klear into place.

DSC00783.JPG

Getting there now...

Couldn't resist trying at how it will look once done.

DSC00788.JPG

The nose with the subtle difference between the greys

DSC00790.JPG

ECM antennae painted Humbrol 83 Ochre to replicate the off-yellow

DSC00791.JPG

Fuel dump pipe drilled out

DSC00792.JPG

Detail of the 'turtle back'. I hand painted the vents 56 Aluminium

DSC00794.JPG