BWIA West Indies Project

evinX

Overly happy with this, couldnt want more from some shaped plastic! waited a long time for this to happen and here it all is, was all great fun! any help needed on loweing slats and flats....im happy to help out

enjoy, Kev!

Flapped L1011 - N3140D, SUNJET ST.LUCIA, used to fly mainly to LHR before being retired at marana arizona. I flew this machine many times as a child to Trinidad and tobago.

100_1831.jpg

100_1833.jpg

100_1836.jpg

100_1839.jpg

L1011 9Y-TGJ, SUNJET TRINIDAD, used mainly to fly to Trinidad but would have done a few flights in its time to the USA and Canada as N3140D did also. Flew this many many times as a child and have a picture of me at the gate and the sunjet trinidad logo in the back :D Not sure but one BWIA L1011 is now sat at a museum in Trinidad with one wing missing, and could be this one. Ill be paying her a visit on my next trip very soon :)

100_1841.jpg

MD-83 9Y-THQ AND DASH 8 9Y-WIN, md83 was a regular at miami while the dash 8 flew the islands of the caribbean, a regular at tobago which was then re branded under caribbean airlines and i believe she is still flying, the md-83 was sold to AA if i remember correctly and could still be up there also...

100_1842.jpg

707-320 9Y-TEZ, used to fly the LHR route then being replaced by the L1011's, never saw this as it was before my time, but some family members have...ah well! :D

100_1844.jpg

737-700 9Y-TJI, never saw this nor flew it, all i know is that BWIA had her from new for around a year then it went to southwest and still flys

100_1846.jpg

727-100 9Y-TCP, Found a picture of this when i was small and was well into drawing the l1011s at that time and loved it, not much info on this and have only about 3 pics of it i found over the years in the carnival livery, BWIA traded some of these with BOAC for some 707's

100_1851.jpg

9Y-BWA, as with the 737-700 bwia had 2 of these from new and flew for about a year to miami, its said they used to have to pay to many fees to land these due to the wight or something

100_1853.jpg

thanks all, Kevin :)

Edited by evinX
  • Like 1

They look spot on!!!!!

Are you ever going to do BWIAs 737-800?

That would have been in the green scheme, probably not for a long time mate, waiting on v1 decals to do caribbean airlines fleet, but not even buying anything for that yet apart from the decals

all it needs now is a nice sharp clear pic of all of them and a museum to put them in :)

nice work

• 6 years later...

Hi everyone, its been a long time! Back for another round, i still have my BWIA collection proudly displayed along with a 2nd shelf displaying the last livery of BWIA. I had built their A340s, L1011 & 737 as i found the decals! all i needed was the MD-83 & Dash 8 to complete the set, and i knew one day someone would do them. And behold...Eastern Express pulled through! here to finally finish my build i started back in 2012...please see my completed BWIA West Indies models and the 2 to come! glad to be back making some models again!!

Untitled.png

1/144 BWIA A340 9Y-TJN

tjn.jpg

1/144 BWIA Hybrid livery A340 9Y-JIL

jjil.jpg

1/144 BWIA L1011 9Y-THA

boss.jpg

1/144 BWIA 737 9Y-ANU

73.jpg

And the last 2, the MD83 & Dash 8

3043959888-e8e6f47748-b.jpg

9y-wil-bwee-express-de-havilland-canada-

It was an absolute joy being able to build the whole collection of the old livery back in 2012. Since then the new livery decals popped up so i started that collection, but its been slow. Some appeared in 2013/14 and 2017 and now the last 2 in 2019. A total bonus for me becuase back in 2012 those kind of decals were not around. Speak soon. Kev

Edited by evinX

I’m delighted this thread has come back to life since it pre-dates my membership of Britmodeller and I’ve never seen it before.

That really is a fantastic collection with lots of interesting information and modelling tips. Thanks for sharing your outstanding work.

Dave G

me too to the above - BWIA back on the forum listings. I used to love both the old and the latter of the Bewee Steelpan liveries when they arrived up at LHR back in the day when we still had some wide body tri-jets turning up every day at LHR. I never really got excited over their A340-400 as a replacement to the L1011 - it didn't have that touch of RB211 mightiness and super flexy old wobbly wings that the L1011 had when ever I flew in and out of ANU - we lived there for a year or so, right under the Jolly Harbour glide path so we saw the green steel pans both large and small every day and then again when we migrated back to the UK.

I bought the 1/144 EE L1011-500 recently hoping to turn it into a Bewee steel-paner and then convinced myself to modify my Doyusha 1/100 L1011 from ANA to the green and yellow pan lid

I think you need to have a crack at the 747 that BWIA leased out - not a very interesting livery but it will fit into your storyline a real treat

well done for keeping the old airline's name alive