1 Wing Visitor

James Craik

Obviously popped in because of a problem with the all-flying tail (judging by the liney on the tailplane and the open access panels).

Can't quite make out the serial number - I wonder what mark of Javelin that is 4 or 5?

Thanks for sharing.

Wez

This is one of the two aircraft that made me fall in love with British aircraft....the other is the Sea Vixen.....they are just really too cool.

• 3 weeks later...
Obviously popped in because of a problem with the all-flying tail (judging by the liney on the tailplane and the open access panels).

Can't quite make out the serial number - I wonder what mark of Javelin that is 4 or 5?

This may be a bit tenuous, but No 11 Squadron operated both the Mk 4 and Mk5. They operated the 4 from 1959 to april 1962, and the 5 was operted Jan to December '62. Obviously there was some overlap at the time. I have, however, only ever seen photos of the mark 4 with the squadron colours on the tail which could suggest a Mk 4. As the only external difference appears to be the location of the gun camera, we may never know.

Mind you, having watched CSI, I bet they could not only enhance the photo for the serial, but do a full 360 rotation to show the other side :lol:

Hope this helps