5. Wez

6. Paul J

7. Hythe

8. Jenshb

9. SaintsPhil

10. Madmonk

11. JohnT

12. JeffreyK (if the STGB stars soon)

13. Starfighter (With such a nick you can't miss this biggrin.gif )

14. Iain (if the new 32 is released soon..)

15. Col.

16. Bandwagon 106

17. kpc7676

In 1:48 the Hasegawa is good, I think Revell repop'ed it?

Is the Revell kit not a re-issue of the older Monogram mould?

Built a Hasegawa 72nd scale F-104S many years ago when they first came out and was very impressed with its quality so go for it if you see one at a decent price Phil.

Revell have reissued the Monogram kit a few times, ten they released the Hasegawa kit for a while before switching back to the Monogram kit in the current 1:48 release. The Revell boxing that has the Hasegawa kit should be the one with a blue and white anniversary paint scheme on it. Not sure of the item number though.

Jens

Thanks all,

Did a bit of digging myself (I'm not completely lazy!!) and came to the same conclusion that's it Hasegawa 1st place in both scales! With the italeri/ESCI or Revell kits a decent 2nd place in 1/72 and the Revell/monogram 2nd in 1/48 (has raised panel lines I believe?).

My choice of scale may depend on time and how many I decide to build!!

Phil

For the time being, it's Hasegawa on pole position in 1:32, 1:48 and 1:72. The 1:72 kit is getting on a bit (late 80s I believe), but it still is the best in that scale. The 1:32 kit is from the mid-70s and is basically accurate in outline, though not up to current expections in detail. CMK are releasing detailing sets in the (hopefully) near future for wheel wells, engine bay ("hyd hatch") and Aires do a beautiful nozzle. There are also plenty of detailing sets available from CMK for the 1:72 kit. The Italeri (ex-Esci) in 1:72 is not a bad kit with finely engraved panel lines, although the cockpit and exhaust are both a bit simplified compared to the Hasegawa kit.

Jens

Hasegawa 1/72 is good, and mentioned above the ESCI/Italeri is a close second but comes first in price terms being cheaper.

Then there's the Revell 1/72 F-104C - bought one recently - looks nice, and several reviews have put it up with at least the ESCI / AMT one, and possibly the Hasegawa.

Folks, my apologies for having missed the start of this thread....

First of all, I'm glad that enough members have shown interest and we're having the F-104 Starfighter STGB ! And of course, thanks to Mish for setting it up !!

Speaking of kits, as others have said hasegawa wins in every scale: the 1/72 and 1/48 kits are quite modern while the 1/32 one is quite old but can still be made into a good replica.

As for other kits, the situation is this:

1/72: Hasegawa number one, they issued both single and two-seaters in several boxes.

Revell is a worthy number 2 being a bit simpler than the hasegawa kit but almost as good ! Both the C, the G and the TF have been issued. Unfortunately it's not always easy to find.

The old Esci kit, now reboxed by Italeri, is an older but still good option. It's not as correct shapewise and the detail is limited (decals in the cockpit and little in the wheel wells) but it's simple, has recessed panel lines and still looks good enough.

Heller had a G/TF box that suffered from some errors but was for a while the best around (and the only TF)

Matchbox had a crude F-104G then converted into a TF. Airfix too had a G, that is not really on par with the more modern kits. Speaking of older tools hasegawa had a F-104J for a long time that was quite bad in shape. The academy kit is a pirated copy of this kit, and so is best avoided

1/48: again hasegawa number one, no context !

The old monogram is number 2, being good in shape and well detailed. It has the good old monogram raised panel lines and the quality of the box decals have not always been good. Both a G and a C have been issued.

The Esci kit ranks 3rd, being not as nice as the monogram offering. It's still not bad although little detailed, a decent canvas to add some details. It was issued as a C, a G and a Nasa N.

1/32: hasegawa only, issued as both a C and a G. Italeri has announces one for this year. As it's been in preparation for a couple of years, we have to hope it's really ready now.

Revell also made a 1:32 Starfighter kit, but from memory of the Verlinden Lock On, this kit is simpler than the Hasegawa kit although shapes don't seem to attract too much critisism. By modern standards, the Hasegawa kit is very simplified though and definitely the best option in this scale until (hopefully) the Italeri kit makes it's arrival. Hasegawa have released this as a C, J and G, and the later boxings have resin mainwheels and main wheel doors to make a more correct G (this had the wider wheels). I believe they also try to market it as an S, but that it is not. The resin wheel covers have a fairly pronounced circular bulge, but in real life the this is very subtle and hard to make out even when standing right next to the aircraft and running your hands over it.

