F-4G wild weasel colour question

c.smith10

I think i am going to do a second G in euro 1 scheme as i do quite like it! i can find any information on the LAU-119, were single mavericks mounted to G's with any other launch rails?

cheers

If you google LAU-117 you should come up with some drawings of the single launch rail. I reckon you can recreate it from the LAU-88 by mating the very top with the bottom rail, in a more than passable state for 1/48.

Many of those sites will also give you the LAU-118/Areo 5 mod for the HARM missile. IIRC Hasegawa did see fit to include LAU-34 and the (77/78?) launch rails and missiles for Shrike and Standard ARM in their F-4G kit.

If you're hankering after a Euro I example the 52nd TFW flew them with grey/black/red 'low vis' shark's mouths around 1986-87 and they were very impressive-looking machines.

Personally, I don't have a preference, all schemes on the F-4G looking fairly cool! The only issue is matching the ECM pod they carried on the left front Sparrow well:

George AFB, CA: 'long' ALQ-119 later replaced by ALQ-184 IIRC (modified version of the same pod, but with stuff turned around and a double-decker front gondola)'

Spang, WG: ditto, later replaced by ALQ-131 'deep' pod

Clark Field: ditto, and don't know what they used in the late years

cheers

tony t

Edited by tony.t

Clark's Gs used the ALQ-119 and ALQ-184, while the 3rd TFS's Es also had the ALQ-131 while they were deployed to Incirlik during Desert Storm in 1991, alll their Phantoms had red and white sharkmouths through all their colour schemes :wub:

Still not sure what to do, the perfect cure?-do a little work on those long dormant F-4Es !!

2012-02-19164623.jpg

Sharkmouths galore here- Ramstein (RS) 86th TFW in wraparound SEA (the 526th TFS's "Nightstalker" from 1983) and 52nd TFW / 480th TFS (SP) from 1985 in Euro 1

2012-02-19164702.jpg

Joel

Hi Tony

They've been on hold for a while-about 2 years!!! Picked them up again these last couple of days and in the next pics, they will look a lot more complete. Think this thread gave me some inspiration!

Joel

• 4 years later...

Happy to found this topic.

Currently doing some research on one of my next projects and I am wondering when the EUROPEAN scheme was going operational and which unit was first.

Does someone here have information about that?

If you're suspect on the colours, do what I do - strip of white plastic card (about 10mm wide) and brush paint some samples onto the strip... See what you get when it dries.

also allows you to tune the colours to that of the decals...

Dan