1:72 Hasegawa F-14D Super Tomcat VF-31 Last Flight

thats pretty awesome - I might have a go at that myself....when I get the time to get back to my 'cats that is....

hopoe the back prob is working out ok

Hi mates,

OK, I've finished the beastie! Here are a few more shots of the final stages of construction, which consisted of building the exhaust nozzles (never again, Mr. Hasegawa!), detailing the inside of the canopy, adding the pylons and drop tanks, and adding the crew figures.

100_1946

100_1948

100_1950

100_1949

And here she is as I decided to pose her. This was inspired by several air show performances I've seen where the F-14 "bows to the crowd" after the flight demo while the RIO breaks out a US flag. I think it makes for a great picture!

100_1976

Additional pictures of the finished model can be found here. Plus, since I took a lot of photos, I'll also post some in the normal "Ready For Inspection" forum.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Dude that is very oh so very cool. I didn't manage to get to NAS Oceana for the 2006 show when the last four tomcats bowed in front of the crowed but I have a dvd from Hart Aviation videos which documented it very well. I hate to say this but I am going to anyway but I cried my eyes out when I saw that and your rendition of it is nearly having the same effect so my hat is is off to you. :crying::goodjob:

Bill, that is superb!! Many thanks for the dry salt masking technique, I intend to copy that for my own build. Talking of which, I really had better get my finger out!!

inspiring....just awesomely inpsiring.

even more so when I think about the probs you have been having back-wise

well done that man - a promotion could be coming your way

kev1n said:
inspiring....just awesomely inpsiring.

even more so when I think about the probs you have been having back-wise

well done that man - a promotion could be coming your way

Thanks, Kev1n. The back pain is getting quite bad, but I should have the results from the spinal tap study soon. The MRI showed a disk herniation down by my tail bone, arghhh. If I have to have another surgery it will be the third over a period of a year and a half, and the eighth overall. My advice to everyone is take good care of your back!!

What I need is a spine transplant like the one they gave to Worf on STTNG.

Cheers,

Bill

What I need is a spine transplant like the one they gave to Worf on STTNG.

Cheers,

Bill

I'm getting a bit tired of the body I have - it's about time they invented a body transplant or an exchange scheme; would make life much more interesting if you could send the old one back and get a new one.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi mates,

OK, I've finished the beastie! Here are a few more shots of the final stages of construction, which consisted of building the exhaust nozzles (never again, Mr. Hasegawa!), detailing the inside of the canopy, adding the pylons and drop tanks, and adding the crew figures.

And here she is as I decided to pose her. This was inspired by several air show performances I've seen where the F-14 "bows to the crowd" after the flight demo while the RIO breaks out a US flag. I think it makes for a great picture!

100_1976.jpg

Additional pictures of the finished model can be found here. Plus, since I took a lot of photos, I'll also post some in the normal "Ready For Inspection" forum.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill

It is an amazing bird you have produced! My hat off to you sir!

I tried to do the same in 1/48, but time and family made it difficult to finish.

How did you model the nose gear leg?

I think this picture is ok to post here:-)

Again my hat off to you!! VERY well done!

DSC_0125-1.jpg

RNoAF Aerobatic Team said:
Bill

How did you model the nose gear leg?

The Hasegawa kit includes two front landing gear legs, one is for the "normal" parked position, and the other is for the catapault launch position. I used the second one, with just one modification. The kit moulding has the launch bar in the lowered (connected to the catapault) position, I had to reposition that in raised position.

Nice collection of patches!!

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Well, I don't get to have a new spine, but I will be able to enjoy back surgery number eight. Scheduled for June 27. Arghhhhhh...

• 2 months later...

Without doubt, that's one of the best model aircraft I've ever had the pleasure of seeing! I hope to use a few of the techniques you described on my attempt at an F-14 soon

Best of luck to you as well with regards to your back trouble.