Jens

Jens, thanks for the correction on the 1/32 revell, had totally missed it ! And I also forgot the original Revell 1/48 F-104G kit, that was revell's own and not the later monogram kit reboxed recently by RoG.

Now none of the two was probably a bad omission, as they are both older tools, but an unforgivable omission is revell's recent 1/144 kit, that is a gem and the best in this scale. This kit is available in both F anf TF form.

If memory serves, there is no F-104S that's accurate from the box - is that right?

You are right, none is totally correct from the box.

To recap the main external differences between the G and the S, these are:

- new engine with longer exhaust

- different intakes with auxiliary doors

- two additional ventral fins beside the original G one

- smaller center ventral fin

- extra pylons on the wing and fuselage for a total of 9 hardpoints

- on the inteceptors, provision for the Sparrow missile, leading to the deletion of the gun to make room for the extra radar equipment required. The fighter-bombers retained the gun

- a few additional antennas, the most visible are two drop shaped fairings on the rear fuselage

Now of the available kits, the best is IMHO the hasegawa 1/72 one that includes everything except the different centre ventral fin and the drop fairings. The fin is easy to bring to the right shape using a knife and a sanding stick.

The hasegawa 1/48 kit lacks the above, plus the different intakes and the new pylons.

The esci 1/72 kit has the pylons but not the right intakes and the right exhaust. It also lacks the bulged wheel well doors that are on most F-104Gs and all F-104S. It also lacks the fairing needed on the gunless aircrafts.

The esci 1/48 kit has the same problems of the 1/72 kit.

Can't comment on the 1/32 hasegawa kit as I've never built one.

Speaking of this version, one thing that I've yet to find is a good out of the tin paint for the green used on the camouflaged aircrafts.

One thing that are available are decals, with tauromodel having done several sheets. Modeldecal als had a very nice sheet, although some artworks were a bit oversized. I happily replaced the decals on my hasegawa kit with the old modeldecal ones when I built my S a couple of years ago.

Edited by Giorgio N

Alan, you're welcome to the GB !

The updated list is:

1. Giorgio N (Host)

2. TonyGol

3. Andrew

4. Oggy4624

5. Wez

6. Paul J

7. Hythe

8. Jenshb

9. SaintsPhil

10. Madmonk

11. JohnT

12. Starfighter

13. Iain

14. Col.

15. Bandwagon 106

16. kpc7676

17. F-32

18. Alan Hooker

Shoud anyone be interested in co-hosting, let me know !

Edited by Giorgio N

Now of the available kits, the best is IMHO the hasegawa 1/72 one that includes everything except the different centre ventral fin and the drop fairings.

The two drop fairings are the two passive radar receivers on the back? If so are they missing or just misshaped?

For all those interested in participation -

you might find this site of interest

http://www.i-f-s.nl/index.htm

Its the web site of the International F 104 Society

lots of great photos, walk rounds, modelling stuff and kit lists plus links to other sites

hope it helps anyone not laready aware of it

John

Edited by JohnT

The two drop fairings are the two passive radar receivers on the back? If so are they missing or just misshaped?

Actually I was wrong: the two fairings are there on the 1/72 hasegawa kit... and as the tail cone is the same for all kits, I believe they are there also on versions that should not have them...

I have to chek if they are passive receivers or what, I'll have a look at the parts catalogue.

An interesting webpage explaining the Italian Starfighters is this one:

http://theaviationist.com/works/italian-f-...ions-explained/

I may join the GB, if I have time, it would be 1/72 Hase in AMI colours if I will join

Cheers

Paolo

Paolo, you are welcome ! Will be good to have an Italian Starfighter ! And I realise it's not good that the Italian host of the STGB will probably not build an Italian 104... oh well, someone at least will do it !

• 2 weeks later...

Folks, anyone else interested in the GB ?

At the moment the interested parties are:

1. Giorgio N (Host)

2. TonyGol

3. Andrew

4. Oggy4624

5. Wez

6. Paul J

7. Hythe

8. Jenshb

9. SaintsPhil

10. Madmonk

11. JohnT