1:72 English Electric Lightning F.2A

Hello mates,

A long time ago in a galaxy far away, I had this idea of building the 1:72 Trumpeter Lightning F.2A kit. It looked great in the box, so it should be a nice quick little build, eh? Those of you who've been following my work-in-progress thread know that wasn't quite the case.

By the time I was done, I had used portions of the Trumpy kit, part of the old Matchbox kit (belly tank and refueling probe), an Aires resin cockpit and bang seat, the Eduard photoetch cockpit and exterior detail sets, Quickboost rear fuselage corrections and exhaust nozzles, Quickboost resin intake ring, Xtradecal markings for 92 Squadron, Xtradecal stencils, inspiration, perspiration, and a whole lot of very bad words. The WIP thread has all the gory details.

Thanks to the encouragement and expertise of my fellow Britmodellers, I think I've managed to make a reasonably nice model. Paint is mostly Alclad (aluminum, dark aluminum, magnesium, steel, dull aluminum, chrome, and white aluminum), Gunze acrylic (primarily H322 masquerading as Roundel Blue), and some Testors ModelMaster enamels. The final coat over the Alclad is their new Aqua Clear Gloss which I like quite a bit.

So here she is! Enjoy!

100_1832

100_1828_bw

100_1830

100_1829

100_1837

100_1826

100_1831

100_1846

100_1839

100_1840

100_1841

100_1844

100_1845

100_1863

100_1860

100_1858

100_1859

100_1855

100_1848

100_1861

By the way, my pilot has been severely reprimanded for not only leaving the nose wheel turned, but also the air brakes open and the flaps down! So belly up to the bar, mates! The first round is on him!   :) 

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by Navy Bird
Photobucket Eradication
  • Like 3

Bill you absolutely nailed it! This is the best model I have seen on here so far this year and the best Lightning I can remember seeing.

Trumpeter please note this is what a 1/72 scale Lightning should look like, not a stubby nosed, pork bellied freak on stilts! (rant over).

Mike DeTorrice said:
Clearly, all the hard work (and naughty words !) were well worth it.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. It was a fun project, I don't normally research as much as I did here, but in order to get a faithful replica it was required. It seemed like every time I found a fix for one problem, another popped up. Those were the times when my language relegated me to the naughty corner. I think the most common remark during the build was "you've got to be (expletive deleted) kidding me!"

I have quite a few Trumpeter kits in the stash, but this was the first one I've built. It did not leave me with a good taste about Trumpeter's design team!! I'm afraid to pull out the Sea Fury kit.

Cheers,

Bill

Rich F said:
You've captured the shape and stance of the Lightning beautifully.

Thanks - I'm glad that it came out that way. I spent a lot of time comparing to drawings, figuring out what the correct wing anhedral should be, how long the main gear legs should be, where the wings should be mounted (Trumpy had them too far forward) etc. It was really important to me, because the Lightning is one of those aircraft where its stance is a "signature" - if you don't have it right, and Trumpeter most definitely did not get it right, it just looks "off." And it's far too important of an aircraft for that!

Cheers,

Bill

Nobby said:
Lovely model all round! You seem to have captured the sit perfect! The shot head on slightly of to one side though.....wow!!! That's the one that does it for me! Daredn't build mine now!!!

Yeah, I think that's my favorite shot too! I have a photo of a real Lightning in the very same pose, and it was one that I kept referring to during the build, to make sure that I captured that look. It's just an awesome angle!

And please, Nobby, if you have a Lightning in the stash, you owe it to humanity to build it! I am absolutely sure that you will do it justice! You will probably even scratchbuild the personal services disconnect that I left out of the cockpit.

Cheers,

Bill

Duncan B said:
Bill you absolutely nailed it! This is the best model I have seen on here so far this year and the best Lightning I can remember seeing.

Trumpeter please note this is what a 1/72 scale Lightning should look like, not a stubby nosed, pork bellied freak on stilts! (rant over).

Thanks Duncan!

I need to say that many of the Britmodellers helped me during this build, particularly Duncan, Iain, and Bill Clark, both on the forum and in PM. Even though I'm on the other side of the pond, you guys really helped with your expertise and advice! I can't thank you enough. I would have made some bone-headed decisions without you guys pointing me in the correct direction.

And yes, hopefully Trumpeter has been following the WIP thread!

Cheers,

Bill

PS. How do you get the replies to several messages all in one post? I did it one time, but I don't recall how. I don't think I manually edited the code, I think it just happened somehow.