Revell 1/48th F-89C Scorpion

After well over two years I finally completed my Revell 1/48th Northrop F-89C Scorpion as part of KUTA IV.

The kit is dated 1990; it is big, solid, clunky and went together very well. The wings, tailplane and main fuselage were covered with metal foil from confectionary bars such as Kit Kats (the resourcing phase was hell!) while the remaining surfaces were airbrushed Humbrol Metalcote 'Polished Aluminium' and Humbrol satin Coal Black. The decals were from the kit and were a major problem, they refused to soften, fit or adhere. Brushing with Klear helped to some extent.

Finished yesterday and as the sun was out I held a photoshoot outside to see what the foil looked like in natural light. Classic quarter view:

FinishTwo.jpg

A top view showing the different foil shades in the sun:

FinishOne.jpg

Quite a few areas for improvement can be seen but the sum of the parts ...

FinishEight.jpg

Nowhere near perfect but it works for me!

FinishSeven.jpg

I originally started her as a 'concept' build to see what metal foil would look like, sadly my aspirations back then were much lower than now. I am pleased with the overall results however I need to consider aftermarket decals for my Revell 1/48th F-89D/J still in the stash as the kit decals are not good. I also need to look at using better metallic paints such as Alclad II, I think mixed with foil the overall effect would be really good.

Maybe a Century series fighter next, or perhaps a bomber.

So, how many calories does a Kit Kat have ... ?

Michael

• Like 1

We need more like this! The Scorpion, Starfire and Shooting Star are few and far between in 1:48; you have certainly done justice to this one.

I can recommend Alclad II, it is very easy to use, looks great and is about the only thing I know I won't screw up! Unless you want a real automotive chrome finish though, best forget the gloss black primer -Tamiya AS-12 underneath is the way to go for most airframe finishes.

Thanks for the comments :blush:

The adhesive used for this was Microscale Micro Metal Foil Adhesive (from a model shop in Little Rock, Arkansas). However I used to apply foil with Humbrol clear varnish, works equally well but the trick is to wait until it is tacky before sticking the foil to the plastic.

Definitely going to get some Alclad II and give that a try.

Good point made about the Scorpion, Starfire and Shooting Star being 'under repesented'. I have an ancient "1/48th" Lindberg F-94C in the stash as well as an old Monogram F-80C so perhaps one of those would be a good testbed.

Michael