Supermarine Spitfire Vb

Tim B

Hello people,

Started this today and thought I would join the fun. I will be building it mostly OOB and will be having a go at fixing some of the little inaccuracies. I will probably be using the kit decals and depicting a Vokes filter unclipped version. I might even show off the engine and cannons. Here is the box art...

IMG_0789.jpg

Minus cat...

IMG_0790.jpg

I tried to fix the shape of the headrest. I punched out a 5mm circle of thin plasticard and stuck it onto the kit part then filled with squadron green. I sanded it down when it was dry and painted with mr surfacer. I left the surface

a little rough so it would look like leather (i hope).

IMG_0774.jpg

The rest of the days work. Some pin holes needed filling. Note none in the fuselage sides.

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

Hopefully get some grey-green on tomorrow.

Tim

Nice one Tim, she's a beaut, nice lines and a great colour scheme. The Spitfire looks good as well

and very naughty Mish :)

got a little done today. I decided to try and build a new front canopy. This is as far as I got.

IMG_0793-1.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

Its still needs some work in the shape department and cleaning up. I may use it.

Cheers

Tim

Edited by Tim B

A few more pics let me know what you think please.

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

It's quite dusty atm but that's just because I have been sanding the frame (I'll shine it up when/if I get the shape right). I'll add the internal armour later if I decide to use it. If its no good I'll just use the kit part.

Here's the real thing. Please contact me if you want me to remove the pic.

large.jpg

Oh and I suppose I better show why I am bothering with all this. Sorry Hobby Boss It's just wrong...

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

Personally I think this is an awesome kit but I cant understand how they could do that to the canopy.

IMG_0737.jpg

Naughty cat!

Cheers

Tim

Edited by Tim B

That looks great mate.

Please tell me it fits the slide section of the canopy?

Deacon

From the side

IMG_0827.jpg

Not bad....

From the front....

IMG_0822.jpg

Maybe I'll just leave the canopy open. I'll worry about it later.

Tim

Edited by Tim B

This mornings work...Against my better judgement I decided to tackle the sliding canopy. I masked the rear of the canopy and added some thickness to the front of the frame using plasticard strip. I carefully glued it in place and sanded it until the struts were straight and a half decent match for the front canopy. I unmasked it when my worst fears were realised. the glue had leaked under the tape all the way into the centre of the underside of the clear part (had to be the underside!). I didn't take any pics at this point because i was ready to bin it.

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

I spent the rest of the morning lightly sanding it and buffing it out with toothpaste. Hence it looks a little milky in the pics...... Saved and not a bad fit either.

It just requires some minor tinkering and a dip in some Klear and we should be good to go again. Phew...

Tim

Small update. I made a mould for the front canopy and cast a test out of normal resin.

IMG_0855.jpg

I am also making a mould for the rear canopy but it is more complex and still curing.

I built up the engine and the canons.

I promise I will start painting soon :)

Edited by Tim B