Airfix Stirling

woody37

Thanks guys.

Got a bit of time on it today. Got the wings on, wing roots filled and another coat of primer to spot the flaws. Still some bits to sort out, but it's looking more like a Stirling now :)

DSCF1191.jpg

Also done some work on the engine bits. The intakes at the top are a bit naff, so I've added some plasticard to the base of them to turn the inlet from a U shape to an O then rounded the opening off. Some fettling will be required when these get fitted as the card has raised them up creating a gap near the back, nothing the magic tools int box wont sort !

DSCF1185.jpg

DSCF1188.jpg

Thanks for looking. At Cosford tomorrow, looking forwards to it :)

Looking good Neil, nice work on the intakes. Are you going to open the gills or leave as is. One of our chaps made up separate gills to give the engines a lot more detail and though it took a while to do it certainly looked the part when done. Not sure yet whether I'll bother but the more I look at the lumpy kit bits the more I'm tempted. A syou say it looks like a Striling now..

Great stuff... :winkgrin:

Cheers mate

Having the same thoughts as you this evening.

I've got some nacelles off Callum (Fornlornhope) and obviously the kit ones. To fit the resin ones on will mean chopping part of the nacelle off where the cooling gills are as they are a solid lump at the back, so either way, I'm thinking of making new gills as they are a key part of a Herc poweregg visually. I could be lazy and get a set of the Halifax PE from White ensign as this has the framework for in front of the engines too. Making new gills will probably be easier than scribing the detail into the kit ones as they are pretty bland looking aren't they !

Such nice work on the intakes. It gets better by the day, lurvely stuff

Might see you at Cosford, we will be near the mighty TSR2 :thumbsup:

Cool, who's we ?

I'll be there with the missus and two roudy kids :D

Cheers Si,

It was a great day out, kids enjoyed it as much as I did although for different reasons (sun, daleks etc !!)

Anyway, done a bit of playing around when I got back to make a decision on how to proceed with the engines. In the end I've decided to go with the kit parts as whilst the resin ones are correctly shaped, the surface is going to be quite difficult to tidy up (internal and external) and the router is needed to scoop the back out so they will fit. I've made some gills up using plasticard and they don't look too bad. I had to sand the profile of the exhaust ring too as it was a bit too blunt. I scribed a few lines into the part by holding the scriber still in one hand while rotating the nacelle on it's nose with the other and using a file to get the different heights for the scriber !!!!!

DSCF1212.jpg

DSCF1210.jpg

The exhaust front needs some miliput or filler to blend it in yet, so it's not done, just a check to see whether this is the right solution.

Cheers

That looks great Woody,

Although I don`t envy you cutting out all of those plastic card gills! This model is really coming on and should be a stunner when it is done, keep up the good work,

Cheers

Tony O

They spent most of their time following the daleks :lol:

Done some more work on the first engine just to see how it tidy's up. I need to rescribe it, but it looks OK, so I'll crack on with the others in the week.

DSCF1219.jpg

And the progress so far...

DSCF1222.jpg

Cheers

Just caught back up with this one. Just from the pictures you would never guess the age of the original moulds!

Martin

Just caught back up with this one. Just from the pictures you would never guess the age of the original moulds!

Martin

Most of the original kit is in the carpet in the form of sanding dust :blink: