1/32 - Phantom FGR.2 conversion set in development by Wintervalley

Homebee

Wintervalley http://www.wintervalley.com/

Source: http://www.wintervalley.com/models/fgr2/fgr2.htm

McDonnell Douglas F-4M / FGR.2

1:32 Scale Tamyia F-4J Conversion Kit.

This conversion set, in conjunction with the Tamyia 1:32 Scale F-4J Kit, is designed to allow the modeller to build a British FGR.2 Phantom as used by the RAF. The conversion includes drop in replacement upper and lower fuselage and wings, seamless intakes, Spey burner cans, fin caps, fin winglets, and aux engine intake parts.

FAQ

Is this a re-release of the conversion set that existed previously?

No. This is a new conversion set with new masters. It is not a "re-pop" of the previous kit. That said, both conversion sets originate from roughly the same source. Frank Mitchell's Excellent FGR.2. His Conversion Guide and his gracious help was used extensively to create the new masters and ensure accuracy for this set.

When will this be released?

No date yet. The masters are still being created and creating molds will be an expensive undertaking. I fund these projects from the revenue generated by the decals and resin parts I already sell. Which means I could have the masters finished before I can pay for creating molds this large. So if you want this to happen faster, buy more of my current stuff smile.png

What will the cost be?

No price yet as that is dependent on the final cost of making the molds. That said, it will be less expensive than the conversion set that existed a few years ago.

Do you take pre-orders?

No. No money changes hands until I have stock to sell. It's true that pre-orders provide needed capital for supplies, but I'd still not be able to guarantee a delivery date and would rather not be responsible for peoples money until there's something to put in the mail.

How many are you making?

The current plan is to limit the run to 100 units for sale plus half a dozen or so for reviewers and as gifts to those that have provided significant help in the process. Once those 100 are sold I'll revaluate to see if another run makes sense (and if the molds are up to it).

Will the kit includes decals, seats, and other goodies?

Decals for at least one or two airframes will be included. Other goodies are not likely as they only add to the cost of the kit. The seats used in the FGR.2 are available in this scale from other sources so it's possible to simply buy those if you wish to use them. There will be no cockpit.

Will this kit work with the 1:32 Revell F-4J?

I have no idea. I've never seen the Revell J kit. If you'd like to donate one, please contact me smile.png

Are the intakes seamless?

Yes. They're single part intakes designed to fit over the kit ramps.

Will there be Photo Etched parts?

Unlikely. I have no access to a PE supplier and adding these sorts of parts may just add to the cost.

Could this project be cancelled?

Yes. This is something I do out of my personal workshop on my personal time, so is subject to lifes events. It's another reason I don't take pre-orders.

What is the state of the project now?

As of this writing (January 2012), the seamless intake parts are completed. The rear area of the upper and lower fuselage have been widened to Spey specifications, and aux intake holes cut into the side of the fuselage. Yet to do are the masters for the burner cans, aux intakes doors and interior, and fin caps. Cleaned up and rescribing is an ongoing process.

What if Company X releases a full retail kit?

Well then I'll just build my masters into a single model and enjoy that for what it is.

Do you need any help?

Yes! I would appreciate any reference materials anyone wishes to share with me. Also, due to the size of some of the parts involved, it is likely that some of the parts will need to be outsourced for mold making and casting. If you're an experienced resin caster with access to a pressure pot at least 12" deep, please contact me with your cost estimates.

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

Good news, however the price will as ever be the sticky point. With the last attempt by Cutting Edge selling at £450+ and having seen one in the flesh and never, ever seen one built up from it it will be surprising if this costs less than the donor kit.

Greg , the RRP for the CE set was arond the £220 mark , I know , I paid for one , but since the company folded the day after I ordered it , I had to get my money back from the card company , and say what you like about the overall quality of the kit, it was comprehensive

On E-bay the set was originally going for the £450 figure, however the last time one showed up , it went for £1500+

So there is a real pent up demand from people like myself who specalise 1/32 for a decent Brit Phantom

For the money (Cutting Edge) I decided I'd rather use plastic sheet and filler - it's all doable - but I'm interested to see what these guys come up with.

Derek B over at Eclipse Models was also looking at doing a conversion.

