Big Dick

I noticed time was pressing remorselessly onwards so thought I'd better get on with it! I was going to do a whole load of Nooky Booky's, but various things (eg. Life) have gotten in the way so if it's ok I will go for a nice Chequered version. I have nowt against the Nooky's but I don't look forward to painting those red/yellow/red spinners, as I can never get the damn lines straight! So, I hope nobody else is doing it.. I better crack on..

I will be using the Tamiya 1/48th kit for the base, straight out of the box as I will leave the super-detailing til I do the 32nd monster!

befcc110.jpg

and decals care of Eagle Strike

133322f6.jpg

Edited by jasman71

here's where we are up to...

c3e9d39d.jpg

740f3482.jpg

bc1ac0fd.jpg

Decided to order some seatbelts and placards for it, to add a bit of colour and to give the seat some life. In 72nd I wouldn't have bothered but in 48th it's a bit glaring in it's absence. The two shades of interior green are me experimenting with 'the right shade'.. went for the US Interior Green from Xtracolor. I have seen various builds that describe it from being close to RAF interior green to a bronze-green, but I have used this shade before.. and I like it! The wooden floor is just a base of Humbrol 110 with some dry brushing of other shades over the top, especially around the rudder pedals area. So until the postie turns up with these two little packs I will have to do something else, the tyres etc...

update pics...

These show the blackened floor, matt black roughly painted over the wood effect, and the addition of seatbelts and placards. I have also ordered a generic USAAF instruments sheet that will enhance the instrument panel at a later date, but for now this is where I am up to.. Main compenents joined and drying nicely..

02965f8a.jpg

91a7b740.jpg

beb7be44.jpg

8b33a812.jpg

16bf30df.jpg

painting stage.. handbrushed using Humbrol Metalcote flat aluminium given a quick polish, with the odd panel picked out using lightened / darkened mixes of the same paint. Anti-glare panel is Xtracolor WW2 Faded Olive Drab. The prop has also been constructed and sprayed white.

7d529c52.jpg

31f5796b.jpg

If I can get this done by tonight then I will have the rest of the week to tackle the decals, especially those nose chequers!

Last pic before finishing, adding a dirty wash, available from Hobby Tec, comes in various shades in bottles, and should last a good while! The main decals are on, and I had some fun with chequers around the nose - they ain't perfect - but they look ok from a distance. The rudder is painted Signal red first, then Insignia red afterwards, which looks closer to the red on the fuselage letters.For commpleted pics see the relevant thread :)

76412d88.jpg