Sanger's 1/48th Avro Shackleton AEW2 vacform project.

I've got a bit more done to the Shack over the last couple of days - the model is now structually complete and has had the fins attached and blended in:

IMG_1232.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

She's had thorough going over with super fine sandpaper in preparation for paint, and I've also sprayed the bomb-bay and wheel bays and added the cooling gills to the engines:

IMG_1235.jpg

I've also completed the flightdeck - these are the parts Sanger provide:

S1030303.jpg

So I've gone down the scratch-building route...

S1030304.jpg

S1030312.jpg

S1030310.jpg

Using various size drills I made the instrument panel details, and then raided the spares box for anything I could find seat-wise. In the end I've modified some more Monogram 1/48th B-17 seats, and used some Fortress control columns too. Although far from 100% accurate, once the heavy cockpit framing is on not much will be seen anyway, and they're a vast improvement over the kit parts...

Here is a test-fit of the clear parts... not too bad at all. Once fitted a quick lick of filler and they'll be fine.

S1030311.jpg

You'll also notice that I've now added the exhausts too... she's nearly ready for a coat of dark sea grey.

Tom

Nice work Tom, What do you do about the cockpit frame work? Mask it off and use some thick paint or make something without messing with the clear parts?

Really enjoying this build, It looks great.

This really is great work, the more I see of it, the more I convince myself that I need to have a go at one of these big Sanger vacforms. All that scratch-building is really damn impressive!

Keep up the great work!

Regards,

Nik

Don't know what your plans are with the dials, I've dropped a bit of PVA into them with a cocktail stick, give them a nice touch :)

That's a cracking idea, thank you!

Nice work Tom, What do you do about the cockpit frame work? Mask it off and use some thick paint or make something without messing with the clear parts?

Really enjoying this build, It looks great.

Thanks Radleigh, and yes you are spot on. I'll mask the windows and give the area around the cockpit a few good coats of paint - that should do the job.

I'm going to try and dig a vac out for you this week, I'l let you know what I find.

This really is great work, the more I see of it, the more I convince myself that I need to have a go at one of these big Sanger vacforms. All that scratch-building is really damn impressive!

Keep up the great work!

Regards,

Nik

Thank you Nik. And yes you should go for it - fortune favours the brave and all that... ;)

Thanks Radleigh, and yes you are spot on. I'll mask the windows and give the area around the cockpit a few good coats of paint - that should do the job.

I'm going to try and dig a vac out for you this week, I'l let you know what I find.

Cool, Not done anything like that so will be good to see how it turns out.

No worries on the vac, Much appreciated! :)

The last major job before applying any paint has been to add the canopy - here is the main clear area attached and filled. The fit was very good indeed, and after some careful trimming the piece fitted almost exactly. The filler will now blend the whole thing in and hopefully it'll look like an integral part of the fuselage once painted:

IMG_1245.jpg

In the above picture the masking tape is just there to protect the transparency whilst filling and sanding; when done I masked the individual windows and when the masking is removed after paint it'll look like the framing (he says with fingers crossed.)

Once the cockpit areas were complete I was able to get a coat of paint on the ol' girl. Here is the cockpit and observer's area under a coat of Hannant's Xtracolour Dark Sea Grey:

IMG_1249.jpg

I also added the arrary of lumps and bumps from Milliput, and once sanded to shape and now they're under a coat of paint I'm pleased with their appearance. The heating system (the long thin 'tubes') were made from spare sprue sanded to shape:

IMG_1251.jpg

I've also added the aileron controls from scrap plastic and stretched sprue, and the fuel dump pipes from drilled sprue too. The panel lines have been rescribed and also the hinges for the ailerons made from thin evergreen strips:

IMG_1250.jpg

The engines look fine under a lick of paint:

IMG_1248.jpg

These final two shots show the complete airframe; nice and glossy in preparation for some decals over the next few days:

IMG_1247.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

The next step will be the 'white' decals... I'll explain more over the next few posts.

Tom

It suddenly looks like a real Shackleton to me now. Excellent work!

I have seen a documentary on the Shackleton once that was most entertaining and gave an insight in all procedures around operating these machines. Wonderful aircraft!

Your model captures it well..

Well this really is fun to watch. I've never quite found the time or energy to give a vac-form a go but it's something I'd like to do one day. I'm enjoying 'living the dream' through your build though!

Good luck to you - cracking job so far!

Andy

I've got plenty done in the last few days.

First job was to apply the white background to many of the decals - here are the underwing serials:

IMG_1252.jpg

Next, the coloured decals were applied over the top. The decalling process is now finished:

IMG_1256.jpg

S1030314.jpg

S1030315.jpg

S1030319.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

Many decals came for the spares box; others such as the roundels, wing-walk ways and 8 squadron bars came from Hannant's Xtradecal range:

IMG_1261.jpg

You'll also notice that she's on her undercarriage... the legs are a mixture of Tamiya Lancaster and other details added to Sanger's white metal set. The main wheels are a Lancaster pair, but they are the closest I could get for a 1/48th Shackleton as no aftermarket items exist:

IMG_1259.jpg

The tail wheel is a spare Airfix Canberra nosewheel set:

IMG_1260.jpg

The array of aerials seen all over the Shackleton were all made from scratch using plastic card:

IMG_1255.jpg

Not too much left to do now... after a coat of satin varnish I need to spray the anti-dazzle panel forward of the cockpit matt black, and then try to sort the propellers.

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

Really looking forward to seeing this in the plastic at Folkstone on the 22nd. :wub:

It will put everything else to shame. :worthy:

Nice one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!