Either way - just a set of jetpipes/can (and decent decals) would make my day - rest doesn't look too difficult.

Iain

Hello there.

I'm David Winter, owner and operator of Wintervalley. I'd like to thank Homebee for the posting of this information and just wanted to pop in, introduce myself, and let everyone know that if they have any questions they're free to email me or post them here and I'll try to answer what I can.

Thanks

David

Greg , the RRP for the CE set was arond the £220 mark , I know , I paid for one , but since the company folded the day after I ordered it , I had to get my money back from the card company , and say what you like about the overall quality of the kit, it was comprehensive

On E-bay the set was originally going for the £450 figure, however the last time one showed up , it went for £1500+

So there is a real pent up demand from people like myself who specalise 1/32 for a decent Brit Phantom

I know, I wanted one but when the order process was opened I was in Afghanistan and missed the window (probably luckily after all the drama that unfolded). Within hours of people getting the kits, they were on ebay. I've seen it and don't doubt its quality and comprehensiveness, however, because the cost was so high it either got kept for a rainy day as an investment by collectors or those who really wanted to build it are cautious about cracking on with something that could be worth £1500+. Catch 22 isnt it?

Hopefully this one will be a more conservative price, but large long castings are not easy, nor cheap. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for either Tamiya to come to the rescue as 75% of their kit can still be used and on that I'm still very surprised they have never popped out a flat wing F-4B/N or slatted F-4S or F-4E in the interim as they would be even easier changes. We can but hope, maybe even Trumpeter or Eduard for a first large scale jet (now that would be something!). However you never know, sods law always proves that someone spends months converting something, a manufacturer announces a from the box job within days of them finishing!

However in the interim, I'm up for a conversion set!

However you never know, sods law always proves that someone spends months converting something, a manufacturer announces a from the box job within days of them finishing!

However in the interim, I'm up for a conversion set!

From my FAQ;

What if Company X releases a full retail kit?

Well then I'll just build my masters into a single model and enjoy that for what it is.

This is something I almost expect. It just seems very strange to me that there are no practical options for this variant of the F-4. And by practical I mean an in production injection molded kit. You can still find the 1:48 hasagawa kit here and there, but they're pretty pricey.

thanks

David

The whole aftermarket/conversion market for the Tamiya F-4's is pretty weak, limited decals, and those conversions that were available were mostly from Cutting Edge, long gone ... Sniff.....

CE did make the effort to produce intakes, weapons , and their excellent B/N conversions , along with slatted wing upgrades fror the E/S - Isracast have only just produced Slatted wing set , and no sign of any repalcement for the B.. pity as is really was an excellent set

PE , and Resins sets are available , but if you want a late model E based on the Tamiya kit, its going to cost you!

And its this perceived unpopularity of 32nd kits that seems to ensure that we'll never see the range of versions that 48th scale modelers take for granted,

afetr all "how many 32nd F-4are you ever going to build", well in my case 10, with 2 on the pending pile.. and I'm far from unique!

• 8 months later...

:yahoo: Very Excited about this as been looking for a centre piece for when I finally settle down and this is going to be it. A good old 74 Sqn scheme, the one with the big badge on the tail from memories of when I was youger.

Ashley :pilot:

:wow:

Very tempting. Cost will of course be the deciding factor - especialy considering the price of the Tamiya kits!! Still, might just throw caution to the wind!! This is likely to be the only way of producing a Spey phantom in this scale.

The earlier point about the Hasegawa Spey Phantoms is very valid - I personally refuse to pay the sometimes silly prices being asked. However, having said that, you can still get the Revell boxing of these kits at reasonable prices. I paid no more than £18 - £20 for the two I've got. I personally do not see any manufacturer investing in re tooling for a 1/32 kit of a Phantom version that was only used by the UK.

Of course, Sod's law of modelling.................................!!!!!

Will be watching this space with much interest!

Allan

• 2 years later...

Three years on, I'd say it was dead.

Derek Bradshaw of EMD may be doing a conversion for the Tamiya F-4J this or next year.

I'm still waiting to do a 892 NAS FG.1 from the Ark, but suspect it may not happen in my lifetime.

Enough new stuff coming out over the next few years to keep me happy.

Tony