P51 B 'Yipee Joe' Captain Pierce McKennon

AndyL

Picked this up at Yeovilton last Saturday, and decided to have a go at completing it before the end of the GB. The decals are from the Aeromaster Debden Ponies Pt2.

DSCF0966.jpg

I've been doing bits and bobs to it all week...

DSCF0967.jpg

DSCF0969.jpg

DSCF0970.jpg

Got it all primed up and ready for the Alclad. I just placed the prop spinner on for the photo as I liked the contrast with the red and white lol!

DSCF0971.jpg

More photos soon. Thanks for looking.

Cheers Ian. Finally have finished Alclading the model. Bought two new bottles of Alclad at Yeovilton, and managed to knock one over before even drawing a drop out of the thing. Good job I had that second one. So it's the shade airframe aluminium, with certain panels picked out in dark aluminium. The latter is about 13 years old, and goes on much better that the new stuff!

DSCF0975.jpg

Later today I'm going to mask the wings and tail off and spray the black bands on, and depending on how that cures, then I'll do the red nose band. The shade of red I'm using is Nissan Red out of a rattle can, and looks good to my eye. More as it happens. Or not lol!

Thanks for looking.

Decals on. Despite one of the fuselage star and bars wrinkling horribly, and having to be replaced, all went ok. Just waiting for everything to set before sealing everything in with Klear, before the little bits - decalling the prop, adding the undercarriage legs and wheels, and underwing hard points. Then a coat of Windsor and Newton matt varnish, and a little weathering. Then I can get on with the Fw190 GB lol!

DSCF0980.jpg

Thanks Tim and Erik...progress had been interrupted by what I would call a horrendous night shift Sunday/Monday. Got home Monday, slept, got up, and went back to work. However, I have managed to get a bit done today. Undercarriage legs, flaps, and prop on. I need to add the undercarriage doors and exhausts, then matt varnish it, then weather it a little with some pastels. With luck should have it all done by tomorrow night.

DSCF0982.jpg

Thanks for looking.