1:48 F-14A+ VF-74 'Bedevilers' Hasegawa

The updates keep on coming...

Let me know when you're all bored! I've never done anything with this much detail before so I want to share it!

Crew are now complete and installed along with their GRU-7A seats in the cockpit. The Tomcat badges and helmet unit flashes are really quite something. A little fiddly, but it really adds to the effect. Thank you Fightertown!

Pilot Chuck Wyatt with his 'Devil' , lightning flash and 'Anytime Baby' Tomcat patch.

DSC00800.JPG

RIO Tim Zimmerman with his VF-74 patch and '74' on the right side of his helmet. Really neat little touches by Fightertown decals.

DSC00799.JPG

In the cockpit. The white mark on the pilot's seat is excess varnish, quickly painted over with flat black (after I saw this pic)

DSC00803.JPG

Let me know when you're all bored! I've never done anything with this much detail before so I want to share it!

How could we get bored ? It's great to see builds in such detail ! Lovely job on the crew. Having them to lose their feet might not be the best recruitment ad though! :lol:

4 1/2 hours later....

Decals are on! Looks great apart from the fact that Humbrol 140 is probably not the best match for FS 36231, a bit dark, so the decals on the front fuselage don't show up too well. However, there are some planes where the warning signs etc on the forward fuselage are near enough invisible... So I'm happy!

Seriously impressed with Microsol/ Microset, how the hell I got anything done before using them I'll never know.

Now a definite convert to A/M decals too, Fightertown decals behaved soooo much better than the kit offerings I'm used to, really can't say enough about them. Perfect register and all the other stuff people say when reviewing decals.

Pics in the morning.

P.S. How long should one leave the decals (once they've been soaked in Microsol/set) before overcoating?

Edited by Parabat

Well,

Flip me, been looking for 'my' plane for ages and here she is... Exactly the scheme I've done!Devil 102

Meh, my build doesn't quite match her... Cest la vie.

Edited by Parabat

P.S. How long should one leave the decals (once they've been soaked in Microsol/set) before overcoating?

I usually leave about 24 Hrs before doing anything after applying decals using Microsol/set.

Pictures...

The Microset/sol works very well, I'm very happy with the results, could probably do it better, but isn't that always the case?!

The impressive tail of 'Devil 02'

DSC00819.JPG

Forward fuselage decals are very 'low-vis'!

DSC00820.JPG

The weapons. Debating whether or not to paint the AIM-7 fins a darker grey.

DSC00822.JPG

Looks good mate. The fins of the AIM-7's are darker, you'll see plenty of images of them in the daco book. I normally go for either Tamiya Nato Black or a German Grey with a bit of weathering on top

Weathering done, all the bits done, sensors in place (Master brass pitot is sublime!), just waiting for some touchups to dry and then it'll be on with the satin coat and assembly!

Still need to sort out the base and mount however. Going to do a light coloured wood base with the VF-74 patches on it, with a brass rod supporting the F-14A+.

Pics later!

Thanks for comments fellas, much appreciated. Really enjoyed this build and I'm over the moon with how it's ended up. Thanks for looking and Thanks for comments along the way.