1/72 Hawker Hunter T8M

Hello all

Starting with what seems the norm, photos of kit and conversion

Using the Revell FGA9 kit and Odds and Ordanance conversion, which I got at Telford

DSCF6995.jpg

DSCF6999.jpg

Conversion includes nose cone for Blue Vixen Radar, was this ever fitted to any T8M?

good for a conversion of an ESCI/Italeri Sea Harrier then.

DSCF6998.jpg

Instructions are generic, and refer to their T7 conversion, so i'm on my own, not that it that hard to work out, just a little care

DSCF7004.jpg

DSCF7007.jpg

On the underneath there is a circular bump, anyone know what this is, although I have a heap of photos of the one at Yeoviltin, I didn't note that at all

Edited by Graeme H

On the underneath there is a circular bump, anyone know what this is, although I have a heap of photos of the one at Yeoviltin, I didn't note that at all

I've never noticed that bump either Graeme, hopefully someone will straighten this out.

Looking forward to seeing this build progress as I looked at this set on their website and was very tempted.

A little more work, a lot more frustration

Firstly cut off the nose

DSCF7009.jpg

that was the easy part

This conversion has you cut a small bit out of the the spine for the the much broader 2 seater fairing

DSCF7011.jpg

Tailpipe and fairing now glued on, note that the resin fairing doesn't seem to blend in very well, in fact it goes up straight away, not giving the smooth transition seen on the real thing

DSCF7012.jpg

OK nose on, there are some serious hit and miss bits here, the port side seemed fine the Starboard not so, with a big gap to fill, just near the small moulded on intakes, I had not realised until now when posting photos, that it has a geat lump on top, NFI what that is about, but will come off during next session

DSCF7015.jpg

I haven't got a photo of it, but the fit on the bottom was way off, the resin nose being nearly 1mm smaller, and it will need doing all the way to the rear of the nose gear bay

spent a hours trying to fair in the resin fairing to the resin nose, there was a lot of shape issues here, and very hard to do with those little intakes being so close.

My guess this conversion has been made in a silicone mould, and has distorted slightly, no biggie, but lucky the Cricket was on (Australia V Sri Lanka One day, we lost)

Hi,

The 'circular bump' shouldn't be there. The flattened out area is correct and housed the doppler panel - similar to that found on Sea Harrier FRS.1's and pre-GPS modded FA.2's - Panel consisting of two yellowish / fibre glass coloured rectangles. The T.8M at Yeovilton has had the doppler panel removed :

DSCF0963.jpg

DSCF1003.jpg

regards

Andrew

Edited by TEZ

The 'circular bump' shouldn't be there.

Could they have had the bump earlier in their career I wonder? It seems like such a strange thing to randomly add to the moulding! What scheme are you doing this in Graeme? I've nearly finished one of these in XDSG/ White. I have a nagging feeling the radome is slightly too short on the O&O moulding although the first thing I did on getting it was drop it nose first on the floor which didn't help!

Pat

• 2 months later...

OK, getting back into this one to get finished by Sunday night is it?

Didn't take any interior photos, mainly due to the fact it is a one piece mould with the instrument panel incorporated, so more than just a little difficult to paint.

Put a bit of work into the Ejector seats, and used blue seat belts, but photos show they were mostly a tan colour, oh well

DSCF7079.jpg

I had originally painted it with Humbrol 123 in the above photo, but decided to paint it With Xtracrylix XA1005 EDSG, it was a difficult paint to airbrush, and is kind of a bit too blue to me

DSCF7081.jpg

Need to get onto doing the other bits now if I want to have any chance of finishing

Edited by Graeme H

Well despite my pathetic attempts to get this finished I failed

To try and speed things up, I decided to go for the all over EDSG scheme, and when I went and looked at my photos to see if the inside of the flaps and the wing are grey (they are), i found this photo, so have to make some sort of attempt at putting it on I guess.

DSCF4716.jpg

Now there doesn't seem to be alot of difference between the shot below and above, but believe me a lot of filling sanding and repainting went into it.

DSCF7090.jpg

Edited by Graeme H