Sanger's 1/48th Avro Shackleton AEW2 vacform project.

My next long term project is going to be Sanger's 1/48th Avro Shackleton AEW2.

I built the same company's Avro Lincoln a few years back, and encountered few problems. This release of the Shackleton is better still, with crisp vacform moldings, nice white metal parts and a comprehensive set of plans. This particular kit allows you to build an 8 Squadron machine (based at RAF Lossiemouth), one of the last in service before being replaced by the E-3 in 1991.

First up are some shots of the kit.

Fuselage and wings (the latter are the same as in the Lincoln kit):

IMG_1157.jpg

Engines and tail etc:

IMG_1159.jpg

Canopies and white-metal parts (I'll include more pictures of these when I've opened them up):

IMG_1158.jpg

And finally the plans/instructions, the decals and Warpaint's publication on the Shackleton which is a valuable source of photo's:

IMG_1160.jpg

As with all vacform builds, I plan to tackle each part of the model as a mini-kit in itself, and bring them all together when each sub-section has been completed. I'm going to start with the engines, as these seem the most tricky part of the build. When I'm up and running, I'll add some pictures.

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

Hi Tom,

Good for you for tacking this kit - I shall watch this thread with interest!!!

I have PM'd to you some in progress pictures from when I built the 1:48 Sanger MR3 kit a few years ago which hopefully will be of use.

:giles:

Darius

Ooooooh!

Kit from Ebay?

No, Hannants stock most of Sanger's range: http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php...25&pageID=2

Or, you could go directly to Sanger's website: http://www.sangereng.fsnet.co.uk/home_page.htm

I get the feeling I need to go photo crazy of WR963 this weekend with so many people building a Shackleton lately. If anybody wants to come and poke around an AEW2, let me know.

The Sanger Shackleton is pretty good, though the wingtips and engine nacelle shape leaves a lot to be desired. No radiator shutters, air filters...

Regards,

Rich

I get the feeling I need to go photo crazy of WR963 this weekend with so many people building a Shackleton lately. If anybody wants to come and poke around an AEW2, let me know.

The Sanger Shackleton is pretty good, though the wingtips and engine nacelle shape leaves a lot to be desired. No radiator shutters, air filters...

Regards,

Rich

Hi Rich,

Any photo's you have of the bomb-bay (I plan to have mine open) and the wheel-bays would be great!

Regarding the engines, I've been informed of the shape issues, hence I'm planning to start them first and get the toughest bit out of the way (famous last words!) I've got some fine mesh ready to replicate the radiators seen in the intakes, but the rest will have to be scratch-built. The shutters on the sides of the nacelles shouldn't be too taxing though... but we'll have to see!

Tom

I have some photo's of the bomb bay already. New ones may not be too much use as we have a cargo pannier in there at the moment which kind of spoils the view!

The shutters are the same profile as the cowling, so they are flush when in the 'trail' position. The panel behind the shutters is the interestingly shaped one. As I mentioned earlier though, the biggest omission is the filters, below and aft of the shutters. There is a rather visible bulge, with two grilles and a central spine at the very bottom (which is part of the fuel drain)

I'll post some stuff up in a couple of hours when I get back from work.

Rich

AEW2 bomb bay looking aft. The 'egg crate' style construction starts where the transport joint is, between the centre section and rear intermediate section

DSCF1314.jpg

AEW2 bomb bay looking forward. Notice the bomb doors have a shaped inner, and are fitted with fluorescent lights. The remains of the ducting behind the hydrualic lines on this picture is part of the heating system, it originally ran up both sides.

DSCF1313.jpg

Undercarraige bay looking forward. You can see the main spar boom, and theres another just like it at the top next to the wing skin, just out of shot. The two large pipes are generator air inlet and outlet. In the starboard bay (shown) there is also a hydraulic hand pump fitted between the fire bottles. The red struts are the undercarraige external locks. The yellow ladder is the crewladder, and I was using it to get up into the bay.. I'll get rearwards, and sideways shot tomorrow. The rib construction in the bay is very similar to on the Lancaster.

DSCF1013-1.jpg

This is the best profile shot I have of an outboard engine nacelle, taken about 18 months ago. You can see the filter grilles, and the deeper shape to tthe boat tail of the nacelle compared against the Sanger moulding.

DSCF1053.jpg

Taken at the same time, a closer shot of the radiator shutters.

DSCF1054.jpg

There's loads more pictures in my photobucket account, and anything you want specifically I can get any Saturday when I put the spanners down.

http://s359.photobucket.com/albums/oo34/richw_82/?start=all

Kind regards,

Rich

There's loads more pictures in my photobucket account, and anything you want specifically I can get any Saturday when I put the spanners down.

http://s359.photobucket.com/albums/oo34/richw_82/?start=all

Kind regards,

Rich

Hi Rich,

Fantastic shots... very uselful indeed.

Is this beauty a possible airworthy candidate? I see she's in 'running order'.

Tom

I'd love to say "yes" but there's nothing currently being planned for airworthy, the last survey done showed she was life expired and would need a few miliion spending on re-sparring the wings before anything else.

Fast taxying is the aim for now. Out of the 185 built she's currently the last running.

great undercart picture there Rich

Wish I'd had that when I was making mine all those years ago :)

I expect our car club will be visiting you at Cov some time this year

If they don't go I'll come alone. I'll let you know when. See if we can tie up one day

Love the Shackleton with a passion

bill

I've made a start today on the Rolls-Royce Griffon engines.

Sanger provide the engine front plate, but no radiator detail or the supports which link the propeller mountings to the outer colwling. Here they are before cutting out and sanding to shape:

IMG_1170.jpg

These are the mounts for the props, which sit proud of the radiators and protrude slightly from the cowlings. Again, these are seen before removal from the backing plastic:

IMG_1172.jpg

Here are both sections removed and sanded to shape:

IMG_1173.jpg

The propeller mounts were then glued to the backing plates:

IMG_1174.jpg

Next I cut some fine mesh to shape to represent the radiator fronts, and then cut some strips from spare backing plastic in preparation for making the supports:

IMG_1181.jpg

Finally, following Sanger's plans I added the required supports:

IMG_1185.jpg

They still need a bit of work and neatening up, but you get the idea.

The next task will be work on the nacelles themselves, and then the fronts can of course be inserted when they are ready.

Tom

Awesome work so far!

This is one of the lower cowlings, removed during maintenance. Obviously, its t'other way up when attached to the aircraft...

When looking at one of these from the front, the intake is assymetric. On the right hand side is one large radiator. The small 'V' in the middle is the air intake for the engine, left side you have a small radiator, then the rounded intake which is the oil cooler.

DSCF1072.jpg

The small vents above the propeller centreline are intakes for ducting that cools the exhaust manifolds.

DSCF1223-1.jpg